Freshwater beach hunt

FoiledAgain

Elite Member
Thought I'd try something different for a change, so I temporarily abandoned the salt water to hunt a freshwater beach. I headed straight out to neck deep and worked shore-parallel swaths, moving in toward the shore. It wasn't until I was chest deep that I realized someone had recently hunted the area -- I could see tracks and a hole here and there in the shallower water. Oh well, the tracks were pretty random and spread out, and I'd found a couple good targets, so decided to go ahead and cover the remainder. It was not an overwhelming success, but I did find a cool little green tourmaline pendant and a tungsten ring. Dang, that ring is heavy! Looked up the density, 19.3 g/cc, the same as pure gold, so it's easy to see why it could easily be divorced from a finger in cool water. It was a gorgeous fall day, and I'm satisfied to say that it was a good hunt.

Attachments

• IMG_3719.jpg
    IMG_3719.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 646
  • IMG_3720.jpg
    IMG_3720.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_3729.jpg
    IMG_3729.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 640
  • IMG_3733.jpg
    IMG_3733.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 623
  • IMG_3740.JPG
    IMG_3740.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 632
  • IMG_3743.JPG
    IMG_3743.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 644
Those tungsten rings sure feel good. That pendant is really neat.

Thought I'd try something different for a change, so I temporarily abandoned the salt water to hunt a freshwater beach. I headed straight out to neck deep and worked shore-parallel swaths, moving in toward the shore. It wasn't until I was chest deep that I realized someone had recently hunted the area -- I could see tracks and a hole here and there in the shallower water. Oh well, the tracks were pretty random and spread out, and I'd found a couple good targets, so decided to go ahead and cover the remainder. It was not an overwhelming success, but I did find a cool little green tourmaline pendant and a tungsten ring. Dang, that ring is heavy! Looked up the density, 19.3 g/cc, the same as pure gold, so it's easy to see why it could easily be divorced from a finger in cool water. It was a gorgeous fall day, and I'm satisfied to say that it was a good hunt.

I had an almost identical hunt to yours in August with a pendant and ring that are almost identical!

Nice hunt! Like the pendant. Did some creek hunting this summer, found coins, and part of a crotal bell. The deep spot was always occupied by kids, but since schools started I havent been able to get back there. Like water hunting, but Im still trying to develop techniques.

Last time I was up there Brian.. I hit a couple fresh water ponds... they were bobbie pin heaven :lol: I was hitting Mashpee and Falmouth ponds.. nice looking pendant..

That's a good day out! Love the pendent! Something about green seems mystical.

Nice hunt! Like the pendant. Did some creek hunting this summer, found coins, and part of a crotal bell. The deep spot was always occupied by kids, but since schools started I havent been able to get back there. Like water hunting, but Im still trying to develop techniques.
That’s a good hunt. I really like the pendant.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice hunt!
Thanks guys. I searched for the chain that must have been with it but had no luck.

Last time I was up there Brian.. I hit a couple fresh water ponds... they were bobbie pin heaven :lol: I was hitting Mashpee and Falmouth ponds.. nice looking pendant..
You're right, I can always count on a load of bobbie pins in the fresh water. They're usually identifiable with a double beep but I scoop them anyway just to get them off the beach. Don't find them too often in the salt.

Pretty cool, was that a Tahoe hunt? I've seen a few pendants of this type found -- they're neat but not all that common. Tungsten on the other hand....:nah::doah::dontthinkso:

Yep Tahoe, the pendant is identically shaped but with an onyx stone. The ring was a men’s wedding band. I’m pretty sure the pendants are from the same jeweler.

That's a good day out! Love the pendent! Something about green seems mystical.
Thanks OBN. I really like the color too. I'll have to get a little silver chain and mount it up, maybe for one of the granddaughters.
Great finds. I always love seeing those fresh water results. Well done.
Thanks Saltshaker. It's fun to try the freshwater once in a while. The best part is that I don't have to wash down the gear after the hunt.:yes::thumbsup:

It's nice to have a freshwater option when things are slow at the beach. :yes:
The best thing about those tungsten rings is that they could have been gold and finding them means that gold may be close by. That looks like a big one too-congrats! :yes:

I hear you on the bobbie pins...... im amazed how many of those hoop earrings can be found in AM as well. Disc machines like the Xcal sure leaves a lot of the iron metal jewerly and bobbie pins. I get those kind of stones here a good deal from people making jewelry on the beach. Most of mine are wired together thou..... even sharks teeth ones.

It's nice to have a freshwater option when things are slow at the beach. :yes:
The best thing about those tungsten rings is that they could have been gold and finding them means that gold may be close by. That looks like a big one too-congrats! :yes:
Yeah, they can be good indicators like sinkers. Hmmm, maybe that's a good use for these things -- no-snag sinkers! Just out of curiosity I weighed it -- a shade over 21 grams. Finger stretcher...:lol:

Back
Top Bottom