Large Cent Copperhead medal medallion

jim mac

I was detecting a property in central NY where a farmhouse once stood. It burned down some 80 years ago, but I have found it, and all the out buildings on an 1854 map. I found an 1856 large cent and a cut 1850 large cent in the same hole. I thought at first it was a half cent, but it is a cut-down large cent with a hole in it. After some research, I think it might be a copperhead medal or medallion. Anyone have any thoughts on this coin, or information on copperhead medallions?
Thanks,
Jim

Attachments

• copperhead1.jpg
    copperhead1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 414
  • copperhead2.jpg
    copperhead2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 286
Congrats on the nice finds. 3/4 cent?[emoji1]

Sent from my LG-H871S using Tapatalk

I was detecting a property in central NY where a farmhouse once stood. It burned down some 80 years ago, but I have found it, and all the out buildings on an 1854 map. I found an 1856 large cent and a cut 1850 large cent in the same hole. I thought at first it was a half cent, but it is a cut-down large cent with a hole in it. After some research, I think it might be a copperhead medal or medallion. Anyone have any thoughts on this coin, or information on copperhead medallions?
Thanks,
Jim

I’ve never heard of a copperhead medallion. That’s neat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Copperheads (Peace Democrats) began to use the portrait side of copper coins as badges and tokens for identification and promotion of their cause during the early years leading up to the Civil War.

Jim, it very well could be one, although the name "Copperheads" didn't come into use there until 1861, the 1850 coins like yours would still have been in circulation when these were worn.

Great find! :thumbsup:

Dit

Copperheads (Peace Democrats) began to use the portrait side of copper coins as badges and tokens for identification and promotion of their cause during the early years leading up to the Civil War.

Jim, it very well could be one, although the name "Copperheads" didn't come into use there until 1861, the 1850 coins like yours would still have been in circulation when these were worn.

Great find! :thumbsup:

Dit

Sweet! Thanks for the info, I love history... don’t we all lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dit

Exactly, the date on the coin makes it a good candidate for one.

Back
Top Bottom