A new thread on "Harvest & remove" statutes/laws

.... Nothing says anything about turning stuff in.....

And do you know why nothing in-the-code says anything about "turning stuff in" ? Simple: Because no one has asked.

Past persons may have asked "Can I metal detect?" or "Can I dig holes as long as I leave no trace ?". And sure .... they might have got a green light.

But if I went there, pointing out the explicit dis-allowance (which you agree probably does exist) and ask "Can LOS3R take things?", then they would be duty-bound to answer "no".

But as I say, for a mere $100, I can be persuaded not to ask about your activities there. I accept paypal. Ok ? :laughing:

But if I went there, pointing out the explicit dis-allowance (which you agree probably does exist) and ask "Can LOS3R take things?", then they would be duty-bound to answer "no".

But as I say, for a mere $100, I can be persuaded not to ask about your activities there. I accept paypal. Ok ? :laughing:

Well let’s not press the issue lol like you said earlier, a yes is a yes. Also like you said that particular phrase about removal is speaking of equipment. Besides they can’t prove “I” didn’t lose that ring lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using this verbiage the other direction, does this also apply to littering? Someone throws their gum wrapper on the ground, don't pick that up since you are stealing from the park. Better get permission to pick up those empty pop cans after the kids B-day party (scrappers beware) what about those needles the junkies leave behind?. Can the people who dropped those coins and rings in a park be fined for littering? Sounds like you can flip this any direction you like. :?:
That's a valid point...and if you were to detect and get into some sort of trouble, you might actually try to use that as an effective defense. I would like to see how the prosecutor would try to skirt that issue.

That's a valid point...and if you were to detect and get into some sort of trouble, you might actually try to use that as an effective defense. I would like to see how the prosecutor would try to skirt that issue.

Correct. Md'ing is not always "theft". Agreed :cool:

Hmmmm. "Excuse me, officer, but I'm a volunteer, picking up other folk's trash, not some guy violating the no digging and removing ordinance."
Somehow, I suspect they might not buy off on that.
Roger

Hmmmm. "Excuse me, officer, but I'm a volunteer, picking up other folk's trash, not some guy violating the no digging and removing ordinance."
Somehow, I suspect they might not buy off on that.
Roger

I tried that pathetic line of reasoning to a park worker once Who was trying to scram me . I pulled a few junk items from my apron to show him, telling him how I was "removing trash". He was NOT AMUSED IN THE SLIGHTEST. And correctly pointed out that it was in the ground , below the surface, and had not been bothering anyone. Doh !

dirt and grass

Using this verbiage the other direction, does this also apply to littering? Someone throws their gum wrapper on the ground, don't pick that up since you are stealing from the park. Better get permission to pick up those empty pop cans after the kids B-day party (scrappers beware) what about those needles the junkies leave behind?. Can the people who dropped those coins and rings in a park be fined for littering? Sounds like you can flip this any direction you like. :?:

Not only that, but what about the little piece of dirt that is stuck to the bottom of your shoe, or the blade of grass laying on top of your shoe??? Before long, they may have us enjoying "OUR" parks through video's only!!!:mad:

Example: A buddy of mine, who was a newbie at the time (so he simply didn't know any better) pulled up to a ranger station kiosk to pay his campground entry fee. And asked the clerk "Is it ok if I metal detect?". The confused clerk hee'd and haw'd and was thinking of what answer she would give. Then she concluded : "Well, the rules say no removing objects, so I guess the answer is no".

Hmmm..."no removing objects".

If that's REALLY enforced, that must be a VERY trashy beach, what with all the cans, bottles, beach chairs, towels, etc that people bring that "can't be removed"

Hmmm..."no removing objects".

If that's REALLY enforced, that must be a VERY trashy beach, what with all the cans, bottles, beach chairs, towels, etc that people bring that "can't be removed"

No. In that case the "littering" laws come in to effect. And if someone (like yourself) tries to point out the logical contradiction there, then it's simple: You just start with the assumption that md'ing = inherently evil and theft and dangerous, thus: Presto, problem solved: The MD'r must now grovel. Just like if you wanted to practice hand grenades, you *start* with the assumption that your activity is evil and dangerous.

With this premise in mind, then there's a distinct difference between "picking trash" and "picking up coins". Thus: You can (and should) pick up trash. But no no no, you can't pick up coins. Because that would be harmful, theft, and dangerous. Right ?

Personally, I don't see our activity as dangerous, harmful and theft. I see it as every-bit-as-benign and harmless as picking up trash.

But there are others who disagree and define md'ing to be: Intrinsically theft.

Back
Top Bottom