Can anyone help me find maps

L0S3R

Elite Member
I’m trying but failing. I need old maps for cabell county West Virginia and Lawrence county Ohio. The older the better. I’m no good at this so please help?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not sure how comfortable you are with Google Earth or how tech savvy you are in general, but I have great success finding farm fields to hunt by superimposing old county maps for my area into Google Earth using the “overlay” feature of the program.

It seems intimidating at first, but it’s easy once you figure out how to do it...and well worth the effort! For my area at least, I’ve identified literally hundreds of former home sites, farmsteads, and ghost towns that are nothing but farm fields now thanks to those overlays...enough to keep me busy for several lifetimes of detecting!

Here’s an example of a print out I made of a map overlay I did using 1886 maps - all I do is look up the owner of any field that has black box in it from the 1886 map for permission, then go find old stuff :yes: I take the print with me when I ask permission so the owner knows exactly where I’m talking about:

Attachments

• 0A2069BA-986E-41AA-954D-952A6D0C16B1.jpg
    0A2069BA-986E-41AA-954D-952A6D0C16B1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 735
Last edited:
I’m not sure how comfortable you are with Google Earth or how tech savvy you are in general, but I have great success finding farm fields to hunt by superimposing old county maps for my area into Google Earth using the “overlay” feature of the program.

It seems intimidating at first, but it’s easy once you figure out how to do it...and well worth the effort! For my area at least, I’ve identified literally hundreds of former home sites, farmsteads, and ghost towns that are nothing but farm fields now thanks to those overlays...enough to keep me busy for several lifetimes of detecting!

I know the farms I just need old maps of them. I have a certain field I have 100% access anytime I want... just need to know what was there before and where

Ah, I see! Still, overlays can sometimes help, depending how big the area is. I sometimes use an app called Maprika in the field - you can overlay a photo of any map onto a live Google map, and using your phone GPS you can practically walk up to the former front door of whatever location you’re trying to find. I once was wondering around a farm field trying to find the debris field from a long gone home site. After quite a while of fruitless searching, I loaded the overlay into Maprika, and was able to immediately walk straight to the right location - I had been at least 100 yards off target!

Ah, I see! Still, overlays can sometimes help, depending how big the area is. I sometimes use an app called Maprika in the field - you can overlay a photo of any map onto a live Google map, and using your phone GPS you can practically walk up to the former front door of whatever location you’re trying to find. I once was wondering around a farm field trying to find the debris field from a long gone home site. After quite a while of fruitless searching, I loaded the overlay into Maprika, and was able to immediately walk straight to the right location - I had been at least 100 yards off target!

But where do you get the good, old maps to overlay? If you can’t tell this is definitely not my specialty. I know this farm was a dairy farm way back when, but I have no dates or locations. I know where the well was/is and 1 barn.

When you zero in on a farm, Google your state, county, or town and LIDAR. It can show you exactly where the holes are.

Back
Top Bottom