Silver Spoon and other mid-1800 'treasures'

DoctorWhy

Today, maintaining social distancing precautions, I hiked 1/2 mile into the woods, alone, to do some metal detecting around an long-abandoned homestead with house and barn foundations. Found several period artifacts including a 1882 Indian Head penny, ornate button, small brass clothing buckle, brass spoon handle, and a delicate silver tea spoon.

Doing a little research, the spoon is from Lowell,MA, made by a silversmith named "Amos Sandborn" around 1840-1860. It is 'coin silver' -- an alloy containing 90% silver. I wish the silver spoon could restored to its original splendor... Even in its current condition it was a joy to find; a 'bucket list' item.

The brass spoon handle has what appears to be several back marks -- looking like 'hallmarks' that one would find on a silver spoon.

The ornate two-piece button still has a bit of gold gilt onit. I also wish I could read the back-mark on the button, It would give information as to its approximate age.

Stay well, stay safe, and happy hunting!
--Bert

Attachments

• SilverSpoon_sm.jpg
    SilverSpoon_sm.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 220
  • IndianHeadPenny_1882_sm.jpg
    IndianHeadPenny_1882_sm.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 198
  • GiltTwoPieceButton_sm.jpg
    GiltTwoPieceButton_sm.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 197
  • BrassSpoonHandle_sm.jpg
    BrassSpoonHandle_sm.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 199
  • BrassBuckle_sm.jpg
    BrassBuckle_sm.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 197
Great finds.

My best guess on the button is post CW up to 1900 (possibly contemporaneity with the IHC). This is called the 'golden age of buttons' and that one is typical of the high quality buttons produced.
I have a few like that one, different patterns, but with gilt.

The brass spoons may have been silver plated thus have hallmarks.
Handle design is typical in early 1800's but still available today.

The silver spoon could be repaired and restored to its former glory.

Great finds.

My best guess on the button is post CW up to 1900 (possibly contemporaneity with the IHC). This is called the 'golden age of buttons' and that one is typical of the high quality buttons produced.
I have a few like that one, different patterns, but with gilt.

The brass spoons may have been silver plated thus have hallmarks.
Handle design is typical in early 1800's but still available today.

The silver spoon could be repaired and restored to its former glory.

Hi waltr,

Thanks for the information and the encouraging news about the spoon. On the island where I live in Maine there is a large artists' colony with several accomplished silversmiths. I'll have to check with them to see about restoration -- once we are no longer 'socially distancing'..

Regarding the 'golden age of buttons', last summer I found this example at the same site -- interesting 'Asian' motif.

Best,
--Bert

Attachments

• Button_TwoPiece__7-19_sm.jpg
    Button_TwoPiece__7-19_sm.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 171
excellent play-by-play and pix as usual. Love those early early silverware items. They just drip with history.

Nice bunch of relics Doc. Congrats on the Ihp and silver spoon, and the other cool finds. I would love to dig a silver spoon. Good luck, Mark

Back
Top Bottom