• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

First Curb Strip Hunt

I grew up here and was a city firefighter for 25 years. I know most everyone, but the older parts of our city have some less desirable people living in them now. I will try to join him in the future. I had some business cards made, with my information on them, that I can give out to people for their own reference. Also, offer free assistance to them or their family should the lose something. We'll see how it goes.....
That's a great idea too...the business cards I mean.

2nd time out on the public curbs. Lady was not impressed with hole. Even after I showed her the plug hinge. Funny that I am 2 for 2 and I have read some of you have curb strip hunted for years and never had a complaint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did some more curb stripping. Less people out during the pandemic made it nice but 4 hours and only 1 wheat was rough. Curb strips are now getting boring in my town.

IMG_1668.jpg
60773695562__AFB8DA87-F958-4230-8A55-B2ED657BF5EF.jpg
IMG_1669.jpg
60773730425__9640B74F-838D-41C1-8163-D26CD4D25AD1.jpg

So I tried headphones for the first time today. It has changed the way I detect. Everything made sense with them on. I dont know how to explain it. Now starting to gel with my machine. Oldest coin for me 1910.

Nice! I haven't done curb strips yet. Like others I've been nervous about it. I guess it is about time to dive in.

Congrats on the Buff!

Its definitely interesting. I use google earth to find strips in old neighborhoods that have houses converted into businesses. I figure those people dont feel as much ownership in it. I also seek out strips on corners of homes, empty lots, and zoom into houses with boards on windows/doors. Once I start there and get comfortable, I start hitting the rest of the strips. Would you detect the upper strip, lower strip or both?
3954a7476f950bb1b27fdf9af8c62712.jpg

cfef27d0adb561db11d61649f9249b4e.jpg

2nd time out on the public curbs. Lady was not impressed with hole. Even after I showed her the plug hinge. Funny that I am 2 for 2 and I have read some of you have curb strip hunted for years and never had a complaint.

have hunted them off and on for a long time.my experience here in new england is people don't care,UNLESS they are taking care of the strip in front of their house, then you can get some grief, but for the most part they basically think you are just a weird old harmless f**k...just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Its definitely interesting. I use google earth to find strips in old neighborhoods that have houses converted into businesses. I figure those people dont feel as much ownership in it. I also seek out strips on corners of homes, empty lots, and zoom into houses with boards on windows/doors. Once I start there and get comfortable, I start hitting the rest of the strips. Would you detect the upper strip, lower strip or both?
3954a7476f950bb1b27fdf9af8c62712.jpg

cfef27d0adb561db11d61649f9249b4e.jpg

both! i don't worry about it! just do it, and have fun!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Ya i found a Rosie there prior taking the pics off goggle earth. My point was showing places a lot of people wouldnt do but would miss some silver and the hypo.

Had an hour break in rain. Went to place I hunted last week. They have now ripped up most of the driveway, spread the gravel pile and rutted up the place removing trees.

First Merc
And a Big First

fbda187c11f9bb9b29cc4d4d397dcd6b.jpg

03b57c771a780d5c2d5071f89350e35d.jpg

Finding curb strips that have not been filled is always key in those old parts of town. I like hitting them when they have sidewalks torn out as well. Less people question me because they think I'm just one of the construction workers doing something... :hammerin:

Ya it was fun until the end. Just wish I didnt have to worry about ppl getting weird about it.

It's THEM that's weird, not YOU! Remember that! There are plenty of curb strips to detect and if someone says something to me about detecting a public strip in front of their home, I don't argue with them, in fact, I try to get permission to detect their yard. There's no need to cause a fuss over a few feet of grass, so if I can't change their mind, I just move along to the next one. If you see someone watching you from another yard, drop your headphones and walk towards them and introduce yourself. After little chit-chatting ask them would it be OK for you to detect their yard. Where ever you are, act as if you belong there and wave and smile at people.

beephead

09531afcfea7471bd7d710ccbe2aa7da.jpg

Knocked down another merc and some old belt buckles today.

Back
Top Bottom