Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Stories and Pictures of Finds

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-12-2015, 06:56 PM
DIGGER27's Avatar
DIGGER27 DIGGER27 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas
Posts: 15,470
Default Cool key...

Went back to the site I call the iron mine today for the first time since last year, just looking for any cool things that still might be hanging out that I missed.
Found this cool thing, some kind of key but not as large as a full skeleton key.
It has a hole so I guess it goes on a key chain, but I don't know what kind of door it would fit...if it is for a door.
Maybe an old padlock?
If anyone has a clue what this thing is actually used to open that would be great.
At the same site I also found this old keyhole escutcheon plate, always a great day when I find one of these.
Attached Images
 

__________________
If attacked by a pack of clowns...go for the juggler! "
I currently use a Nox, an F70, and a Mojave...plus a retired F2 and Compadre still stand at the ready for guests.

Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 03-12-2015, 09:29 PM
lockollector lockollector is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Darlington, Maryland
Posts: 80
Default

skeleton keys have been around for hundreds of years and used for darn near every kind of lock. I have a few that match your style key. Most of that style were issued by hotels, ship cabins etc. with the room number stamped on one side and a business name or initials on the other. I would research possible hotels/inns with those initials that may exist or have existed in that area.
Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 03-12-2015, 09:33 PM
steveFL steveFL is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 466
Default

Very cool, love the old stuff such as this. Congrats!

__________________
Tesoro Amigo II : 2015 - Clad: $56.71, Silver coins: 1 (1947 Roosevelt), Wheats: 5, Oldest coin: 1911 V nickel, Gold: 1, .925: 3

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 03-12-2015, 09:38 PM
stinger's Avatar
stinger stinger is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: POUGHKEEPSIE NY HUDSON VALLEY
Posts: 3,542
Default

Originally Posted by lockollector View post
skeleton keys have been around for hundreds of years and used for darn near every kind of lock. I have a few that match your style key. Most of that style were issued by hotels, ship cabins etc. with the room number stamped on one side and a business name or initials on the other. I would research possible hotels/inns with those initials that may exist or have existed in that area.
can you give guess on this
Attached Images
    

__________________
AT/PRO/MX Sport, Black Widow headphones, Whites Digger,Garretts II Pointer

Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 03-12-2015, 10:10 PM
lockollector lockollector is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Darlington, Maryland
Posts: 80
Default

Originally Posted by stinger View post
can you give guess on this
Square tip keys had a lot of furniture applications. I believe the most common application was by the Singer Sewing Machine Co. On their cabinets.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 03-12-2015, 10:13 PM
stinger's Avatar
stinger stinger is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: POUGHKEEPSIE NY HUDSON VALLEY
Posts: 3,542
Default

Originally Posted by lockollector View post
Square tip keys had a lot of furniture applications. I believe the most common application was by the Singer Sewing Machine Co. On their cabinets.
not square tip though look at the front

__________________
AT/PRO/MX Sport, Black Widow headphones, Whites Digger,Garretts II Pointer

Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 03-12-2015, 10:15 PM
BBsGal's Avatar
BBsGal BBsGal is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern Oklahoma
Posts: 3,497
Default

Originally Posted by stinger View post
not square tip though look at the front
I may be way off base but it looks to me like the wick key off of an oil lamp

__________________
CTX-3030, F2, F44, GPP, XP. Since 01/2014. 2892 Clad Coins, 15 Silver Coins, 1 War Nickel, 1 Buff, 56 Wheats, 2 Foreign Coins. Oldest: 1879 Morgan, 1909 Wheat, 2 Sterling Rings, 1 Gold Ring, 1 Big Indian Chief Sterling Pendant, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 03-12-2015, 10:15 PM
stinger's Avatar
stinger stinger is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: POUGHKEEPSIE NY HUDSON VALLEY
Posts: 3,542
Default

look at the front
Attached Images
 

__________________
AT/PRO/MX Sport, Black Widow headphones, Whites Digger,Garretts II Pointer

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 03-12-2015, 10:25 PM
BBsGal's Avatar
BBsGal BBsGal is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southern Oklahoma
Posts: 3,497
Default

Originally Posted by DIGGER27 View post
Went back to the site I call the iron mine today for the first time since last year, just looking for any cool things that still might be hanging out that I missed.
Found this cool thing, some kind of key but not as large as a full skeleton key.
It has a hole so I guess it goes on a key chain, but I don't know what kind of door it would fit...if it is for a door.
Maybe an old padlock?
If anyone has a clue what this thing is actually used to open that would be great.
At the same site I also found this old keyhole escutcheon plate, always a great day when I find one of these.
I'm afraid I can't offer much as to what it would open, all I can do is admire your finds! They're really beautiful objects and I sometimes wish I had lived when even such simple things were so nicely made.

__________________
CTX-3030, F2, F44, GPP, XP. Since 01/2014. 2892 Clad Coins, 15 Silver Coins, 1 War Nickel, 1 Buff, 56 Wheats, 2 Foreign Coins. Oldest: 1879 Morgan, 1909 Wheat, 2 Sterling Rings, 1 Gold Ring, 1 Big Indian Chief Sterling Pendant, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 03-12-2015, 10:27 PM
stinger's Avatar
stinger stinger is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: POUGHKEEPSIE NY HUDSON VALLEY
Posts: 3,542
Default

Originally Posted by BBsGal View post
I may be way off base but it looks to me like the wick key off of an oil lamp
i think you may be right on this one

__________________
AT/PRO/MX Sport, Black Widow headphones, Whites Digger,Garretts II Pointer

Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 03-12-2015, 11:14 PM
Wampus Cat Wampus Cat is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: West Central Louisiana
Posts: 1,353
Default

Cool find - congrats!!

__________________
Garrett AT PRO

Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 03-13-2015, 01:06 AM
SWKDigger's Avatar
SWKDigger SWKDigger is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Western Kansas
Posts: 848
Default

Great find Digger. Thanks for sharing.

__________________
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter QDII, Pro Pointer, Fisher Pinpointer (X2)
Clad: 2013: $105.22, 2014: $183.47, 2015: $7.34, Total: $296.03

Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 03-13-2015, 05:18 AM
RVS's Avatar
RVS RVS is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: long island
Posts: 261
Default

nice finds . Congrats

__________________
▶ Minelab Explorer se pro,AT pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, oldest,1729 KG II Half Penny

Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 03-13-2015, 11:12 AM
lockollector lockollector is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Darlington, Maryland
Posts: 80
Default

Originally Posted by stinger View post
look at the front
Sorry but i cant.make.out.your pic.
Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 03-13-2015, 01:13 PM
GroundSweeper's Avatar
GroundSweeper GroundSweeper is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Placer Co., CA
Posts: 17,222
Default

Very cool! Would look great in a shadowbox frame!

__________________
EQX800, Dos Compadres : 2020 (Total (4/13 to date)) - Clad: $71.19 ($1045.18), Silver coins: 12 (38), Wheats: 38 (144), Gold: 1 (27), Plat: 0 (1), .925 7 (84), Rings: 13 (227), Oldest Coins: 1920 wheat, 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; Chinese cash coin

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.