A pirate's POV on keeping booty???

I'm all for finding an ambiguous item but I don't understand how someone can be callous to finding a possession of someone who has publicly posted their loss. If you feel that is ok plunder the seas & beaches, then it should be equally ok for law makers be callous of MD rights and plunder in laws and regulations. Tit for tat so speak.

If you feel that is ok plunder the seas & beaches, then it should be equally ok for law makers be callous of MD rights and plunder in laws and regulations. Tit for tat so speak.

Not even close to being the same or related, "law makers" are paid for, speak for, and judged by, everyone...

This pirate is self supported, speaks for himself, and only has one real Judge..

I don't search for postings of lost items and try to find them before somebody...

If somebody tells me they lost a ring, and points to where, and gives a description, they will get it back if I find it...

<*)))>{

I'm all for finding an ambiguous item but I don't understand how someone can be callous to finding a possession of someone who has publicly posted their loss. If you feel that is ok plunder the seas & beaches, then it should be equally ok for law makers be callous of MD rights and plunder in laws and regulations. Tit for tat so speak.

Who are you referring to? Do you know of someone who kept a item that was advertised as lost?

Is that item you have making you gush guilt?

When I find something that someone lost its just a item... I don't feel or ask myself I wonder who lost it and what they feel.. honestly I don't care...

Some should really find a new hobby because this guilt stuff makes me nauseous.. :yes:

If somebody tells me they lost a ring, and points to where, and gives a description, they will get it back if I find it...
<*)))>{

:dingding: awesome, a man with some integrity! This hobby is all about finding treasure, and I commend those that do their due-diligence in regards to lost/found items. However, it would appear that many of this thread's posts come off with the attitude of "I don't care if someone is looking for it or not, its mine, mine, mine!"

:dingding: awesome, a man with some integrity! This hobby is all about finding treasure, and I commend those that do their due-diligence in regards to lost/found items. However, it would appear that many of this thread's posts come off with the attitude of "I don't care if someone is looking for it or not, its mine, mine, mine!"

I think I know what DND is refering to. There are some that go through the lost and found on this or other sites where a person in distress has posted almost EXACTLY where the item was lost THINKING all here are honest and will find it for them. BUT we all know there are lurkers here that will try to find it so they can sell it not caring what the person that lost it feels.

I know a few times where mods have edited the lost and found section to take out important information as to not draw these types of detectorists to our site.

We ALL know there are CROOKS in EVERY PROFFESSION. Someone just out for themselves.

IN fact I can give a GREAT example. I was hired by a distraught couple that lost a ring off the back of their boat in THEIR own slip. They asked me how much I wanted to look for it. I told them NOTHING. If I find it they can give me what they feel is right.

They said WOW , we hired another guy and he charged 300.00 UP FRONT but never located it. I spent THREE HOURS behind their boat and took EVERY signal out of there. The ring wasn't there. Not only did the guy pocket 300.00 he took their 15 grand ring. I am POSITIVE of it.

I will never charge up front to look for something with all my gear.

Last edited:
Well stated Scuba. In the interest of both those that lost an item and those that find them, there is something the forum can do to create a better awareness of the situation. For instance, ethically, the forum suggests all personal type items should be researched before keeping. But this should also be restated to those that lost an item with the addition of what it takes to really incentify the return of an item. Ie, the value of a reward, based on melt value.

I returned a diamond and was well compensated but not so much for a regular gold ring. Therefore, I understand why some hobbyist would like to just keep an item, but would they keep it if the reward was a close wash?

All the gold rings I have found were thrown away. Nobody lost them. The person got tired of it or tossed it from a broken marriage. If someone is looking for a lost ring I stay away unless someone asks me for help. To be clear, I only keep rings where people tossed them. Nobody loses rings by mistake. Besides, I have never found a gold ring. I paint all the brass rings I find and post them.

Besides, I have never found a gold ring. I paint all the brass rings I find and post them.
laughing, the kids were just watching a Bugs Bunny cartoon where he was painting rocks to look like gold nuggets. Now all I can imagine is Bugs with a Sov GT.

Some folks can get along even if they disagree. Some try to bully someone to cede their opinion. I prefer the company of the former.

I've returned rings, cellphones, etc. problem is if you put too much importance on finding lost items, you will not sleep at night melting a wedding band. If you turn it in to the police, they'll melt it and put it into their retirement fund. When I was a pipefitter we had a job at an FOP lodge. They were gonna auction off a bunch of stolen bicycles not claimed. Someone broke in and stole all the bicycles before the auction:lol::laughing:

Who are you referring to? Do you know of someone who kept a item that was advertised as lost?

Is that item you have making you gush guilt?

When I find something that someone lost its just a item... I don't feel or ask myself I wonder who lost it and what they feel.. honestly I don't care...

Some should really find a new hobby because this guilt stuff makes me nauseous.. :yes:

I like it,Show me the money!!! You are a real pirate,like me.:pirate:

Back
Top Bottom