Tried to scam me

frhamlet

Forum Supporter
I put my detector on craigslist and a guy named "paul" said he would send me a check and then have his mover come and pick up the item. Then I got an email from (donna) saying she was interested in buying the detector and how should we proceed. I sent paul an email telling him I would only use paypal and I sent donna an email with my phone # and nothing about paypal. Donna emailed me back and told me "ok paypal" This scammer was trying to get me from two different directions. Be careful if you ever sell anything on CL.

Scammer

Yes He is a Scammer i have adds on Craigslist Do Not Deal with him!! Make it cash he will stop sending emails...

There's a TON of them. A popular one too is "Oh man my secretary cut a check but it's too large. Could you just deposit it and send back the difference?" Then the check turns out to be fake so you're out money and whatever you just sold.

I rented my first "home" in Colorado off of CL.......don't know why I didn't use a realtor.

The mobile home only had half a floor in the kitchen (the rest was particle board) and the pilot lights for the heat and the water heater would blow out anytime the wind was above 25 mph.......like almost everyday. Only two burners on the stove worked and you had to start the dishwasher by banging on a certain spot on the front of it. It was a very interesting 12 months......

Dusty

I have both bought and sold on C.L. without any problems
BUT I only deal in cash and face to face
That eliminates most scammers but even then not all some still try
and of course I still get the picture collectors

The best deals on CL........

are done face to face! Local and in cash in a safe place. Read the rules there and you can prevent scams, but you have to be vigilant in any forum looking out for these thieves in this economy. Now, I have to get going I am expecting a DHL letter confirming my 1.6 million pounds sterling from a guy in London who needs to transfer it for a King in Dubai who has no internet. Apparently the lines are down. :shock:

I put my detector on craigslist and a guy named "paul" said he would send me a check and then have his mover come and pick up the item. Then I got an email from (donna) saying she was interested in buying the detector and how should we proceed. I sent paul an email telling him I would only use paypal and I sent donna an email with my phone # and nothing about paypal. Donna emailed me back and told me "ok paypal" This scammer was trying to get me from two different directions. Be careful if you ever sell anything on CL.

I heard from the same people. I had an outboard motor for sale when I received this scam. They always use that "mover" line.

Craigslist can locate a genuine buyer but there are lots of crooks on there as well (as you know).

All emails I get from CL go into the trash bin if the inquirer doesn't include a sensible message. I never accept Paypal payments. Paypal is way too buyer centered and will all too easily grant refunds. All the crooks must do is return a box weighted with junk. Paypal demands all returns be sent back with tracking so it appears the parcel was returned. The buyer gets a full refund and you're stuck with an empty box. The only possible way to avoid this is to open the return box in front of your Postmaster. Then he or she can state the box was empty. However, this may still not work due to Paypal's extreme favoritism toward buyers.

The sum is this, Paypal is easy to use but all sellers who accept it are just begging for scammers to come and cheat them. But for buyers Paypal is awesome.

For items to be shipped I accept either a check or money order with the agreement of time to clear my bank (even some money orders are fakes so check them out).

If an item is picked up it must always be paid for with cash. I just sold a garden tractor and the guy paid cash. The honest people have no problem with these conditions. It's the crooks who have the fits. Let them get mad and then forget them.

I only do cash in person on CL and meet somewhere public and not at my house. If I'm selling a car I never let anyone in my house. I also refuse to give out my phone number on CL. I had an big issue with that. I only communicate by email. I actually had a guy keep calling me to cuss me out because I wouldn't drop the price on a Camaro. It went on for two weeks. I had him arrested because he actually came to my house during the night and stole the emblems off the car. My neighbor got his tag number. CL is a crazy place. I've used it alot and got many scammer emails over the years.

Yeah, tons of scams and phishing emails to be found on CL. They are always easy to spot tho, to the trained eye I guess. I just hope no one really falls into their traps, but I guess they wouldn't still be doing it if they didn't get a few suckers here and there. What a shame. :no:

Craigslist is loaded with scammers... I tried selling some of my gold finds there and was offered up to $300/$400 dollars what I was offering :yes:

They wanted me to send the gold to someplace in Africa for a priest yeah right... :D

Craigslist is loaded with scammers... I tried selling some of my gold finds there and was offered up to $300/$400 dollars what I was offering :yes:

They wanted me to send the gold to someplace in Africa for a priest yeah right... :D

You could send it to me and I'll say a prayer for ya......:lol:

Thats not the first time I heard that same story. I heard that story from a lot of people. Good thing you knew what you were doing. Good luck with selling your detector.

Back
Top Bottom