GTI-2500: Where's the serial number?

emfederin

Elite Member
I'm sending my 2500 back to garrett.

The rep at garrett told me to fill out their on-line warranty (even though I got the machine 23 months ago) to possibly get the work done under warranty.

The reg form asks for a serial number. The only numbers I can find on it are on a silver sticker on the shaft, which are "49020572" and "GG10899".

I suppose one of them is the serial number, but which one?

Thanks, anyone!!

Garrett RULEZ!!

Well...since nobody answered my plea, I had to roll up my sleeves and get down to work pushing phone buttons. :lol:

I called garrett and asked them which one it was, and the guy told me it was the 8-digit number.

Guess I should'a done that in the first place... :roll:

But the really good news is that I don't have to sweat trying to "prove" I bought it 23 months ago - when I told him the serial number, HE told ME that it was sold in june of 09!!! Cool!

And then he told me to send it in, and if there were any problems they would fix it under warranty!

I'm a happy camper now!! :clapping:

Sorry no one helped you. I'm not familiar with the location of serial numbers etc on the GTI2500. I hope they get it fixed for you quickly...

Thanks for the sentiments, and no apology is necessary. I didn't take it personally or anything that I got no responses. I knew when I posted it that it could probably only be answered by someone with a 2500 or 1500, and there just aren't that many of us here. I just took a shot in the dark in asking... :yes:

Beyond that, I also hope they fix it quickly. I just checked out a few interesting spots, and I wanna HIT THEM!!! :lol:

Now I KNOW my machine is bonkers!!

I'm pushing the envelope as far as getting my machine back to garrett before my warranty expires, but I keep thinking that it's *ME* and not the machine.

But today I was out to a place where I had high expectations for coinage, with a reasonable expectation of silver.

I was out for about 2 hours, and getting a LOT of erratic signals and falsing. I got a few solid hits, but then they would go ragged, then clean, then ragged again, but always showing somewhere in the coin range, though it varied. I dug one of them, and it was a bottlecap. After about half an hour, just for kicks I notched out everything under a dime. That quieted down the machine considerably, but I was getting almost no hits at all. I got one clean signal, but in all metal, I traced a target abut a foot long. When I reswept it, I got a good signal all along it's length, maybe a buried copper tube or something. I got a few of the irritating "disappearing coin" crap, where I would find what looked like a dime or quarter about 2" down, but when I went to dig it, the signal disappeared completely.

The final insult came as I went to another spot about 50 ft away. I carried the machine by the shaft, and the damned thing started bonging at me with every step. So I stood still, held the machine by the shaft horizontal to the ground and moved it rapidly up and down - bong-bong-bong with every move.

Totally disgusted, I turned it off and came home.

Now for the fun part: I came in the house, got my video camera to document it, went outside, turned on the machine and started to shake it as I had before. It was FLAWLESS! I couldn't get a bouncy-bong out of it to save my freaging LIFE!

Garrett wants a "short" note describing my problem, but I don't think all the problems I've had will FIT on a short note.

Come hell or high water, I've had it: it's going back tomorrow. With a LONG note.

On the bright side, I did manage to find a clad dime and a quarter. [sigh...]

Sorry about your luck... I'd send it in too. Got to love intermittent problems. Try dealing with them on a car. It's even worse... :mad:

Sorry about your luck... I'd send it in too. Got to love intermittent problems. Try dealing with them on a car. It's even worse... :mad:

Heheh...been there, done that! I once had a car (I think it was my grenada) that would just cut out every once in awhile while I was driving. It never overheated, but it would start back up again if I let it sit for about 15 minutes. Almost went broke changing the fuel pump, wires, points...NOTHING worked, and it always took days or weeks to find out "that didn't work, either". It had other problems, too, and I just ended up junking the damned thing without ever solving that particular problem.

So..."I feel your pain" :lol:

Had similar problems years ago with both my 1500 and 2500 both bought used.
Garrett replaced both coils Free and paid return shipping.

How's that for service.:D

i'm surprised non of the sponsers chimmed in on your question, anyway glad your gettin the problem taken care of, i've always had great service from garrett in the past.

Back
Top Bottom