ethical requirement when you find a ring?

Honest, I did not think this would happen. Remember I am green!

Dont worry about it. This happens all the time until the weather gets better. Good luck and return the damn ring if there is a name inside if at all posible.Just because someone dropped something it does not make it yours. Someone drops a wallet with all his info in it, it is not yours it still belongs to its owner. Someone loses their wedding band with their name on it look it up,try to find them. If you cant find them then it is yours. Im returned a 17.2 gram 14k navy ring to the wife of its owner. He passed a month prior but still it was in the proper owners hand. Im not going to say it did not sting a little,it did. But it is the right hing to do.

Not mine... to each their own... if someone asks me to search for a lost item not a problem.. but if I find an item enjoying my hobby its mine... I didn't spend all the money I did on my beach machines and equipment to find clad :laughing:

What I mean, is a lot of people are a heck of a lot more "talkative" sitting behind their computer. :D

As far as some of the other people posting, ask your selves this, would you be proud of what you've written here if your child was to read it? Welcome to the "friendly" metal detecting forum.

in·teg·ri·ty
/inˈtegritē/
Noun
The quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.
The state of being whole and undivided: "territorial integrity".
Synonyms
honesty - probity - entirety - rectitude - wholeness

As far as people reading the forum, there are people who get on here because they lost something and want help finding it. Diggers is give us a bad name? This thread is doing more damage than Diggers ever could.

LOL this topic is as bad as politics, religion, hunting graveyards, and trespassing.

VERY SIMPLE AND EASY CONCLUSION!!!

Do what YOU feel is right. Do NOT judge others for doing what THEY feel is right.

YOU and ONLY you can decide how you want to handle the situation.

I return all I can. I have FRIENDS that do NOT. I REFUSE to judge them and they stay my friends.

VERY SIMPLE SOLUTION. All you people that judge need to learn to tolerate others views. PERIOD

Well said........

What I mean, is a lot of people are a heck of a lot more "talkative" sitting behind their computer. :D

As far as some of the other people posting, ask your selves this, would you be proud of what you've written here if your child was to read it? Welcome to the "friendly" metal detecting forum.

in·teg·ri·ty
/inˈtegritē/
Noun
The quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.
The state of being whole and undivided: "territorial integrity".
Synonyms
honesty - probity - entirety - rectitude - wholeness

As far as people reading the forum, there are people who get on here because they lost something and want help finding it. Diggers is give us a bad name? This thread is doing more damage than Diggers ever could.

what????so if some of us (me included) decide not to spend time and effort in finding someone that lost an item we found...it means we have few or no morals? or integrity? or character ? dahell? and since YOU have decided we're of low morals and values, we're now automatically unfriendly? :laughing::laughing:
I am going to keep this reply friendly, even though i've been insulted along with basically this entire forum, by a relative newcomer that is sure quick to alienate said forum while standing on a soapbox. <headshake>

Honest, I did not think this would happen. Remember I am green!

what????so if some of us (me included) decide not to spend time and effort in finding someone that lost an item we found...it means we have few or no morals? or integrity? or character ? dahell? and since YOU have decided we're of low morals and values, we're now automatically unfriendly? :laughing::laughing:
I am going to keep this reply friendly, even though i've been insulted along with basically this entire forum, by a relative newcomer that is sure quick to alienate said forum while standing on a soapbox. <headshake>

No soapbox. You know what is right and what is wrong. Taking something from someone else is dishonest. I would do without before taking something that does not belong to me. Tracable personal items should be returned. Im not judging you. I think your judging yourself and dont like it.

You drop you cellphone in a store someone picks it up jailbreaks it and sells it. That was his property because he found it right??Wrong!! your friends and family phone numbers were in the phone so he can trace it back to you.

Do what you want but keep it to yourself because of the impression you can leave on others.

I haven't insulted or alienated anyone. I merely asked a question, about the kids, stated a fact, the definition of integrity, and posted an opinion, about diggers. Never said a word about anyone's morals. Guilty conscience?:laughing:
As far as friendly, read over this thread, you'll find a few unfriendly posts. As for the new comer thing, I've been a member for like a year less than you. I guess I just spend more time mding than playing on the computer. Hence a hundred and something post count as to a three thousand and something post count:cheers:

I haven't insulted or alienated anyone. I merely asked a question, about the kids, stated a fact, the definition of integrity, and posted an opinion, about diggers. Never said a word about anyone's morals. Guilty conscience?:laughing:
As far as friendly, read over this thread, you'll find a few unfriendly posts. As for the new comer thing, I've been a member for like a year less than you. I guess I just spend more time mding than playing on the computer. Hence a hundred and something post count as to a three thousand and something post count:cheers:

Unfriendly posts were deleted :D

As to morals? :laughing: I could care less about what anyone thinks of mine to be honest... I have fun detecting and whether I choose to return an item or not is no ones business but my own... those who believe in karma go for it... those who don't welcome to the darkside... we have cookies :lol:

Well, certainly an interesting thread. It DOES give one something to think about. Again, I'm a newbie and haven't found my first item yet. Time may change my views, perhaps. From what I've read and thought about I have this (for whatever it's worth): It's a very windy day today. The wind takes my patio umbrella and carries it over the chain link fence to my neighbors yard. He comes home before me and "finds" what I "lost". His? Nope and I'm pretty certain Ohio law will back me on this. He "TOOK" what was "MINE".

Now, I receive my MD next week. Assemble it, read the manual, head out to my back yard. My house was built in 1943. Prior to that (an old-timer told me years ago) the land was part of a large wooded lot where kids roamed and played and people walked their dogs. So.... I try out my machine and BINGO! I find a 1932 half dollar, 9" deep. Now to keep this, am I "taking/stealing" what "belongs" to someone else? Really? You think so? I mean, truly, if I did "proper" investigation - I could perhaps find the owner. I mean, should I spend $5000 on a team of private detectives who get DNA samples and compare them to the 2 families that had lived in my house before I bought it in 1986?? If I don't do this is my "integrity" tarnished and my "honor" diminished? Sound a bit ludicrous?

I hope so, it was meant to be. I'm not sure what the Ohio Laws are concerning finds on PRIVATE or PUBLIC property. I will certainly have to research that. What is "moral" or not? What absolutes are there? What efforts on the part of the finder to discover the true owner are sufficient? And what qualifies me to claim them to be lacking in integrity or morality because they don't reach the bar that I have set? All this is food for thought for me. That's not a bad thing. I would like to fall on the good side of caution, but I don't want to agonize over every find or scrutinze the find of others. It seems there are some basic guidlines and I will certainly give them consideration.

*whew* all this before coffee. And yeah, I don't even have 100 posts or found my first target so take it for what you will... I AM kinda an older dude, though, and life has taught me much concerning general morality and judging the morality of others. I DO value my integrity, it's one of the few things in life you have control over.

Now can I have my cookie??

Martha Stewart has morals and she did jail time:lol: If you're snowed in,they do make whats call a depression light. Buy two in case one blows out. And don't be speeding to the store. That would be morally wrong! A ticket could ruin ones reputation forever.

OPPS i acciedently smelted that:laughing: naaa if its got a name its go back here turns out this is the right move good JU-JU is better than $$$ anyday brudder:D

You know maybe I don't understand other people's opinion because I don't need the money. Not that im rich but 200-500 dollars really don't matter to me. I make a good living with my pension and can do as I please.Maybe my opinion is different because I was a cop? Maybe if I lived in a tent on the beach in florida and needed food or something my opinion would change. I have always got what I wanted in life because I always did the right thing.

Back
Top Bottom