• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Teknetics T2 Help

CTKidd

Elite Member
Recently picked up the T2, and have taken it out about 4 times now. Getting to know the machine, and have to say so far that I love it. I was hoping that people could share with me their settings for various soil / hunting conditions.

So far I have taken it relic hunting, and coin shooting. I love its quick response and it has been accurate for me on the VDI up to 12" past that, typically the VDI seems to start to be shaky after the 8-10" mark. I am used to tone hunting though from my previous machines, and I will dig deeper targets if they sound good. Deepest coin so far was over my Leche by 2-3 inches, so probably close to 15" mark. It was an accurately ID'd dime (1957). The pin pointer had it center of the hole in the bottom so I am sure that it didn't fall in from a wall as I was in the woods and had a big plug dug with my shovel. To be fair though this was after a rain, in nice forest dirt floor, no roots. I was hunting at Sens 90, Disc 16, Tone 2+.

I have also used it in the tot lot to coin shoot. Disc 35, Sens 75, Tone 2+, this was with the standard coil, even with the above settings I couldn't get closer that 6" from the equipment and I would be picking them up. I have yet to slap on the 4" coil and give it a run.

I found this list of settings:

Beach: Tone 3b Sens 90 Disc 40
Relic hunting: Tone +3 Sens 90 disc 10
Iron contaminated ground Tone Dp Sens 75 Disc 18
Iron contaminated ground(2) Sens 70 Disc 15 Tone 2+
Stubble Tone: 1 Sens 60 Disc 25-35
Ancient Sites: Sens 70 Disc 15 Tone 2+
Hard Ground: Sens 75 Disc 18 Tone Dp
Coin Shooting: Sens 95 Disc 35 Tone 1
Riverbank: Sens 90 Disc 35 Tone 1
Pasture: Sens 85 Disc 5 Tone 2+
Dig everything! Sens 70 Disc 5 Tone 1
-Taken from http://metaldetectorreviews.net/detectors/171-1-tekneticst2.html the review written by Andy in the UK.

I also found this site which is a very good read for anyone who owns or is thinking about buying a T2:
http://www.garysdetecting.co.uk/teknetics_t2.htm

Taken from the Manual of T2 special edition:

The “# OF TONES” selections are:
1: Single Medium pitch tone.
Discrimination is continuous, not sampled. Good for use in plowed or rocky ground.

1+: Medium-to-High pitch tone varying in proportion to target signal strength.
Large shallow objects will produce a squeal. The variable audio pitch provides you more
information about the detected object, but some people find the sound on strong signals too
annoying. Good for use in plowed or rocky ground.

2+: Two tones.
Similar to 1+, except that iron produces a low-pitched tone regardless signal strength. The
discriminator is continuous. However, the iron tone feature relies on a combination of
continuous and sampled processing. Useful if you want to hear all targets.

3: Three different audio tones. Iron produces a low pitched tone. Aluminum trash and
zinc pennies produce a medium tone. Most other coins, including nickels, produce a high
tone. A combination of continuous and sampled processing reduces the breaking up of the
tone due to deep objects, or multiple objects close together. This method is usually preferred
if you are searching for coins in a trashy area. Most users will set the discrimination level
below nickels, at about 50, and dig only objects that produce a consistent and repeatable high
tone. NOTE: with this method, some steel bottle caps produce consistent high tones, similar to
coins (see section on bottle cap identification)

3b: Bottle Cap Mode Similar to 3, but modified so that
steel bottle caps will usually produce inconsistent, or nonrepeatable, tones and broken sounds. There may be a
slight reduction in the ability to separate adjacent targets.
Use this method in areas with a high concentration of
steel bottle caps. Also refer to p. 23 for sweep techniques
to aid in the identification of steel bottle caps.

4: Four different audio tones This method is similar
to 3, but with a fourth medium-high tone for targets in the
numeric range of 73 to 79. This four-tone system is useful
for searching in areas where there may be very old coins
which register in this range.

dP: Delta Pitch This method produces a tone whose pitch varies in relation to the visual ID
number — the higher the ID, the higher the pitch. Good for relic hunting. Sampling is mostly
continuous. This method is also useful in areas with a high concentration of steel bottle caps.
Coins will produce a fairly constant pitch as you sweep back and forth. Bottle caps produce
inconsistent tones, often with a squawk at the beginning of the sound.

bP: Boost This selection is an enhanced sensitivity version of the 2+ # OF TONES
selection. It is particularly useful when searching for deep targets in a non-trashy area, or on a
site where vegetation makes it necessary to raise the searchcoil several inches above the
surface of the ground. It will also produce excellent results on trashy sites provided that you
slow down your sweep speed; sweep the coil slower than you would when using 2+. When bP
is selected, the response characteristics of the All Metal Mode are also modified; these
characteristics include less noise and a slower response speed.

CL: Cache Locating This selection is an enhanced sensitivity, slow-speed, version of the
2+ # OF TONES selection. Its primary use is in locating large deep objects while sweeping the
searchcoil several inches above the surface of the ground; under these conditions it goes
deeper than the other # OF TONES selections. When CL is selected, the response
characteristics of the All Metal Mode are also modified; these characteristics include less noise
and a slower response speed. In many situations, you may prefer to do cache locating in the
All Metal Mode after first selecting CL in the Discrimination Mod

Anyone have anything to add?

Thanks in advance,
Kidd

I used the beach setting today:
Beach: Tone 3b Sens 90 Disc 40

I have to say I loved it. I did try the 3b tone out, but ended up switching back to my favorite which is 2+. I tried out numerous settings today at the beach, both discrimination mode and all metals, and the one listed above was by far my favorite and easiest to use. My only concern was the disc being set at 40, if it was too high that it might miss some jewelry.

Does anyone have any VDI ranges for items found? If not would like to start one I think.

56-57 US Nickle
79-81 US Penny
81- Bottle Cap (I had a few of these hit solidly at 81, though usually they bounce between 35-85)
83-85 US Dime
88-90 US Quarter

Anyone have anything to add?

http://www.treasuresdownunder.com/teknetics/teknetics-t2-15-whopper-coil.aspx

I am posting this link to show the air test for the 15" DD Whopper Coil for the T2.

With the settings at:

All metal mode
Sensitivity 60
Hum Level +1
And ground balanced

The 15" coil vs the Stock 11" coil had improvements in air tests for every coin. Results are in inches. Notice the 18" vs 12" audible ID for the walking liberty...6" difference...WOW.

15" / 11"
Nickle
Audible ID:14/11
Target ID On Screen:11/9
Quarter
Audible ID:16/10.5
Target ID On Screen:10/8
Walking Liberty Half
Audible ID:18/12
Target ID On Screen:12/10

From my reading the only issue has been weight of the coil. Much thanks to Treasures Down Under for doing the air test.

OK Been doing some testing, via test gardens, digging holes and air tests. Here are the VDI ranges I have gotten:

14K Gold Ring with Stone - 52-53
Buffalo Nickle - 57-58
1964 Nickle - 58
Thin 10k Gold Chain - 61
Tungston Ring - 71
Silver Ring .925 with stone - 78-79
Broken Piece of .925 Jewelry - 81
Wheatie - 83
1917 Mercury Dime - 84
1957 Roosevelt Dime - 86
1986 Canadian Dollar - 84 - 87
2000 Sacagawea Dollar - 89
1964 Washington Quarter - 91
1973 Kennedy Half Dollar - 92
1971 Eisenhower dollar - 94

This was tested using the start up settings of the T2 LE. Sens 60, Disc 10, Tone 1. I played around with various settings most notably sensitivity and disc and did not note any variances to VDI number. I did discover that that ALL METAL sens 60, Hum +1 that I was achieving noticeably deeper targets.

In disc mode, with sens between 60-99 I was achieving depths of up to 6" shallower than when in all metal mode on various items. Most notable on the 14k ring I was getting 6" in the ground, but in all metal mode I was getting a repeatable diggable signal at 12" in the ground.

I did these tests for my own knowledge, but was very surprised at the results to the point I thought I would share them. I don't have any pictures or video of "proof". Take it or leave it as you see fit. I would really like to see if anyone else has had similar results, or has a list of VDI readings for the T2.

HH,
CTKidd

Thanks Kidd,
I been using the T2 for a few weeks now. 30 field hours. About 1.5 hours bench testing. In my initial test I was trying to ascertain the "shape" of the coil's sensitive area. It seems it detects from where the last set of wings meet torward the top of the coil down to where the coil wire is connected to the coil. The sound sometimes gets fuller right under the hotspot-under the small circle...but not much fuller.
I also tried depth testing a clad dime with tons of settings. I've found that 2+ gives a clearer signal at depth than any higher number of tones. I can't report specific settings yet...although the intuitive setting of disc 40 allowed for a very high sens which in turn gave a deep signal. Remember I was trying to keep the machine silent. I could have pushed it if i wanted chatter.

Here is a cool discussion on the 50 disc power boost.
Http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,12148,12157
It seems that when you disc at 50 the machine runs hotter but you then have to lower the sens...so its a wash. Same with disc under 10.

Also a nice thread- http://www.ahrps.org/forums//read.php?2,304,310#msg-310

I was able to pick out 2 silvers and 7 wheats in trash the other day. So I'm learning. :yes:

Oh...and all metal is super-deep out in the fields.
Have you had to manually ground balance yet? Do you usually let the computer do it?

Thanks Kidd,
I been using the T2 for a few weeks now. 30 field hours. About 1.5 hours bench testing. In my initial test I was trying to ascertain the "shape" of the coil's sensitive area. It seems it detects from where the last set of wings meet torward the top of the coil down to where the coil wire is connected to the coil. The sound sometimes gets fuller right under the hotspot-under the small circle...but not much fuller.
I also tried depth testing a clad dime with tons of settings. I've found that 2+ gives a clearer signal at depth than any higher number of tones. I can't report specific settings yet...although the intuitive setting of disc 40 allowed for a very high sens which in turn gave a deep signal. Remember I was trying to keep the machine silent. I could have pushed it if i wanted chatter.

Here is a cool discussion on the 50 disc power boost.
Http://www.dankowskidetectors.com/discussions/read.php?2,12148,12157
It seems that when you disc at 50 the machine runs hotter but you then have to lower the sens...so its a wash. Same with disc under 10.

Also a nice thread- http://www.ahrps.org/forums//read.php?2,304,310#msg-310

I was able to pick out 2 silvers and 7 wheats in trash the other day. So I'm learning. :yes:

Oh...and all metal is super-deep out in the fields.
Have you had to manually ground balance yet? Do you usually let the computer do it?

Thanks for the links I will read up on them.

In regards to ground balancing I am teaching myself how to do it manually. I will do it manually, than do a grab and see how close they are.

I have been playing around a lot with all metal mode last few hunts and it makes a huge difference. It goes noticeably deeper. If I am in the field relic hunting it will be in all metal mode.

I had read that discrimination trick of setting the T2 to 50 discrimination got you deeper depths. That is with the original T2 though, the new T2 LE has an upgraded circuitry so that doesn't occur I believe.

I saw that Mike from fisher labs was posting on another T2 thread, maybe he will see this one and chime in as well. Would love some insider advice!!

Has anyone tried the 5" coil on their T2?

CT... your numbers are way different than mine but maybe because I run in all metal all the time... I can't stand running the detector in dicrimination it seems the recovery speed is slower... examples.. a silver dime for me is 92, small thin gold came in at a 57, nickels 58, buffalo nickel 59 and so on... but these are actual dug items and not from a test garden... I run my sensitivity at 75 anymore and its really annoying...

CT... your numbers are way different than mine but maybe because I run in all metal all the time... I can't stand running the detector in dicrimination it seems the recovery speed is slower... examples.. a silver dime for me is 92, small thin gold came in at a 57, nickels 58, buffalo nickel 59 and so on... but these are actual dug items and not from a test garden... I run my sensitivity at 75 anymore and its really annoying...

I wonder if there could be small variations due to the different circuitry of the T2 vs T2LE. I have the limited edition, and I thought I read somewhere that it runs a little hotter, similar to the discrimination 50 set up on the standard T2.

I have ran with mine on sensitivity at 99, just to see how it sounded. It was very chattery, and I discovered hot rocks. Something I had never ran into here in Connecticut. The hot rocks ring in at a solid 98 on the VDI when you sweep over them, but if you pull the trigger to pin point, the metal detector won't register them, it will just be a silent with no reading on the VDI. I have ran into about a 7-8 of those rocks now, and each time I get very excited until I figure it out!

I was so used to digging a maximum of 4-6" holes with my other dirt machines that I have had to start to retrain myself on digging plugs so they start out 6" deep and are a bit wider to allow to go deeper.

I typically run sensitivity between 60-85 depending. My typical ground balance out here has been running as low as 58 to as high 72. Ground balancing really seems to help keep the chatter to a minimum.

Craig read that link that Charlives posted about the T2 depths in various discrimination settings, its a very interesting read.

Teknetics T2 beach hunting.

The T2 is my first machine and I decided to learn how it works in my beach visits haha.

So far I have done alright, first day I found an 18k white gold ring with some small diamonds in it.

Because of the high mineralization of the beach sand I have to manually ground balance.

I don't even know if I am doing this 100% yet but I am finding stuff, a lot of tent pegs and bottlecaps included and a few coins so I guess I must be doing it ok.

Anyway, thanks for the post CTKidd, helped a lot.

Not True

Thanks for the links I will read up on them.

In regards to ground balancing I am teaching myself how to do it manually. I will do it manually, than do a grab and see how close they are.

I have been playing around a lot with all metal mode last few hunts and it makes a huge difference. It goes noticeably deeper. If I am in the field relic hunting it will be in all metal mode.

I had read that discrimination trick of setting the T2 to 50 discrimination got you deeper depths. That is with the original T2 though, the new T2 LE has an upgraded circuitry so that doesn't occur I believe.

I saw that Mike from fisher labs was posting on another T2 thread, maybe he will see this one and chime in as well. Would love some insider advice!!

Has anyone tried the 5" coil on their T2?

Not true...The T2SE does get a boost at discrimination levels over 50 & under 10. I know this first hand because I have both a T2 Classic & a T2SE and I conducted tests on both detectors using the 5"DD coil & got identical readings from both detectors at those discrimination levels.
Walt

Back
Top Bottom