• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Any NOX 600 Beach Hunters in So Cal?

mike_i

I've been using my NOX 600 for a couple of months now and interested in comparing notes with other local beach hunters. I hunt in the dry sand in the Orange County area of So Cal.

I don't have a 600, but I have the 800 which is pretty much the same thing. All I do is hunt beaches, but I don't find as much in the dry sand compared to when I hunt the wet sand at low tide.

By your name I'm guessing you're in the San Diego area. I haven't hunted the wet sand much, what have you found in the wet compared to the dry sand?

Mike, most of the hardcore beach hunters strictly hunt the wet, after storm erosion. At least in my area anyhow. Maybe So CA, since some of your beaches get SO much traffic, that plying the dry sand might be fruitful. But where I'm at, we simply wait till mother nature groups targets on the wet.

And a lot of the hardcore So. CA guys prefer pulse machines (so they can get into jet black sand, for instance).

I've seen a few 600 and 800 guys in my area on the beach. I haven't seen them doing any better than the yesteryear standards. Eg.: Sov, Excal, explorers, CZ's, etc... The exception is going to be that they'll have a better shot at micro-jewelry though (earring studs, fine chains, etc...)

I've been using my NOX 600 for a couple of months now and interested in comparing notes with other local beach hunters. I hunt in the dry sand in the Orange County area of So Cal.
I’ve hit Huntington a few times recently.
What notes you want to compare? Nox 800. 4 rings 1 silver 1 gold 2.22 gram gold earring found silver and gold with my gold monster lol

yes, I am in San Diego. I still hunt the dry every now and then, but really just like to stick to the wet sand. I have found silver rings, gold earrings, a GoPro, and lots of coins in the wet sand at low tide.

When I do hunt the dry sand, I avoid all of the fire pits and trash cans. Otherwise I will be constantly pulling up a bunch of tin foil and bottle caps. I personally dig every single thing I hear unless it's in the negatives, and I also use all-metal mode because I've noticed a lot of time there will be good targets hiding underneath iron. For instance, if I am in beach 2, I may get faint hits on target, but not enough to actually make theequinox show a number on the screen. Meanwhile if I have it in all metal, it will hit a negative iron tone, then switch to a better tone. I have found a lot of coins this way that would have been completely lost if I was not detecting in all-metal mode.

Another one of my favorite spots to hunt is where the high tide meets the dry sand and creates a slope. When you're walking towards the ocean from the dry sand, when you see that beginning section of wet sand and the slope in the sand going towards the ocean, that's a really good spot. I personally think this spot is really only good after a large high tide because what I believe is happening is the water is washing away all the trash well letting the heavy metals sink a couple inches into the sand.

Here's a couple photos of my recent finds.

65655d959bc599ff7b57e0f81b2bfd7c.jpg
45232e4a17f86e982a5f1878a3f73d46.jpg

Last edited:
any chance that the rings you found look like either of these?

I’ve hit Huntington a few times recently.
What notes you want to compare? Nox 800. 4 rings 1 silver 1 gold 2.22 gram gold earring found silver and gold with my gold monster lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0120 2.jpg
    IMG_0120 2.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 143
any chance that the rings you found look like either of these?

"Lost August 2nd in waist deep water", either it's already been found by another detectorist, or its too far out in the water to get to unless theres an extreme negative low tide..Looks like a light ring so it might of moved a bit from where it was described being lost. I will be looking for it like everyone else ;)

Back
Top Bottom