Another Buff, and my first ever IHP is my new oldest coin

MTtrashdigger

Elite Member
Went to a park today that I hardly ever detect because the trash is literally everywhere. This park was our county's original fairgrounds but it has been filled and re-sod in various places over the years. I have found a few deep wheats from the teens and twenties there, but never a silver coin. But with my newly found focus of digging deeper iffy nickel signals, I thought I would give it a go for a couple hours today. There was a nice soaking rain yesterday so conditions were optimal. The shallow trash was worse than I remembered and I was getting frustrated with near constant noise. I dug a couple 4-6 inch Jeffersons and a few deep beavertails when I finally got that 12-13 signal that showed max depth on my Equinox. I pulled the deep plug and got a signal on my pinpointer in the bottom. Pulled out some more dirt and piled it on my towel and there it was, an old, red nickel. This one turned out to be a well worn dateless Buffalo nickel, my second any Buff ever. Determined to find some silver or another deep nickel, I went back to diligent searching. A few minutes later I got a deeper high tone but it was very jumpy. I switched to all metal and there wasn't any sign of iron, so I figured it was a masked wheatie. I dug the deep plug and pulled out a few more inches of dirt and put it on my towel. I stirred the dirt with my pinpointer and found the greenish coin I was sure was a wheat. After knocking some of the dirt off and looking closer, I could see the faint headdress of my very first ever Indian Head penny ! I couldn't make the date as it was getting dark but when I got home and cleaned it up a little, I could see the 1900 at the bottom. My new oldest coin!! I know IHPs and Buffs are common fodder for some but to me this was a pretty special outing. Next bucket lister is something pre-1900....... Thanks for looking and good luck out there!

Attachments

• First IHP 1900 9-12-19 heads.jpg
    First IHP 1900 9-12-19 heads.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 282
  • First IHP 1900 9-12-19 tails.jpg
    First IHP 1900 9-12-19 tails.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 237
  • dateless buff  heads 9-12-19.jpg
    dateless buff heads 9-12-19.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 255
  • dateless buff tails  9-12-19.jpg
    dateless buff tails 9-12-19.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 259
Nice finds MT! I always treasure digging a Buff, and really like finding Indian Head Cents! Both coins remind me of a long gone era of beautiful artistic old coins.

Nice finds! I've found a couple of Buffs, but I really, really want an IHP!

Good hunting!

Nicely done! Persistence pays! It's in nice condition too and I appreciate the detailed write-up with your thought process. Still looking for my first IHP.

Congrats on your first of what I hope will be many IHPS. Buffs and Ihps are two of my favorite finds. Good luck breaking in to the 1800s. HH Mark

Congrats! Finding your first anything is always exciting. I remember my first indian very vividly and I still get excited every time I dig one. Good luck on pre 1900 coin. You are digging in the right spots it seems so it will come soon I'm sure. HH and GL!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

A very nice outing Montana. Congrats on adding the Buffalo and your first Indian to your coffers. The first's are always great thrills. Trapper

Congrats on your first, I have also been focusing on the deep mids as of late in some of my dryed out parks seems to be working out for us both.

Congrats on your first IHP, and I love the look of dug buffalos. Aside from silvers that’s my favorite coin to find. If your park is close by, don’t be afraid to spend a bit of time at the beginning of your hunts clearing out the shallow trash. Some older deep goodies could be hiding under the beaver tails and can slaw. I got a park I’ve hit hard over the last few years where I’ll do just that and have come up with quite a few keepers.

Really Nice saves !!!!!

I found my One and Only IHP this year..
funny thing was I found it in a 1950's WELL Hunted Park.. 1" deep at the top of some dirt stairs heading down to the River. I thought it was just a green Memorial until I got it home and put it under a loop.. Surprised the heck out of me 1893 My oldest too

I don't see how it is even possible that it was missed by 100's of detectors except I probably passed it over in the past too because of the low number and low depth.

Congratulations on uncovering those two nice coins! Good play-by-play, too. :grin:

Congratulations on your first Indian. I have always loved that coin. About an eon or two ago when I was a little kid my brother and I would sift the dirt under the front porch of the house we lived in and occasionally find an Indian. That was a real thrill. I have found two Indians while detecting and both of them were a thrill.

Still lookin' for mine. Good book says not to be envious. At this moment I am struggling just a little(ha!). Congratulations. Nice shot right at the top of the steps, think how many detectorists....stepped right over that little guy!

Back
Top Bottom