Equinox 600 - Not finding much?

What do you guys recommend for freshwater beaches? Beach mode specifically says saltwater.

Park 1 still optimal for freshwater hunting?

I prefer park 1. Recovery speed of 2-4 on the beach. FE 0. I use auto tracking due to black sand. This is what I use in and out of the water. Love beach hunting!

I prefer park 1. Recovery speed of 2-4 on the beach. FE 0. I use auto tracking due to black sand. This is what I use in and out of the water. Love beach hunting!

Awesome. Just what I was waiting to hear. I was using park 1 too. My FE setting wasn’t at 0 though. I’ll adjust and check that out.

I will have to try Park 2 with default settings to see how that plays out for me. I have to admit in Park 1 I was CONSTANTLY pulling square nails from the ground and they were high ringing/sounding signals.

I never had this issue until I upgraded the software minelab sent out awhile back. It appears that if you just plug the machine in your PC and upgrade the software, this issue arises.

If you do a factory reset, then re-flash the software THEN do another factory reset, this problem tends to be greatly reduced.

That being said, I still tend to struggle the the Nox, since this software was "upgraded" I still think there are issues, esp with pinpointing.

Took my 600 out to the Lakes and river today. I am seriously considering something might be wrong with my machine. I kept getting jumpy signals and finds that totally didn’t match the VDI normal readings, which means the tones were off too.

I tried all kinds of default settings, etc. I had better luck at in the calmer waters of the lake than the river. But once at the river I was getting s ton of false target readings. Lots of good high tones that turned out to be junk or phantom readings. My brother used his ATPro and his luck found some mercs and wheats right next to me. Kind of bummed me out.

I gave the 600 a few hours of my time and went back to the car and got my ATP. Retraced my tracks and the areas I marked to rescan. Found nothing in areas the 600 was ringing up. Found nails in other areas and started killing it with coins in the same paths I took.

Also the mercs were ringing up as 24-28 on my 600. I would have totally thought they’d be in the 30s.

Took my 600 out to the Lakes and river today. I am seriously considering something might be wrong with my machine. I kept getting jumpy signals and finds that totally didn’t match the VDI normal readings, which means the tones were off too.

I tried all kinds of default settings, etc. I had better luck at in the calmer waters of the lake than the river. But once at the river I was getting s ton of false target readings. Lots of good high tones that turned out to be junk or phantom readings. My brother used his ATPro and his luck found some mercs and wheats right next to me. Kind of bummed me out.

I gave the 600 a few hours of my time and went back to the car and got my ATP. Retraced my tracks and the areas I marked to rescan. Found nothing in areas the 600 was ringing up. Found nails in other areas and started killing it with coins in the same paths I took.

Also the mercs were ringing up as 24-28 on my 600. I would have totally thought they’d be in the 30s.

Ive only hunted a few creeks/rivers and can tell you that running water will make the Nox chatter a bit. Try turning the sens down a bit. As for the readings on a merc, those are pretty consistent. At average depth, pennies 17-23, dimes 24-28, quarters 29-31. Silver dimes and quarters will ring slightly higher and sound slightly higher pitched.

I wouldnt give up on it just yet. 100 hours may sound like a lot time but if you have been constantly adjusting settings it will take longer for you to establish a baseline with the machine. I had to stick to park 1, sens 20-22, GB, and noise cancel, and that was it for like the first few months with it.

Oh, and i dont care what you do, it loves bent rusty nails. Even with the iron bias cranked up, the nox will find a 2" long rusty nail bent at 90° at 10" deep and it will sound like a silver half!

Hi,
all of the pre-1965 dimes including mercuries, that I have found have hit in the 24 to 28 range depending on depth and mineralization. I don't understand your assumption that they would be in the 30s.........according to what or who? Surface clad quarters can hit 30 or 31 and so can really deep copper pennies, clad dimes, silver dimes, clad and silver quarters depending on mineralization levels. All DEEP (6"+ in my bad dirt) medium high and high tone coin sized targets using default 5 tones in Park 1, sensitivity 18 to 20 will have somewhat jumpy numerical target IDs and associated tones. I have seen 6 to 8" copper pennies hit at 24, 25 in one direction and hit 28 to 30 at 90 degrees. As long as these targets show up as 3 to 5 depth arrows, hit medium high to high tones in both directions with no adjacent iron responses (check by using the horseshoe button to temporarily remove discrimination) and they appear to be coin sized objects, (check with pinpoint sizing or raising the coil) I'm digging. If I get one or two negative numbers or iron grunts with the horseshoe button engaged I will probably still dig. Usually deeper iron targets will have medium to high tones and numerical target IDs in one direction and repetitive low to negative numbers and iron grunts at 90 degrees.

The only coin targets that I have dug that hit above 30-31 were two Kennedy halves stuck together in the same hole, two or more clad quarters in the same hole and golden one dollar presidential, Susan B Anthony and Sacajaweas at depth.

You might want to recheck your presumed target ID numbers for the Equinox.

Also, default Park 1 and the other modes too have default sensitivity set at 20. From what you have mentioned about varying mineralization in your area, 20 might be a bit too high and could be causing coil knock, falsing or detecting of larger natural iron particles in your soil, sand and moving water.

Jeff

Yeah usually run at 20 sens in Park 1. I’ll bump it down next time, but the chatter is minimal unless over a target. I reduced recovery speed to see if it cleaned up the ID when over a target and it didn’t change.

But yes definitely moving sand when the waves came in from boat wakes. And the rocks were thick too. Will adjust the sens.

I use the machine to my wits end on a regular. But there are few freshwater tutorials and info out there for this machine. After a while it got tiring trying to tinker with it in the ‘field’. Made the trek back to the car and pulled out the ole Garrett.

I normally would have used the excal as backup for water but that’s not a fair compare.

Hi,
all of the pre-1965 dimes including mercuries, that I have found have hit in the 24 to 28 range depending on depth and mineralization. I don't understand your assumption that they would be in the 30s.........according to what or who? Surface clad quarters can hit 30 or 31 and so can really deep copper pennies, clad dimes, silver dimes, clad and silver quarters depending on mineralization levels. All DEEP (6"+ in my bad dirt) medium high and high tone coin sized targets using default 5 tones in Park 1, sensitivity 18 to 20 will have somewhat jumpy numerical target IDs and associated tones. I have seen 6 to 8" copper pennies hit at 24, 25 in one direction and hit 28 to 30 at 90 degrees. As long as these targets show up as 3 to 5 depth arrows, hit medium high to high tones in both directions with no adjacent iron responses (check by using the horseshoe button to temporarily remove discrimination) and they appear to be coin sized objects, (check with pinpoint sizing or raising the coil) I'm digging. If I get one or two negative numbers or iron grunts with the horseshoe button engaged I will probably still dig. Usually deeper iron targets will have medium to high tones and numerical target IDs in one direction and repetitive low to negative numbers and iron grunts at 90 degrees.

The only coin targets that I have dug that hit above 30-31 were two Kennedy halves stuck together in the same hole, two or more clad quarters in the same hole and golden one dollar presidential, Susan B Anthony and Sacajaweas at depth.

You might want to recheck your presumed target ID numbers for the Equinox.

Also, default Park 1 and the other modes too have default sensitivity set at 20. From what you have mentioned about varying mineralization in your area, 20 might be a bit too high and could be causing coil knock, falsing or detecting of larger natural iron particles in your soil, sand and moving water.

Jeff

This entire post is exactly what I’ve seen with 100 hours on the 800. Like...EXACTLY.

I've had my NOX 600 for about 2 months and recovered about $35.00 in clad, nickels, dimes, quarters, and pennies. Found 4 carat CZ, copper rings, rings, car toys, shotgun casing, keys, etc. I run mine 80% of the time in field 2, auto for noise and ground balance, target zone 5. This is my very first machine and new to the sport. Headphones are a must to learn the sounds. If your area has a lot of sand use beach 1.

I have both Equinox 800 and AT Max I switch off daily, with my Equinox I only run in Park Two and Field Two, watched video and was informed on 2's is better for silver. I am new to this just started this year. 1899 Silver Dollar, 2 Silver Dimes 1912 and 1962 with 800.

I have both Equinox 800 and AT Max I switch off daily, with my Equinox I only run in Park Two and Field Two, watched video and was informed on 2's is better for silver. I am new to this just started this year. 1899 Silver Dollar, 2 Silver Dimes 1912 and 1962 with 800.

Which machine do you like better?

What videos did you watch?? I’d like to see more 2 in action.

Back
Top Bottom