mountain home ,Idaho

Garrybk

Hi
i know there are other people metal detecting besides me. I would like to connect with someone in area. I think it would more productive with 2.
Garry

Hi
I thought I'd take a minute to introduce myself. I am looking for someone to go metal detecting with. I live in Mtn Home, but anyone from the treasure valley would work.
I have several sites I'm detecting, but they are so big, a econd person would b great. I'm a 61 year old male who manages a smoke shop. I'm going to retire in 3 months and would love to find someone to hunt with.

Garry

Hello from Louisiana

Hi Mr. Gary... I'm Josh... My family is native to counsel ID. They now reside everywhere from layette to Cambridge to counsel. Where and what kind of sites do you look at? I return every year for a family reunion and would enjoy a good pickin n scratchin...

hi there

Hi Gerry. I live in Rupert ID. Im about 2 hours south and east of you but I do get up that way now and then. Would enjoy getting together and hunting with you. Just send me a message if your interested.

Pat

Hi pat
i don't personally consider Rupert as far away. i was born and raise in Twin. my mother still lives in Kimberly. I have a step brother who lives in Declo. We live far enough apart that an impromtu 3 hr hunt in the afternoon isn't practical. But a Sat or sunday would be okay. let me tell you a little about my self. I'm 61 and going to retire 1 Nov. When i was a kid i had a real interest in prospecting, rock collecting and such. my grandfather was a roofer, but his true love was prospecting. He passed away when I was young, but as a teenager my grandmother and I used to go ghost town hunting, rock collecting and fossil hunting. When I was 12 in 1962 I wanted a metal detector really bad. But I didn't have the money. I saw an add in a magazine for a DIY metal detector for $20.
$20 was a lot of money to a 12 year old in 1962. i worked hard and put together the money and sent off for it. When it arrived i was excited. When it finally arrived i had to assemble it. The transmitter was housed in a wooden box, which the coil passed through.
The coil was a garden hose that the coil wires ran through. The receiver was a pocket transister radio that you tuned to the right channel. It did work, but would only detect large things. So out of desperation I burried pieces of scrap iron from my dad's pile all over our backyard.( i got my butt busted for that one).
Fast forward 50 years which covers a 20 yr military career etc. One of my other hobbies is Astronomy and one of the local metal detecting guys told me he knew where there was a possible meteor crater. So i decided i needed a metal detector to search the site. So I ordered an old BFO metal detector off E-bay. I quickly found out it was only a slight improvement from the one I bought in 1962. So my friend suggested i get an ACE 250. So i di the research and decided to get a Tesoro Compadre. It's a great little machine, but I wasn't totally happy. So I broke down and bought an ACE 250. For the money it is a really good machine. I'm just as pigheaded when it comes to my pointer. My first and second pointers were from Harbor freight. It took me two pointers to realize they have a short life expectancy. So then I bought the generic pointer from Kellyco. It's okay but I ordered a garret propointer. It's arriving today. I coin shoot for clad only for practice, my preference is old coins and artifacts.
So tell me about yourself.

Garry

Garry,

I'm in Meridian but I md in Mountain Home from time to time. If you are still wanting to hunt drop me a line, I'd be happy to go with you.

Mountian Home

Garry,

I just PCSed here and would love to have someone to go metal detecting with. I am stationed at the Air Base and available most weekends. shot me an email if you are interested
[email protected]

Will

I am over here in Eastern Idaho...a little far to go for a day hunt...just wanted to say welcome and send some warm weather over here so we can get out and get 2013 started.

Hello Friend

Just joined the site and my ACE 300 will be gere tomorrow. I look forward to meetong others and maybe some happy hunting.:cool:
Bob

Hi pat
i don't personally consider Rupert as far away. i was born and raise in Twin. my mother still lives in Kimberly. I have a step brother who lives in Declo. We live far enough apart that an impromtu 3 hr hunt in the afternoon isn't practical. But a Sat or sunday would be okay. let me tell you a little about my self. I'm 61 and going to retire 1 Nov. When i was a kid i had a real interest in prospecting, rock collecting and such. my grandfather was a roofer, but his true love was prospecting. He passed away when I was young, but as a teenager my grandmother and I used to go ghost town hunting, rock collecting and fossil hunting. When I was 12 in 1962 I wanted a metal detector really bad. But I didn't have the money. I saw an add in a magazine for a DIY metal detector for $20.
$20 was a lot of money to a 12 year old in 1962. i worked hard and put together the money and sent off for it. When it arrived i was excited. When it finally arrived i had to assemble it. The transmitter was housed in a wooden box, which the coil passed through.
The coil was a garden hose that the coil wires ran through. The receiver was a pocket transister radio that you tuned to the right channel. It did work, but would only detect large things. So out of desperation I burried pieces of scrap iron from my dad's pile all over our backyard.( i got my butt busted for that one).
Fast forward 50 years which covers a 20 yr military career etc. One of my other hobbies is Astronomy and one of the local metal detecting guys told me he knew where there was a possible meteor crater. So i decided i needed a metal detector to search the site. So I ordered an old BFO metal detector off E-bay. I quickly found out it was only a slight improvement from the one I bought in 1962. So my friend suggested i get an ACE 250. So i di the research and decided to get a Tesoro Compadre. It's a great little machine, but I wasn't totally happy. So I broke down and bought an ACE 250. For the money it is a really good machine. I'm just as pigheaded when it comes to my pointer. My first and second pointers were from Harbor freight. It took me two pointers to realize they have a short life expectancy. So then I bought the generic pointer from Kellyco. It's okay but I ordered a garret propointer. It's arriving today. I coin shoot for clad only for practice, my preference is old coins and artifacts.
So tell me about yourself.

Garry

If you were 12 in 1962 then you were born in 1950 making you 69 not 61, just saying.:laughing:

I am over here in Eastern Idaho...a little far to go for a day hunt...just wanted to say welcome and send some warm weather over here so we can get out and get 2013 started.
I'm in eastern Idaho, too. I live about 5 miles north of Blackfoot. Where are you located? I'm mostly into gold prospecting rather than coin hunting, but do enjoy hunting for coins in old mining camps/sites.
LOL...I guess this old post got me...Ha!
Jim

Back
Top Bottom