• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Tejon performance w/NEL Big coil

NMsilver

Elite Member
I just finished air tests with my new NEL Big on my brother's Tejon. I did the same series of tests on my own Vaquero a couple weeks ago.

The Tejon gets farther signals on a few of the items, but what was strange and disturbing was that on the silver dollar and half dollar, it didn't give a "real" signal at all! It made a kind of weak, inarticulate buzzing toward the edges of the coil but no normal beep at the middle line, even within a few inches.

Does anyone know what this is, and is it normal?

I know the Tejon is less sensitive to high conductors, but this is weird. I would expect the huge coil to hit hard on big silver despite the high frequency of the Tejon.

My Vaquero with the Big responded normally to the big silver.

I used to have a Tejon, and if I remember correctly it was best tuned/made to using their Tesoro brand coils. And back then, if you were ever to send in your detector to Tesoro for repairs they requested that you also send in the coil that you used most frequently as your machine/control box would be adjusted/set best to that coil.

I am speculating that since the Vaquero was a newer model, the electronics were more adaptable with secondary market coils and with the lower frequency.

In the past I've heard/read that if your ground balance is set way too positive it can reduce the depth of detection on silver? Not sure if it also pertains to air tests...just wondering if you had the ground balance setting the same for both units?

Back
Top Bottom