Yellow Marbles

teotwawki12

Elite Member
Now, if you've seen my photos, you may know that it doesn't take 1800's cork top embossed bottles to entertain me....

So, anyway....went to the dump with the goal of finding a couple vintage marbles; anything else is a bonus. Too hot to detect.

I did find a few marbles. Not as many as I'd hoped, but three out the four being yellow I thought was nice.

Four embossed milks. The Arctic (Detroit) and UniDairyPak (Jackson) I have, though I have to check if I have the same sizes. The Fairview Dairy (Dansville) and the Reading Home Dairy (Reading....) I do not. Score!

Few other odds and ends. To be honest, one of my favorite finds is the little milk-glass Mason jar lid insert. Of alllll the glass inserts I have found, that's the first one I have found that is smaller than the average lid. It's in a photo here somewhere.

Attachments

• KIMG1605.jpg
    KIMG1605.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 550
  • KIMG1608.jpg
    KIMG1608.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 529
  • KIMG1609.jpg
    KIMG1609.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 588
  • KIMG1610.jpg
    KIMG1610.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 536
  • KIMG1611.jpg
    KIMG1611.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 532
  • KIMG1615.jpg
    KIMG1615.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 451
  • KIMG1613.jpg
    KIMG1613.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 535
  • KIMG1612.jpg
    KIMG1612.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 486
I really enjoy reading your posts. Never seen a yellow marble, they must be quite rare. Congrats on all the cool finds, especially like the old soda bottle & coke can, nice going.

Nice selection of glass there. Any year on the RC bottle? Those are from 57 to 68 but yours looks like the earlier range of those years. Nice milk in the 2nd pic. That Coke can is a double crimp style so mid-70s to 1980 era.

Oh yeah, nice marbles too. I don't find that many.

Nice selection of glass there. Any year on the RC bottle? Those are from 57 to 68 but yours looks like the earlier range of those years. Nice milk in the 2nd pic. That Coke can is a double crimp style so mid-70s to 1980 era.

Oh yeah, nice marbles too. I don't find that many.

The RC has a 57 on the bottom, so it looks like a first year. The ACL actually held up okay, which is unusual for this swamp dump, but I suppose being a little later on helps, eh? The Coke can has an offer on the side which expires in 1972, so I'm guessing 71 or 72. It was a surface pick from the walk out (which was a bit long since I went the wrong direction and ended up bushwhacking in the direction I knew the road to be....which is fantastic when you've been digging for five hours in 90 degrees of mosquito infested humidity and are looking forward to that cooler of water and air conditioning... :mad:)

And the milks turned out well. I soaked 'em overnight in 50/50 muriatic & water to get the rust spots off. I really like the pints with embossing; pretty yet take up very little room! Funny thing about the Reading Home Dairy; I totally missed it. Came out in a shovel full of dirt after a cave in apparently...stood up to grab my bottle of water and it was sitting on my tailings pile.....

- that's also the first variation of a mason jar with Anchor Hocking I have found. Probably 50's (?) and the old lid that was on it hides the chip on the mouth very well....

Thanks for your knowledge.

Attachments

• DSCN0519.jpg
    DSCN0519.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 466
  • DSCN0520.jpg
    DSCN0520.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 420
  • DSCN0521.jpg
    DSCN0521.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 454
  • DSCN0528.jpg
    DSCN0528.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 428
  • DSCN0529.jpg
    DSCN0529.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:
Great finds. Looks like a fun hunt.

I really enjoy reading your posts. Never seen a yellow marble, they must be quite rare. Congrats on all the cool finds, especially like the old soda bottle & coke can, nice going.

Thank you much. I have absolutely no knowledge of vintage marbles, but they look pretty in a dish and are fun to find :yes:

Attachments

• DSCN0523.jpg
    DSCN0523.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 478
Nice finds!
Being in my mid 50’s, I can still remember when the milkman delivered milk to the door, in glass bottles.

Really cool finds, I would of gotten in on that Coke offer but I was only about 4 months old at the time. :D

The RC has a 57 on the bottom, so it looks like a first year. The ACL actually held up okay, which is unusual for this swamp dump, but I suppose being a little later on helps, eh? The Coke can has an offer on the side which expires in 1972, so I'm guessing 71 or 72. It was a surface pick from the walk out (which was a bit long since I went the wrong direction and ended up bushwhacking in the direction I knew the road to be....which is fantastic when you've been digging for five hours in 90 degrees of mosquito infested humidity and are looking forward to that cooler of water and air conditioning... :mad:)

And the milks turned out well. I soaked 'em overnight in 50/50 muriatic & water to get the rust spots off. I really like the pints with embossing; pretty yet take up very little room! Funny thing about the Reading Home Dairy; I totally missed it. Came out in a shovel full of dirt after a cave in apparently...stood up to grab my bottle of water and it was sitting on my tailings pile.....

- that's also the first variation of a mason jar with Anchor Hocking I have found. Probably 50's (?) and the old lid that was on it hides the chip on the mouth very well....

Thanks for your knowledge.

10-4 I found one of my Cokes with the radio offer from Feb.'72 and it's straight sided. Evidently the factory that made your can was already doing the crimp can. Learn something new every day.

Interesting also, you found some Anchor Hocking jars; your RC bottle was also made by Anchor Hocking. :yes:

Attachments

• SS857587.jpg
    SS857587.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 409
Back
Top Bottom