• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

A gold prospectors rig

Goldprospector

A gold prospectors rig: A Minelab X-Terra 705 with a Minelab 15" 3 kHz DD waterproof coil. It's wireless, too! Now, if I can only find something half decent, lol :roll:

Attachments

• 20170521_150254.jpg
    20170521_150254.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 657
That's a nice setup.ive always liked the 705,still got one.Im a little confused tho,you said it's a gold prospectors rig but you have a 3 kHz coil..That coil isn't really meant for low conductors like gold,it's geared towards silver and copper..I could be wrong,but that's what I've always thought

Great machine! I love my X-Terra, I think Woodbutcher is correct the low freq is better suited for silver than gold. I have a high freq coil for sale in the classifieds that is better on small gold if your interested. Good luck with the 705 it's a Great setup. HH!

Hi Woodbutcher and Ron. I'm sure you two know a lot more than I do about MDing, and I'm sure that you have found lots more goodies than I have.
Regarding the 3 kHz coil, I feel that the higher you go in frequency, the smaller the gold.
Take the new Minelab Gold Monster. It's a dedicated gold prospecting machine that sells (or will sell) for around $800. Lots of folks think that this will be a great machine for the price. Lots of premarket hype for this machine.
But wait until they find out how SMALL the nuggets are that they find. The Gold "Monster" runs at 45 kHz.
I predict that there will be lots of used Gold "Monsters" on eBay next year.
Let's just call my 3 kHz coil an experiment. I'm not looking for the small nuggets. I'm leaving them for the Gold Monsters. This is what is so great about MDing. Something for everyone. (Grinning).

The higher frequency gold detectors along with the added gain are designed to be more responsive to the smaller bits of gold but will still detect the larger nuggets within VLF range...ground conditions allowing. The reason for the higher frequency VLF gold detectors....there are MANY more smaller pieces of gold for every larger nugget overall. I have used a 17.8 KHZ gold detector in Arizona and was amazed at the SMALL targets I would dig. Will your Minelab 705 find gold nuggets...sure it will if the nuggets are within size and range and the ground conditions allow. Good luck to all in your search for oro!

Back
Top Bottom