The worst frickin metal detecting day ever

treasurebum

Forum Supporter
Here's the Lost & Found ad I just had to place that sums up how crappy my day went :sorry2:

I was metal detecting in Sugar House Park today and playing Frisbee with my black and white Border Collie. While there, between about 1 and 4 pm, I lost my Garrett Pro Pointer in the grass, east of Sugar Beet Pavilion (south east side of park, a little over half way around from the entrance). It would have been toward the top of the park, near the running trail and the horse shoe area.​
It is approximately 9" long and about 1-1/2" thick, tapering down to around 3/4" thick at the other end. I would really appreciate getting it back and while I'm not in a position to buy another one, and can't afford much of a reward, I will give you what I can. I have posted a couple pictures below of the street view of the park and what the Garrett looks like. Really, it looks like a space aged flashlight. Thanks for looking and your consideration in its return.​

Attachments

• Pro Pointer.jpg
    Pro Pointer.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 1,003
  • 1019001739.jpg
    1019001739.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,008
  • 1019001739a.jpg
    1019001739a.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 1,008
  • 1019001740.jpg
    1019001740.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 1,003
That would be an awesome find! :D

Sucks you lost it. :(

Awesome if the finder had a clue what they had found or better yet, if they checked Craig's List or at KSL.com's Lost & Found and returned it to me. Now that would be awesome :D

If your lucky enough to get it back which I hope you do i would put some orange tape around it so it can be easley seen if dropped again . MIght even teach the dog to retrieve it for you since it likes chasing the freezbe .

Not meaning anything by this but...

...do they still make those straps for kids "idiot mittens"? :lol:

blklion...You're not that far off and I actually took it to the next level. First, I ordered two (2) Pro Pointers last night, a primary (replacement) and a backup in the event I repeat my "Mr Potato Head" routine again. And a for the "idiot mittens" I went onto eBay and ordered a really cool transmitter/receiver unit for people who lose there keys, but you don't have to stand whisling or clapping your hands. The receiver is the size of a key fob for a car and
the transmitter fits in your wallet.:newidea:

Think visibility

A couple/few stripes of solas tape around the upper end, a dot on the palm end. Your pinpointer, digger or whatever will light up strong just swinging a flashlight by it after that. Your story has prompted me to take that precaution. Sorry you lost yours. That would be like losing a close friend. ;)

That really sucks. How many hours have you been back looking for it? I agree with the other poster, I think I'd cry if I lost one......but since I don't have one yet I'd be real surprised if I lost mine :lol:

I've lost my PP about 3 times, I ended up finding it eventually though. Always left it out in the field, sometimes when the grass was wet. The PP is very rugged. I'd be upset too if mine was lost like yours.

UPDATE and probably closure for this thread.

Nobody ever called and wanted the reward so the assumption is, the person who found it didn't know what it was or, maybe did and was too embarassed to call and thank me. The other thought was, maybe a pawn shop gave them more than they figured I would have :confused:

Sorry for your loss, but one mans trash is another mans treasure. Someone may have found it that does not MD and doesn't know what to do with it! OR they do MD and found a nice find!

That's some bad luck, sorry it happened. BTW, I have a B&W Border Collie as well. She likes the frisbee thing too as well as "herding" people together.......VERY smart dogs!!!!!

Dusty

Sorry for your loss. Don't feel too bad, there was a Craigslist post here awhile ago listing a FOUND metal detector left at a park! I know how you feel, if it isn't physically attached to me, its as good as gone. The transmitter thing is a good idea though.

blklion...You're not that far off and I actually took it to the next level. First, I ordered two (2) Pro Pointers last night, a primary (replacement) and a backup in the event I repeat my "Mr Potato Head" routine again. And a for the "idiot mittens" I went onto eBay and ordered a really cool transmitter/receiver unit for people who lose there keys, but you don't have to stand whisling or clapping your hands. The receiver is the size of a key fob for a car and
the transmitter fits in your wallet.:newidea:

That is a great idea.

That's some bad luck, sorry it happened. BTW, I have a B&W Border Collie as well. She likes the frisbee thing too as well as "herding" people together.......VERY smart dogs!!!!!

Dusty

Awesome with a frisbee, or anything else that's been thrown. A little dense about staying put and not chasing everything that moves in the parks, when I'm detecting. Very smart indeed. Mine (Logan) will stand on my coil or lay in my path as I sweep an area so I have to stop and play. He likes to heard people and him and his sister used to heard our chickens, but then they decided playing tug-a-war with them was funner. For the record, chickens don't stretch all that far before they pop. Mom was a Border Collie and Dad was a Yellow Lab.He's four months old in the first pic and just turned a year old (last week) in the other one.​

Attachments

• Logan approves of his new ride.jpg
    Logan approves of his new ride.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 683
  • 1018001146.jpg
    1018001146.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 695
Back
Top Bottom