Finds: Always expect the unexpected?

Doug

Elite Member
Most fields in general over this side of the pond are waterlogged so it was a case of trying to find a field(s) with a slope or more precise a gentle slope.

Just down the road from where I live there are two farms that I have permission on with gently sloping fields.

Did not look good with standing water in the lower part of the field but I persisted to work my way up the slope to dryer ground.

The gold ring I am still trying to get an ID on.

Thanks for looking............Doug.

Ground is water logged!

8uWCFwr.jpg

See what is lurking in the mud? (Not the worm...:lol:)
NqkL5A3.jpg

Lurking in the mud an incomplete silver-gilt (gold over silver) fragment originating from a seal-top spoon terminal of Post-Medieval date.
vuVTAwU.jpg

Spoon terminal inscription.

"The triad of initials suggest it might be for a marriage gift (for a M (husband) and W(wife) with M(surname) above) although sometimes if the gift is to the wife their initial comes first."

22oWjiC.jpg

ATS WW2 Badge.

85tLWvH.jpg

DSFDQsH.jpg

"The Auxiliary Territorial Service (ATS; often pronounced as an acronym) was the women's branch of the British Army during the Second World War.
It was formed on 9 September 1938, initially as a women's voluntary service, and existed until 1 February 1949, when it was merged into the Women's Royal Army Corps."

INrGglD.jpg

Mixed finds.
PYAH1VS.jpg

Gold seal ring.
QuKGB1X.jpg

ZgxRjnm.jpg

iROT2Fg.jpg

In the mists of time somebody dropped a medieval silver coin into molten lead?
Ke09LAP.jpg

Most fields in general over this side of the pond are waterlogged so it was a case of trying to find a field(s) with a slope or more precise a gentle slope.

Just down the road from where I live there are two farms that I have permission on with gently sloping fields.

Did not look good with standing water in the lower part of the field but I persisted to work my way up the slope to dryer ground.

The gold ring I am still trying to get an ID on.

Thanks for looking............Doug.

Ground is water logged!

]

See what is lurking in the mud? (Not the worm...:lol:)

Lurking in the mud an incomplete silver-gilt (gold over silver) fragment originating from a seal-top spoon terminal of Post-Medieval date.

Spoon terminal inscription.

"The triad of initials suggest it might be for a marriage gift (for a M (husband) and W(wife) with M(surname) above) although sometimes if the gift is to the wife their initial comes first."

ATS WW2 Badge.

"The Auxiliary Territorial Service (ATS; often pronounced as an acronym) was the women's branch of the British Army during the Second World War.
It was formed on 9 September 1938, initially as a women's voluntary service, and existed until 1 February 1949, when it was merged into the Women's Royal Army Corps."

Mixed finds.

Gold seal ring.

In the mists of time somebody dropped a medieval silver coin into molten lead?
Ke09LAP.jpg

OH WOW... I've got to get back out there... *shudders*

I NEED TO FIND MORE GOLD!!

Wow, you have some great finds over there.

Is the gift piece really marked 1658?

Wasn't Queen Elisabeth II in the ATS during WWII?

Any idea what the Seal ring says on it and who's it may have been?

OH WOW... I've got to get back out there... *shudders*

I NEED TO FIND MORE GOLD!!

Thank you.

As always, utterly spectacular. I love the seals. Any idea who the ring belonged to?

Thank you.

Still trying to find out what the emblem represents.

Beautiful as always Doug!!

Thank you Ron.

What an amazing mix of finds across time!

Thank you.

That gold seal ring looks like 24-karat, very pure.
Thanks for sharing!

Thank you.

Ring is hallmarked at 18K and a date of 1859?

Wow, you have some great finds over there.

Is the gift piece really marked 1658?

Wasn't Queen Elisabeth II in the ATS during WWII?

Any idea what the Seal ring says on it and who's it may have been?

Thank you.

Spoon terminal is marked 1685 which falls into the date range.

Indeed our Queen was indeed in the ATS in WW2, Princess Elizabeth at the time.

Sill waiting for an ID on the seal ring.

Awesome finds as always. I much enjoy seeing your finds!

Thank you.

The motto reads on this 'flipped' photograph:

" FORTITUDINE, which means "with fortitude" in Latin."

3mSXSaG.jpg

And I’m going out today hoping to find a couple of Mercury dimes....:lol:
You guys in the U.K. and Europe in general have NO idea how lucky you really are. Absolutely SPECTACULAR stuff. THOSE are the types of finds which make me appreciate history and the skill of people of the times.

Wow great hunt thise are some killer finds! Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

I don't know if there is some historical meaning to the arm, but it looks similar to the arm (minus the sword) on my 5th Massachusetts button from the American Civil War.

https://ibb.co/QKP9s7s

Thank you.

And I’m going out today hoping to find a couple of Mercury dimes....:lol:
You guys in the U.K. and Europe in general have NO idea how lucky you really are. Absolutely SPECTACULAR stuff. THOSE are the types of finds which make me appreciate history and the skill of people of the times.

Thank you.

Even after all the years I have been involved in this hobby I'm still astounded by the skills of those who went before us.

Just to illustrate the above, man on a horse made nearly 2000 years a ago by the invading Romans who dropped it in a local field.

fu6Q3GB.jpg

OH MAN, awesome finds there boss! The seal items would be on the top shelf of my collection, amazing history!

Thank you.

Gosh you sure do find some beautiful things. Love looking at your posts, am always in awe at the things you find.

Thank you.

Some great finds you dug there.I like that gold ring.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom