Rainy day finds

Jim Bob

Elite Member
I couldn't get out today because of the rain so I decided to tumble some crusty Wheaties and clean some old rings I found sometime back. In my Wheaties I found the IH penny and cleaning the old rings I uncovered "Sterling" stamped on all 3, so it was a fun rainy day after all.:D

Attachments

• IMG_E3983.jpg
    IMG_E3983.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_E3990.jpg
    IMG_E3990.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_E3997.jpg
    IMG_E3997.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_E3988.jpg
    IMG_E3988.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_E3986.jpg
    IMG_E3986.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 376
There is just something satisfying about tumbling coins. Watching the details appear as you rinse off the much after a few hours of tumbling is truly enjoyable.

How do you tumble coins?

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

I purchased a rock tumbler and 1lb of stainless steel tumbling media I can re-use. I wait until I have enough coins then I tumble them for a few hours to clean them up. This is great to prepare them for turn in as the machine at my bank accepts 99% of my tumbled coins.

Don't mix pennies / copper and other coins as the copper will stain the others. And do not tumble and high content silver or other valuable coins. It's only for coins I intend to turn in.

I I find an old wheat penny or other non-clad type of coin I prefer electrolysis to tumbling to clean them, and carefully consider the numismatic value of a coin before cleaning it in any way.

Good information

I purchased a rock tumbler and 1lb of stainless steel tumbling media I can re-use. I wait until I have enough coins then I tumble them for a few hours to clean them up. This is great to prepare them for turn in as the machine at my bank accepts 99% of my tumbled coins.

Don't mix pennies / copper and other coins as the copper will stain the others. And do not tumble and high content silver or other valuable coins. It's only for coins I intend to turn in.

I I find an old wheat penny or other non-clad type of coin I prefer electrolysis to tumbling to clean them, and carefully consider the numismatic value of a coin before cleaning it in any way.

You have it right when it comes to the rock tumbler. Clean clad coins just to get the crud off and I clean Wheaties by themselves with no media and just dish soap for an hour. Never silver coins. Thanks for the good info.

Back
Top Bottom