A Different Silver Find

Call Me V

I haven't been around in awhile because I've been busy with finals, graduation, a grad trip, and finally my summer job has kept me occupied.

But I had a chance to go out this morning for a few hours before I had to go to work. I went to an older park that I've only been to once. I found a wheatie that last time I was there and wanted to see if I couldn't get some more older coins.

Twenty minutes and three clad coins I got a shallow hit on a target that ID'd as a dime or maybe a copper penny. An inch below the ground I pulled up a tiny coin that looked like play money to start. But closer inspection revealed a 1 troy gram of .999 silver in the buffalo round style. It wasn't the kind of silver coin I was looking for but I'd take it.

A couple of swings and ten feet over I got a similar signal, and sure enough I pulled a second silver in the exact same style. Both look like they'd been hit by a mower.

Are they real? I hope so. I don't have a test kit yet, so until then I'll pretend they are. Plus they did ring up in the right range.

It's ironic that I found these pieces of silver. In a forum post last December that asked what everyone does with their clad at the end of the year someone posted a picture of a pile of silver coins he bought at a coin show at the end of the year. I had to spend time thinking about it. I talked with Mom about it, and she said that investing in silver was a good way of turning the coins into something of value. I did some research, watched YouTube videos, and looked at online silver dealers. So I had some idea of what the silver pieces I'd find and what they were because I'd seen the full size 1 oz pieces for sale.

I ended the two hours with a handful of clad, an old pocket knife, three wheaties, and the two silver pieces. Not a bad morning.

Attachments

• IMG_1590.jpg
    IMG_1590.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 323
First V, let me congratulate you on your graduation. Well done and good luck in the future. Now, NICE ! What an awesome find and 2 of them boot. I'd say you had a dang good morning. HH Mark

Are they real? I hope so. I don't have a test kit yet, so until then I'll pretend they are. Plus they did ring up in the right range.

I'm not sure a "troy" gram is a thing. I found a few online that are very similar but don't have "troy". Then, I found somebody selling them on Ebay that are just like yours, assuming you have an Indian profile on the other side.

By the way, 1 gram is something like .03 of an ounce. A Mercury dime is around .07 of an ounce of silver.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Gram-Silver-Round-Buffalo-And-Indian/264355829312

Oh, and here is a discussion about "troy grams" started by somebody who bought a silver round just like yours.

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=279125

I really think you'd have to test it to know if it's real. Not worth much either way as far as money, but silver is silver!!!

Back
Top Bottom