A note of inspiration for new folks - Long and boring

It's not just the bad days of finding "something" that gets to me, but when you have a free day, and it's thundering & lightening outside, that can bum you out just as bad! Thanks for your uplifting words, Tin.;)
GiGi

Wow!

that was an awesome post! very encouraging for the newbies and reminder for us old timers that patience & persistance does indeed pay off! and just wanted to add that i think you have, what i get at times...that little inner voice directing you towards a spot.a liitle invisible push sayin"go there"
call me crazy but it happens often to me.but thank you for posting and congrats on the nice ring!
awesome story!
dave

That was a very good story. I really enjoyed it and it made me laugh. Congrats on the ring.

I do have a question though.... What is a can slaw?:?:

Thanks, bootmud

That was a very good story. I really enjoyed it and it made me laugh. Congrats on the ring.

I do have a question though.... What is a can slaw?:?:

Thanks, bootmud

Can slaw is created when a bored city school district intentionally aims for a soda can on the grass. Those commercial lawn mowers spit pieces of cans evrywhere, thus creating clan slaw ! It also shows up in mulch from the shredders.

It's nasty stuff and can potentially be a safety issue with kids running around playing. I have cut myself on it too many times to count.

Heavymetalnut, your inner-voice doesnt speak quietly based on your finds. Your voice appears to sound more like Henry Rollins back in the Black Flag days, or perhaps like the lead singer's voice from Disturbed.

And thanks to everyone for responding positively around here. As a new person, it's tough to add value to a site with the amount of info here. I figured that if I my post helps one person to keep from quitting, it will have succeeded.

I'm a newbie, counting today I have been out with my new DFX 4 times, today I went with another Metal Detecting person that I met on this forum. I was extremely frustrated because the three times I went out I found nothing but metal, machine read coin, I dug, metal or nothing, and I would recheck the holes etc. I took the time to read all the books, watch videos on Utube, etc. Expected to come home daily with my pockets full of coins, jewelry etc. But it wasn't as easy as I thought, look at the pictures, look at the depth, dig - cha ching -. I was about to sell my detector less than a month after I bought it. But with Billz help, we checked one of the sights I detected and he found 3 coins right off the back, I was happy because I knew there should be some there. Took my time, listened and found my first two coins a nickel and a penny. I'm excited again, because I have plenty of places to search now that I kinda know a little more. Keeping my head up, and this forum gives me hope. Thanks all

I'm a newbie, counting today I have been out with my new DFX 4 times, today I went with another Metal Detecting person that I met on this forum. I was extremely frustrated because the three times I went out I found nothing but metal, machine read coin, I dug, metal or nothing, and I would recheck the holes etc. I took the time to read all the books, watch videos on Utube, etc. Expected to come home daily with my pockets full of coins, jewelry etc. But it wasn't as easy as I thought, look at the pictures, look at the depth, dig - cha ching -. I was about to sell my detector less than a month after I bought it. But with Billz help, we checked one of the sights I detected and he found 3 coins right off the back, I was happy because I knew there should be some there. Took my time, listened and found my first two coins a nickel and a penny. I'm excited again, because I have plenty of places to search now that I kinda know a little more. Keeping my head up, and this forum gives me hope. Thanks all

Yep, you gotta be as optimistic as possible, I mean im starting to learn to think of pulltabs as goodies, I love to dig them :lol:

Great story...unless you count finding clad, about 99.9% of this hobby are "slumps"...but if you hang in, the .1% makes up for it...your account of the bleacher reminded me of my old hunting buddy...he lived a couple of blocks from an old high school that was now part of the rec. dept.....one afternoon they moved a set of bleachers to cut grass and left them for about a week...Marvin took almost $40 in silver from the area over the next 4 or 5 days..you just never know....RR

Good reading!

Great story! You make a great point about the up's and downs, in's and outs, feast or famine of treasure hunting.

I can relate to your tale from my 35 years of playing golf. For the most part, I'm a below average golfer. I've been through many valleys with my play over the years.

But just when I consider putting away the clubs, I hit a shot, or sink a putt for the ages that restores my interest in the game.

I've been treasure hunting for about a year and a half. While I haven't found much of monetary value, I'm wealthy in the amount of fresh air, exercise, and unusual items like the end plate of an iron, a school locker key, and a dog license that I've found in my travels.

I know that there's plenty left to find and look forward to spring thaw so I can get after it again! Until then I'll continue to enjoy reading of other's success stories, learn more about my detector, and enjoy researching and planning trips to interesting sites to explore.

Great story, and well told..aside from a knack for finding quality sites, determination is the most important part of the hobby..I started detecting in the late '70's...went at it like a crazy man for about 2 years..found a few pieces of nice jewelry and a few hundred silver coins...when the sites I could get to ran out of silver, I became a couple times a year MD'er..until 3 years ago when I retired, had plenty of free time, and would occasionally still have dreams about digging up silver coins...my best friend had bought an old ( about 100 years ) house to fix up and I asked about detecting in the yard..got permission and decided to splurge on the 14 new batteries needed for the'ol Coinmaster...second afternoon out, I hit a silver Washington and a Merc within about 30 seconds of each other...hooked again, a few days later I went on eBay and bid on a Garrett Ace...my next "keeper" came 3,000 + coins later..and then just a .925 Nike logo charm from a bracelet...I was tempted more than a few times to say WTH am I wasting time with this for...but I stuck it out..my wife always said that being hard-headed & stubborn were among my best qualities ...over the 3 years I've found a dozen pieces of gold jewelry, a couple dozen of silver, a V nickle, and 10 or 12 silver coins..oh yeah, and a hobby I'll trade sleep for just so I can get at it at sun-up...Roadrunner

I suppose this post will always be timely. I took my wife with me today to show her how the DFX works. I went to two church yards and a school yard. Spent four hours and found two pennies.

nice story, sometimes we forget this we already know and need to be reminded. My past few outings have been totally fruitless, but youve got a point with what youre saying!

thanks

GD

Re: Note of Inspiration

New to this forum and just read your story Tinfoilhat - hope you stuck with it!

Your story is so true and well written as others have said - If i'm not finding anything, I like to think I'm just looking in the wrong places!

Back
Top Bottom