F2+sniper coil+basketball court= MORE GOLD!

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Finally got something great I dug on film, too!

I was using Bing and Google maps flying over areas and I wandered a little northwest to an area I have not visited before.
Found a park I have not been to yet and it has baseball fields, several tot lots, a volleyball court and even 2 very old houses that are still standing on this site but within the park boundaries.
All that is great, but I also noticed something that really makes my radar go crazy...a basketball court...and a decent size one, too.
I flew out of here like a bullet leaves a gun because I love hunting new sites and with all the rain we have had lately the digging has gotten way easier.
When I arrived I realized this park is bigger than I thought and I could really enjoy spending some time here but today was going to be hot later in the day and I decided to spend most of my first visit here at that basketball court because lots of them have been very good to me.
Eventually I did wander around a bit and scoped out the 2 very old boarded up homes that are still standing, one of a few picnic pavilions they have here in this nice park, and the biggest tot lot area I have ever seen and this is only one of a few that exists here.
I did find some clad around that pavilion and not a ton of trash so I will return and hit this area better, and a couple of old cars in the back of one of the houses...both high tones so that is a good sign.
This huge tot lot filled with glorious chips was a welcome site but for all this huge area to hunt my first foray into it I only found 35 cents under some swings and those coins were fresh drops pretty much on the surface.
Most of the parks I go to these tot lots seem very clean...too clean, and I suspect other hunters hit these things and clean them regularly and this one was no different because there were very few signals of any kind in this place, not even iron.

Ya know, that is just fine and dandy as far as I am concerned because most of these parks with the very clean tot lots also seem to have plenty of signals, good and bad, around these pavilions and basketball courts.
Tons of them and if somebody wants to hunt just those tot lots that is great because my area of expertise has evolved over time to the more trashy areas that most of these other guys just don't seem to bother with.

Most of the time spent here was at this b-ball court and even though it is trashy it is actually pretty clean compared to some I have hunted so me, the F2 and the sniper coil got to work.

I was having a great time digging all solid signals I came across and I did find plenty of coins, pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters, along with lots of tabs and can slaw.
I usually only dig solid signals with my F2 and by that I mean signals that sound solid and don't jump more than 2 numbers on my screen.
Today I did dig a few of the more bouncy numbers but they were trash every time so eventually I just settled in and dug just the solid ones because there were plenty of those, also good and bad.
I am not sure how long I was there but I think it was about 90 minutes after I started and I was just minding my own business, digging coins and the more solid trash and then came across something much better...the one target that makes me crazier than all others and really floats my boat...GOLD!
About time, too, because it has been a few weeks since my last find and that fever was building up inside me.
I can relax for a few days after I find some, maybe even a week or two, but eventually it becomes very important for me to satisfy that urge.
Today that happened and you are looking at one relaxed, satisfied and very happy fellow.

Also, this hunt was extra special because I got the whole gold recovery on film, something I have wanted to do since I got my GoPro camera and it shows it all from acquiring the target, digging the hole and the shock of seeing something wonderful in the hole...exactly the way my favorite videos do it.
This is in HD so change your settings to get the best view.

I still have to work on camera placement, it is hard to know exactly where that camera is pointing when it is sitting on your head but I will get better with more practice.

I actually have a couple of hours on film showing how I do this and there are some that have asked to see all of that so I will work on editing a longer video digging the more mundane targets and post them on my F2 thread soon, but here is a short 5 minute video that shows me digging this beautiful object.
Listen closely because you will see I even kind of called it before I dug it, but I do that on lots of targets because you just never know.

This thing is hollow so it doesn't weigh all that much and threw me at first because of its size compared to its weight, but after doing some research on others like it I am positive this is true 14k, and a beautiful specimen at that.
It reminds me of those pop-out repousse coins that a few have found and I hope I am lucky enough to find one of those, one day.

4.7 grams, about $120 melt value at today's price but they sell for more than that even on discount sites all over the web, especially one this size which is just a little bigger than a quarter.
A 28-30 signal in the ground, out of the ground a solid 32 and if I would have worked that coil a little slower I bet I could have gotten that 32 to stay there...but it was plenty solid enough for me to dig.

Ladies and gentleman I am proud to introduce my latest AU basketball court find, a short movie showing me finding it and a few more pics below including the rest of the stuff I found.

For me, today was a very good day...I hope you had one too!

Attachments

• P1040588.jpg
    P1040588.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 597
  • P1040589a.jpg
    P1040589a.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 691
  • P1040590.jpg
    P1040590.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 704
  • P1040591.jpg
    P1040591.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 732
Great find... Seems to be a nice location to spend quite a bit of time at. I'm anxiously waiting to find just one silver or gold to justify my sore knees and back...

I picked up the 4 inch coil for my F2 a few days ago and used it for a few hours yesterday and you are right, it's a beast and didn't see much of a reduction of depth at all from the 8" coil. Now I need to get busy finding better places to use my tools.

Happy hunting, enjoy your posts as they inspire me to get the most out of this F2 !

Congrats on a nice piece of gold and the video to go with it! Where there's one, there could be more, so good luck on future hunts. I gotta find me another B.B. court! : )

Way to go! I do the same thing as far as hunting the ‘not so popular’ spots. There are a lot of places in a lot of parks that are left alone by other detectorists.

Thanks for the video! That was a fun watch. :)

Amazing that you got it on film! Yesterday, I should have said it was near impossible to get digging gold on film, not that it was impossible. A lot of things are possible, you have shown that!

You really see very few videos of people actually digging gold in dirt. This is great!

Amazing that you got it on film! Yesterday, I should have said it was near impossible to get digging gold on film, not that it was impossible. A lot of things are possible, you have shown that!

You really see very few videos of people actually digging gold in dirt. This is great!

Thanks Michael!

My wife seems to think the same about me because once in a while she just looks at me and says...
"You are just impossible!"

Actually I have found 2 other good targets, (silver), when I had my camera with me but I ran out of battery power before I found them.
Batteries for my GoPro are only about $20 so I guess I will cash in some more clad and get one.
Then I will wait to find a good deal on those stupidly expensive micro SD cards, too.
When you got neat toys it just never ends.

Batteries for my GoPro are only about $20 so I guess I will cash in some more clad and get one.
Then I will wait to find a good deal on those stupidly expensive micro SD cards, too.
When you got neat toys it just never ends.

I didn't know you had a go pro. These guys were cliff diving, 60 ft, at High Falls north of here and filming with one. Here is a video I found of someone else jumping the same spot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR8Mus06m8w

I bought a couple of these high speed mirco SD cards from Amazon, so we could boot our nooks to Android OS. A 16gb for ~$15 and a 32gb for ~$24. Be careful they are small, my wife took the 16gb out and laid it somewhere, have not seen it since. http://amazon.com/s/url=search=SanDisk+Ultra+micro+SD&rh=i%3 Also, I have heard that there are fake high end cards out there, even on amazon.

Is the battery a rechargeable and just failing or are you buying weird expensive lithiums for it?
http://www.amazon.com/s/url=search-aliasgopro+rechargeable+battery

I didn't know you had a go pro. These guys were cliff diving, 60 ft, at High Falls north of here and filming with one. Here is a video I found of someone else jumping the same spot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR8Mus06m8w

I bought a couple of these high speed mirco SD cards from Amazon, so we could boot our nooks to Android OS. A 16gb for ~$15 and a 32gb for ~$24. Be careful they are small, my wife took the 16gb out and laid it somewhere, have not seen it since. http://amazon.com/s/url=search=SanDisk+Ultra+micro+SD&rh=i%3 Also, I have heard that there are fake high end cards out there, even on amazon.

Is the battery a rechargeable and just failing or are you buying weird expensive lithiums for it?

I found over $200 in clad this year and keeping with my policy of just buying things for this hobby out of only my finds I cleaned and cashed it all in at my bank, (for free), and got that camera a few weeks ago.
Those micro cards sure are small and easily lost so I know what you mean.
The batteries for the GoPro are rechargeable but don't last forever.
I have a 16 gig card that will hold about 2 hours and 15 minutes but if I leave the camera turned on the battery won't last quite that long and I hate to turn it off to conserve battery power and miss something good.

Michael this camera is cool!
Not only can you download a pretty good and robust editing program from their site that you can do all kinds of great stuff with including zoom so I can show the face plate and the numbers on my screen when I get better at this,
but I can also get a free app for my Android phone that can control the camera remotely using the wifi and not only turn it on and off but it will actually show me what it is viewing right there on my phone.
I guess I will need to do this to get the view angle correct because as you can see I have a little trouble with that.
That's fine, overcoming and mastering learning curves is my thing.

Soon I expect I will be able to make some pretty cool vids and I am looking forward to that and posting them.

Man, I love living in the 21st century and all the cool toys we have at our disposal!

Ryan I was just through that area this past weekend. I used to live up there....It is a great place.

BTW congrats Digger27! That F2 is an awesome machine....thanks for leading so many of us to it. What are you filming with the gopro? I need to get one...I have a scorpion camera that I used when I was a cop. Havent tried it much.

Ryan I was just through that area this past weekend. I used to live up there....It is a great place.

BTW congrats Digger27! That F2 is an awesome machine....thanks for leading so many of us to it. What are you filming with the gopro? I need to get one...I have a scorpion camera that I used when I was a cop. Havent tried it much.

I just film my hunts as long as the battery lasts.
The thing will record about 17.5 minutes at a time that uses 1.85 gigs for each section and then it resets if you don't turn it off, but each section can be seamlessly edited together easily and make a long movie if you want or you can do all sorts of editing if you use the free program.

The problem I have is I loaded up my 500 gig hard drive on my main computer with about 400 gigs of movies of me learning to use this new toy, digging pretty much just normal trash and coins but nothing great till I finally caught this one on film.
All that used memory slowed down my computer so much that the editing software doesn't really work all that well right now.

This last hunt was just great as far as digging in great moist dirt, showing how I move around my sites, efficiently use my tools, locate and acquire targets, use the Propointer to zero in and dig small holes and there are F2 users out there and others that have requested I post more of those kinds of videos even if I am digging the most boring targets.

Here I am only 3 1/2 years into this hobby and I seem to have gathered a few fans and that astonishes me and thrills me to no end, I can assure you.

I guess it is time to delete most of these older files, learn to point the camera right and go on some more hunts and hopefully find some great things to post them as a learning tool and for entertainment.
I am just kind of anal about doing things the best I possibly can especially for stuff in the public domain so it won't be long before I can make some vids that I can really be proud of and would be thrilled to post.
Also my wife wants me to start a blog and monetize it so I can pull in a few bucks which sounds pretty interesting since I do love to write and teach when I can.

Back
Top Bottom