• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

New from central PA

beepsticker

A relative newbie to the whole detecting hobby. I had watched many you tube videos and decided, finally, in fall of 2018 to get myself a machine. I checked many different brands, and the reviews and concluded that a Garrett AT Max would do well for me. I didn't want to get a cheaper model and then wish I had a better one, so just went with a better model.
I am glad I did. I spent a bunch of time in the parking area of the local fairgrounds, just learning the tones, sounds, and depth perception of my new "stick". I surprisingly did find about five or six silver coins, and a .925 silver ring! Along with plenty of junk, and clad coins and of course pennies.
In early April I decided to try some "real" detecting , and promptly became quite spoiled.
In the first three weeks, I found a King George iii penny, a 1908 D dime, a 1884 Indian Head cent, and a musket ball. Also a few other silver coins (40's,50's) a few wheaties, and a load of pennies, cans,bottle caps,scrap iron, etc.
I also discovered a couple of arrowheads. (The area I hunted was reported to be a gathering place for three native tribes to fish the river during the spring runs of eels and chad.)
I hope to learn more, have a fun time, find many more interesting items, and maybe meet others who enjoy this as much as I have so far.

Congrats on your finds. I'd say you are doing very well, especially as you are new to this great hobby. Good luck to you and keep up the nice finds. A fellow PA hunter.

Welcome I'm new as well. I'm thinking of the max as too. What is your favorite thing about that unit?

I watched a lot of you tube videos, and was impressed by not only the depth of the finds, but also the ability to use under water, the wireless headphones and the ease of changing settings. It helps that Garrett is well known for metal detectors in other areas such as building security and landmine clearing (not that I will likely ever need those!)
What I like best is (now that I have used it ) the "balance" in my hand. It did not take long to get quite comfortable how it feels (weight, swing momentum, etc.)

welcome

I too am a new member. You live in a great state to detect in. I try to make summer trips to Pennsylvannia to hit some old spots. I spend time in and around Durham. A lot of old coins and buttons . good luck, Steve

Back
Top Bottom