1847 garage sale large cent.real?

father/son/ohio

Elite Member
hey everybody. my dad picked up this large cent at a garage sale the other day for a few bucks. i dont think its the real deal but he does. what do you think? real or not? thanks in advanced.

HH f/s/o

Attachments

• 153.jpg
    153.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 657
  • 155 (2).jpg
    155 (2).jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 644
It's the real deal can't believe you got that in a yard sale , even with that weird damage you already made a profit ! :D sweeeet!

It's the real deal can't believe you got that in a yard sale , even with that weird damage you already made a profit ! :D sweeeet!

He did?

Yes, it's real. However the damage was done is strange :?:

And no, it's not a clipped planchet.

Clipped planchet, how to tell ?

He did?

Yes, it's real. However the damage was done is strange :?:

And no, it's not a clipped planchet.

Not doubting that it is not a clipped planchet. I'm just not really sure how to tell. Got a recent Jefferson nickel which may be one (not sure). Have to dig it out for a pict. Are they only found on modern coins ?

C

I found a large copper piece (penny, large cent?) with a sort of folded-over look metal detecting near some train tracks. I just chalked it up to someone putting the coin on some tracks and waiting for a train. Maybe the coin was cut through a process like this?

Not doubting that it is not a clipped planchet. I'm just not really sure how to tell. Got a recent Jefferson nickel which may be one (not sure). Have to dig it out for a pict. Are they only found on modern coins ?

C

180 degrees from the clip should appear flattening which is known as the "blaksley effect". WOLF

Looks Legit to me, also looks like it got burned

You know what?

I've been sitting here staring at that thing for about 20 minutes, just trying to imagine any way of accomplishing that damage.

It looks like the obverse edge is smoothly curved down, while the reverse edge appears retracted.

If that thing was sitting flat and face up on a hard, cold surface (like an anvil), and you started heating the edge with a torch to the point that it just started to bead, and then you pulled the torch away, I think it's altogether possible that kind of deformation could occur.

I think you're right.

Back
Top Bottom