Thought I found a real gold mine but...

Skribnod

Went out today after 2 weeks of trying to obtain permission to hunt a old early 1800's house. I was so excited to get permission and anticipated the day of the hunt. Well it was a bust... not a coin in sight. There was tons, and I mean tons of junk around this place. I was digging pieces of cans and beer tabs for 6 hours without a good signal. There was so much trash under the ground and on top I finally gave up and went to a different spot. Fortunately the other homestead on this farm had some wheats and my first Merc dime(1925). Even though I found my first merc I came home a little dissapointed in the days hunt. Any ideas on how to hunt a severly trashy area like this? I have hunted the local parks and did not have as much rejecting on the Etrac as this place had. The beer cans and tabs were down 9 inches in some spots , how they got that deep is beyond me. I think there is some good old coins there but I can't keep the machine from nulling enough to find them. Thanks

FAS_4572.jpg

FAS_4571.jpg

FAS_4576.jpg

I guess you're just going to have to dig everything up and clean the place up before you get any of the good stuff. At least you got a merc.

oh u gotta know its there man! just sift, dig and sift!!! you'll get lucky. Glad u got your first merc today!

I guess you're just going to have to dig everything up and clean the place up before you get any of the good stuff. At least you got a merc.

I hear a lot of people suggest this but in my opinion it is not realistic to clean up all of the trash at sites like this. I'm talking about the places where you get a beep every 2 inches. Some people might be willing to try but not me. I'd rather move on to another site.

That's an incredible looking place. Is that in Wisconsin?

If I remember, you have an Etrac - you might want to try a smaller coil to better identify targets in an extreme trash environment. I have the 6x8 SEF coil for mine - but have used the Sunray x5 with good success.

-George

What I do

First congrats on the Silver..they really are getting harder to find ya know! In very heavy trash I keep my mask on and dig only the high right showings. I was in a spot today that was flashing 28-47, 29-48, 27-50, over 30 times I hit these signals but they all showed up bottom right, as junk.

Thanks for the replies. geodawn... yes thats in wisconsin about 6 miles from my house. The place is set back in 1/4 of a mile off the road and it just has a path for access to it, not viewable from the road. I know there is good stuff there but the Etrac went nuts all day. It was nulling so much I don't think I heard the threshold tone over a dozen times in a hour. There was everything from buried old TV antena to the old canning lids with the white glass inside. Anyone willing to try it just pm me and I can show you were it's at. I am looking at a 6 inch coil for better seperation on targets, maybe that will help.

That looks like a great place to hunt. You are just going to have to work on getting some of the junk out of the way before you can find the goodies. If you want a hand and it's near me I would like to get out and give it a shot, I'm near Madison. Let me know.

Not everything comes easy buddy. Make this a project hunt. Hit it ever so often and in time it will be prime hunting area for you. If you found one silver you can bet there is more. Good Luck. Place like that with permission come far and few here.

Thanks for the replies. geodawn... yes thats in wisconsin about 6 miles from my house. The place is set back in 1/4 of a mile off the road and it just has a path for access to it, not viewable from the road. I know there is good stuff there but the Etrac went nuts all day. It was nulling so much I don't think I heard the threshold tone over a dozen times in a hour. There was everything from buried old TV antena to the old canning lids with the white glass inside. Anyone willing to try it just pm me and I can show you were it's at. I am looking at a 6 inch coil for better seperation on targets, maybe that will help.

A small coil will help. You might try 2 tone ferrous. It will pound your ear drums on a trashy site, but will help you sort through all the trash looking for the goodies.

A small coil will help. You might try 2 tone ferrous. It will pound your ear drums on a trashy site, but will help you sort through all the trash looking for the goodies.

Agreed. I wouldn't give up on just yet. I bet there is some good stuff to be found there. I would go really slow in TTF. The E-Trac will find the goods without having to dig all the trash.

Looks like it would be a great spot, you did well in getting permission. Well, you've got a spot to revisit when you've got time as it's close to your house....

There have been a couple of recent posts regarding hunting around tree skirts, check them out. I would think less trash at the base of old trees and more valuables. Good luck on your next hunt!

the etrac will sing out on anything round and nonferrous even nulled out
i found a silver quarter yesterday in a completely nulled out area
when i found it i was thinking about you and this thread you might be surprised one day dont give up
curtis

Attachments

• IMG_0335.JPG
    IMG_0335.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 240
Nice quarter! I still have it on a backup for now. I am hunting easier spots to get them out of the way and then revisit the site later when I am running low on spots. I know no one else will hunt it since it is not viewable from the road and the gate stays locked.

the etrac is supposed to shine in that environment,,,, the coins will still ring out even if the machine is nulling,,,(as stated above),,, smaller coil and go slow patients will bring silver my friend

My house was built in 1840, so thats 180 years of people being in my yard. When I hunt it, I dig everything, have yet to find anything great. Like you said, there is trash everywhere, but I know the good stuff is down there somewhere. I agree with bonesquat, you have to get rid of all the junk first. If I were you, I would hang in there, there has to be treasure, just has to be...Good Luck....Curt:grin:

What id do in thats situation is take a hefty bag with ya and grid it off maybe 50*50 sections maybe take some time but maybe some nice rewards

Back
Top Bottom