Odds and Ends

RainorShine

Forum Supporter
Had to go to the beach today to take advantage of one of the lowest tides of the year. Digging in the cobble on the beaches around here is never an easy task, and most coins are not laying flat so you get a nice signal. Instead, you walk over the same spot from three different directions and you suddenly get a beep. Can't say I found a lot, mostly a bunch of very thin worn clad pennies. However, there were three noteworthy items. The first is a very thin Shield Nickel. Can't read the date and can hardly see the design without magnification, but it is definitely a Shield. Second was a bullet, apparently unfired, but looks to be an old style bullet about .40 Caliber. The final item was a gold dentistry crown. Pretty weighty for it's size. I don't have a scale so don't really know how much it actually weighs. In the end it was a worthwhile six hours of swinging the coil. Thanks for looking. Everyone stay safe and HH.

Attachments

• another.jpg
    another.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 145
shield nickels aren't easy to find on the west coast. Congratz.

And the gold teeth on the beach is most-likely the result of people who scatter the ashes of their loved ones in the surf, on the beach. Ie.: when someone wants their ashes "scattered into the sea", then it's become apparently common for them to just do it into the surf. As opposed to going out into a boat into the ocean or whatever into deep water. I've found multiple gold teeth while beach hunting. Kinda eerie, eh ?

And the gold teeth on the beach is most-likely the result of people who scatter the ashes of their loved ones in the surf, on the beach. Ie.: when someone wants their ashes "scattered into the sea", then it's become apparently common for them to just do it into the surf. As opposed to going out into a boat into the ocean or whatever into deep water. I've found multiple gold teeth while beach hunting. Kinda eerie, eh ?

Mostly just interesting. I've got a buddy who says he pulled 3 crowns within 2 feet of each other one time. To me, gold is gold, even if it looks like a tooth. I never realized how heavy they were. Felt like it weighed about 1/3 to 1/2 as much as the bullet. I'd get a small scale, but wouldn't be putting it to much use.

Back
Top Bottom