Boom! First Silver! 1853 Seated Liberty Half Dollar

CmonNow

Four inches under the surface, three feet from a paved walking/biking trail and four feet from the base of some support cables for a power pole, not far from one of the main entrances to the county fairgrounds in town. The fairgrounds have been used for that purpose since at least 1895 according to historic maps, and maybe longer based on this coin.

It's pretty well worn, with a lot of the detail gone. But, I knew I had a lifetime event on my hands as soon as it popped loose from the dirt. I saw the edge and a little bit of one side, saw the shine, and knew it was silver. I about soiled myself and passed out. Not only because of the silver, but partly because it was 91 degrees F, humid, no breeze, the sun was pounding me like a professional boxer, and sweat was dripping off my nose.

Yes, I scratched it, right next to the date. Somehow I always knew I would scratch my first silver, and I came to accept that in a dream some time back. But that's okay, it makes it mine. And it wouldn't have been for sale at any price, so it doesn't matter. Well, if it was mint condition and worth $3000, maybe I would have thought about selling it for a minute or two, but I really don't think so.

Found 11 other coins today, all clad and pennies, along with a copper token from Grand Slam Sports, which is a laser tag and "family entertainment" place in Burnsville, Minnesota, about 45 minutes from here. The token rang up like an old penny or a dime. I didn't scratch the damn token. Oh no, of course not, not the token, that looks as good as the day it was struck. 😭

I have probably 20 hours into hunting this fairgrounds and I've found about 40 coins, but this one is the king (queen?). Just by chance, the head groundskeeper came by right after I found it, was pretty interested, took a picture of the coin, and told me that other people detect here from time to time, and drove off on his golf cart. Bad news about other people detecting there (which I suspected because of what I was finding and not finding), but they missed this one, the dumbasses. 🙂

I bought an AT Max to give some variety from using my Equinox. I found this with the AT Max. It rang up at 87-90 in the ground and 89-90 on the surface. I wish I had found it with the Equinox because it really has a hold on my heart more than the AT Max does, but I made the decision to use the Garrett today, and now I have to live with it. I think I'll be okay.

My life felt complete for about 15 minutes afterward and I was walking on air, but then I realized that that fairgrounds is old, and even though other sad schlubs have been detecting there, there is still more old silver to be found, there has to be. I've only covered about five percent of the total ground available there, and I will keep at it. I have no choice now.

Attachments

• 1853 Seated Liberty Half Dollar - First Silver found 02.jpg
    1853 Seated Liberty Half Dollar - First Silver found 02.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 455
  • 1853 Seated Liberty Half Dollar back - First Silver found 02.jpg
    1853 Seated Liberty Half Dollar back - First Silver found 02.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:
Wow what a first silver! I've found around 1,000 silver coins in my career, guess how many are seated half dollars? Yup, nada! HUGE CONGRATS!

:wow2: That is an extraordinary first silver! For many, that is a once-in-a-lifetime recovery. I like how you noted that the shovel scratch "makes it mine;" that's a good way to think of it. :waytogo:

That may be the best first silver post ever! I hope you won't be disappointed if that never happens again! That is one sweet find!

Really now? Your first silver is a HALF DOL. from the 1850s??!! :shock: I fear for your future. It's looking pretty bleak. Nah, that's just me, getting my jealousy out of the way.
Stunning find! I do worry about your competition there now, though. Golf cart guy has a pic on his phone now, and he ain't gonna keep it to himself. I'm guessing your fairgrounds will be getting more coil coverage for a while.
Let us know what other oldies you come across there!

Wowser your first silver is a seated half no less. When any silver coins from now on turn out to be plain old silver mercs and rosies please don't pitch them over the fence. My congratulations to you.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Congrats on a very nice first find! You know it's all down hill from there, right? (JK)

Wow...any silver half is great find, but a seated half is in a league of its own. Major congrats on finding that Big Old silver, especially with an "O" mint mark!

Great first silver that is for sure. Your research paid off.
Heck don't feel bad about the 800. Just don't tell the 800 you cheated on him/her.

I have an 800 and Vanquish 540. Took the 540 to the volley ball court today. Just found a couple of beer bottle caps.

Maybe using the 540 is worse than using the AT Max, you know kind like cheating with someone in the family/friends?

Ok, that’s not fair play. You need to go bury that seated half back in the ground, then go spend AT LEAST 10 years digging Mercs and Rosies. After that, you can go back and dig up your awesome seated half.

Just kidding. :D

Outstanding first silver! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Congrats! My very first silver coin was an 1899 Barber half and I was on cloud nine when I dug it. I can imagine how excited you are! What a bodacious first silver!

Congrats. That's an amazing find. What a great property to have in your back pocket. Few places with that much square footage, history, foot traffic, trash, and cash transactions are ever completely hunted out.

rule number one.. when a place is hunted out, pounded to death, and yields nothing...hunt it again.

i have hunted one park for 20 plus years. dirt moved, trees or shrubs moved, dirt brought in, and mainly changing settings machines coils sweep speeds dry rain hot cold etc.... you never get it all. my guru has hunted with older relatives 50 yrs and lived two blocks from this pre civil war era park land before it was a park made in 1800s. he had 3 bank bags silver coins. i got a deep half he missed and a Block I confederate button. many other old deep coins and tokens and some jewelry. he used state of the art machines during his hunts with absolute pro hunters too.

you never get it all new machines old machines dont really matter sometimes. the only way to get it all is sift it to hardpan undisturbed ever dirt. . that wont happen.

congrats. i have only 3 seateds they are a rare treat here. ther will be more there as here. just got to get out change up and hunt. dont be afraid to try wierd settings either. gets fun sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom