first silver FTY - 1860-O half

DougF

Elite Member
I haven't posted a find on here for a long time, but this deserved a post. Today was only my fifth hunt this year, too many other things going on. I went to my old standby park, which has been hammered, but there are still some good finds here. The soil today was bone dry and the grass was high, but I tried to find some deep targets. I dug a few clad coins, then a deep one which turned out to be junk. Finally got a good silver signal showing a depth of 8 or 9 inches. It was a weak signal, but got better when I switched from semi-auto to manual on the SE. Was at least 8 inches deep. A few years ago I had found a seated quarter within 20 feet of where I found this half. This is my oldest silver coin.

Attachments

• IMG_1563.jpg
    IMG_1563.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 533
  • IMG_1562.jpg
    IMG_1562.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 475
  • 1860-O half in dirt.jpg
    1860-O half in dirt.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 510
Stunning . And I like the fresh-reveal pix. A "come to papa" moment :cool3:

Excellent! Love the fresh from the dirt pictures. That hasn't seen the light of day for a long time. Just awesome.

Smart. Keeping the dirt off the grass like that. How many of these things have to be found before I find mine ?

Wow a seated half, and from a park even. I'm thunder struck! Congratulations!

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Wow...any silver half is great find, but a seated half is in a league of its own. Major congrats on finding that Big Old silver, especially with an "O" mint mark!

Thanks for the comments - After I found a seated quarter in this spot several years ago, I went back there and searched it many times. I did find a CW Union overcoat button but no more silver. I guess I just had to hit this target exactly right to hear it.

Incredible find. What a beautiful coin. Don't see many of those coming out of parks. Major congrats!

Back
Top Bottom