• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

First Fatty!

longbow62

Forum Supporter
I think I made a comment just the other day on matmits Flying Eagle thread about how difficult it is to find mid 1800's coins where I live. I really can't believe it but this evening I found my first Fatty IHP a 1863. Which makes it my 2nd oldest coin found to date.

The place I found it is known for older coins, but older around here is late 1800's and early 1900's. At this site the modern trash is super thick mixed with iron which makes finding coins real tough. So tough most hunts your lucky to even find a coin. I was digging just about everything this evening and got a beep jumping 15-16-17 on my Nox 800. It sounded good so I dug it. I knew by the thickness right away it had to be a fatty. It's far from the the best IHP I have dug, but I'm not complaining.

By the way it rang up 12-23 on a buddies Etrac. He said he would not have dug it. It probably has been passed over in the past by several people including myself. I just happen to be digging about everything today from a nickel up.

Attachments

• Fatty1.jpg
    Fatty1.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 545
  • Fatty2.jpg
    Fatty2.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 504
  • Fatty3.jpg
    Fatty3.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 512
Last edited:
Awesome score! I found one yesterday with a hole drilled in the middle. Yours seems to be in much better shape, considering the age, and nickel content. Congrats!

Great find! This is one that has not worked it's way into my collection yet. I think a good amount of detectorists would just walk over these signals, since they ring up so low.

Awesome score! I found one yesterday with a hole drilled in the middle. Yours seems to be in much better shape, considering the age, and nickel content. Congrats!

Thanks, and congrats as well!

Congrats. I scored yesterday as well. 1863

Congrats!

Great find longbow62!

I have not yet found a fatty.....

Thanks, it's the oldest IHP to come off this site so far that I know of. A Fatty was one of the rarer old coins I thought might be possible, but figured even it was a long shot considering I only find 3-4 IHP's a year and those are usually early 1900's.

Great find! This is one that has not worked it's way into my collection yet. I think a good amount of detectorists would just walk over these signals, since they ring up so low.

Thanks, your correct about walking over this type signal especially when this place is literally full of these type signals. This area is actually a community garden so it gets tilled once or twice a year, but due to COVID-19 this year it has not been tilled. They are just mowing it. It was maybe 3" and did have a nice full tone which caught my attention.

Congrats !!!!!
That is a tough tough coin .....
I managed a couple at an 1850 school site 3 years ago but haven't seen one since.
Way to knock that one off the list.

Congratulations on the bucket list fatness 👍

Gotta be more where that came from .
Maybe even a flying eagle 🦅.
, Dew

Congrats on the fatty! Along with the LC one of my favorites.
Thanks, An LC is another tough coin to find in this area.

Congrats! Nice saves!

Thanks!

Sweet! Nice find, congrats!

Thanks!

I love my Indians, looking forward to finding a fatty.

Thanks, any hunt I find an IHP I am happy!

Awesome find longbow!

Thanks!

Congrats !!!!!
That is a tough tough coin .....
I managed a couple at an 1850 school site 3 years ago but haven't seen one since.
Way to knock that one off the list.

Thanks, at least here another one does not seem likely, but you never know.

Congratulations on the bucket list fatness 👍

Gotta be more where that came from .
Maybe even a flying eagle 🦅.
, Dew

Thanks, yes that is something I have thought about. A Flying Eagle would be an awesome find.

Well, I for one, did not find one of those yesterday, or any day...ever. Good call on digging. Those numbers are usually trash, but sometimes the depth or other factors can get your attention.
1863!

Back
Top Bottom