found a large cent

newdigger

been playing with my sons bounty hunter junior that i got him and now i am hooked. first time out in our yard we found a 1919 merc, and today i found a large cent . i was verry excited when i pulled it out of the ground , bad news is there is a hole in it. anyone now why someone would put a hole in it. (i will be ordering a f2 in a couple of weeks for myself)
005-1.jpg

I've found a few with holes before pants had pockets sewed in alot of times they would string the coins threw a piece of leather and wear them around like a necklace .

Welcome to the forum. Finding those in your own yard would surely hook anyone. Great hobby to share with the family and could be the start of a great collection. Congratulations and Happy Hunting.:yes:

Welcome on board.Congrats on the finds. Most of us pay our dues with a bucket of pulltabs & bottle caps first. Well, i'm sure yours are still out there just waiting for ya.:D Good hunting.

well i found my share of junk too, i also found one of those chinese coins with a hole in the middle and a few wheaties. my house was built in 1830 so i think with a better md i should be able to find some good stuff.

Welcome!!! Hole or not, it's still a nice LC. Congrats on the find.
Some of the members' reasons given for the holes are new to me...thanks for the info.

My latest LC find has a hole...looks like a necklace pendant.

Attachments

• Image95.jpg
    Image95.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 272
Nice LC, some folks would nail them above a doorway for good luck. I also found out that they were used to tag livestock cows, oxes before fences became popular so farmer Jack would let everyone know around him that Betsy the cow is tagged with a 1851 LC.

Hole or not it's still a very cool find and in really good shape considering. Your yard looks like a detectorists dream. Maybe there's a gold coin buried somewhere on your property.

Nice LC, some folks would nail them above a doorway for good luck. I also found out that they were used to tag livestock cows, oxes before fences became popular so farmer Jack would let everyone know around him that Betsy the cow is tagged with a 1851 LC.
Then the houses would burn down and then many years later you find the large cent with the hole in it~ now go find the nail :) Congratulations!

Back
Top Bottom