May was unreal for a claddie

wasatchau

I don't post often because all I find is clad and a little .925. But May was an exceptional month, $355 in clad, 6 silver and my first 950. First the talkie-talkie and then the pictures.
After doing the stay home stay safe thing for March and April, I decided to try a closed middle school across town. It was damaged by earthquake in March. No one allowed in the building, grounds mostly empty and unkempt and lots of ground to wander around on.
The location was a good choice. As it turned out I could only work it evening hours and on Saturday and Sunday. I wasn’t the only one to find the place either. Pick-up soccer games started the first weekend (during 'stay home-stay safe') and got bigger and bigger, until the school cops showed up and ran them off. There was a cop there for a few days so I found another place until he left. But that school really paid off. I had multiple consecutive best clad hunts and some really nice silver. Final results for the school was $220 with $30, $33 and $35 days with lots of dollar coins.
On off-days I drove around looking for another school to hunt and ran across a fairly new looking junior high and gave it a shot for a full Saturday. My new best clad day at $51.91!!! (88 quarters and 23 dollar coins) And even better, I got a ring that I thought was stainless steel, but has a 950 stamp in it. My first platinum ring; 5.2 grams of sorta dull looking metal.
The last two days of the month, working both schools, produced $86 including 37 dollar coins. There is still a lot of ground to work, and once the high tones are gone, I’ll work both locations for gold. Man, that dumpy little school has spoiled me! All locations for the month gave up 83 dollar coins.
Final tally: $355 in clad, $7+ in pennies (mostly copper), 6 silver rings (35.5gm) and the 950 platinum ring. Oh, there was a gold ring. One of those sick moments of discovery. OMG! 18K…what are those letters? HGE ? Oh well, nice try. Maybe next month.
I’ll never have another month like May 2020.
I apologize for poor photos. I use an old flipphone and my camera is an old digital. Good enough for a 74 yo OCD hunter.

Attachments

• DSCN1840.JPG
    DSCN1840.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 305
  • DSCN1839.JPG
    DSCN1839.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 278
Great post! Thats a serious monthly clad count! So many dollar coins too. Glad you also got over some nice silver rings and coins in addition. Is that a Walker half I see? Just imagining the number of recoveries... $7.00 in pennies? Wow. That makes my 42 year old knees ache just thinking about it. Top shelf!

EDIT: I forgot to mention the platinum ring. You have a lot going on in this post. Really awesome.

That's some serious coin stabbing. The platinum ring is awesome, but the dollar coin count is most impressive to me. Congratulations on all the finds! Stiffy said it well... you do have a lot going on in this post.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your comments. The 950 ring still looks like a junk stainless steel to me.
Total coin count for the month was 2600. Not the most ever, but the most dimes, quarters and dollars in a month (and 200 nickles). The walking liberty was a one-off find in an unused soccer pitch next to a rec center six blocks from the house on a 20 minute hunt. Totally unexpected. Not another high-tone to be found there. I'll keep looking. It's my 'full moon' hunt area.
The dumpy school is only 50% done. The new school is 5% done. There's more dollars from the vending machines to be found.
I plan on spending some time looking for low/mid tones this summer at several schools. I'm really pining for some gold. Skippy's finds drive me crazy!!
J

Yeah Ramble, I'm saving for a post-covid trip to the UK to detect for something really old. I'd planned on going this year, but traveling is not such a welcoming thought right now. Especially if I have to quarantine for 14 days once I get there. Doesn't make any sense to travel right now.
Picked up another 34 quarters and 5 dollar coins at the new school today in a 90 minute hunt. I'll keep at it.

Man that’s a lot of great finds in so little a time!

There is a 950 mark that means silver too, usually platinum will have PLAT on it too. So that ring could be higher % silver.

Amazing hunting. Wow, just wow!!!

After reading your post and considering the tremendous amount of holes you dug not counting trash, I only have strength enough to type WOW and congratulations.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

I clean all the clad (no pennies) in 5 to 6 pound batches in a Lyman rotary tumbler in two steps. 90 minutes to two hours with chicken grit, a drop of Dawn and water. Drain, rinse and tumbler about two hours with the Lyman steel pins, vinegar slightly diluted and a few grains of salt. Rinse, dry, sort out the damaged coins and run thru the credit unions coin counter. $350.60 result for May. I had several dollars worth of damaged coins.
The silver gets a good toothbrushing with lava soap and a polish with FLITZ.

I've tried a lot of differnt methods for cleaning clad. Awhile back a member posted that he uses chicken grit to clean clad. (what a great idea. Thank you!) Using that has cut my cleaning time to an afternoon instead of a long day. And the clad is 'till ready', clean and shiney. There may be a better way, but until it pops up, I'll use this method. It works for me.

I gotta admit it's the best month ever for clad. I'm looking for another 'honey hole'. They seem to be few and far between. Keep prospecting, you'll find one.
Happy Hunting!

Wasatchu,

If you're finding $220+ in clad in a SCHOOL, I literally guarantee there is gold there.

I've never had a school that produced more than $40 in clad that didn't also produce at least one gold ring. The higher the clad amount, the more gold rings come out.

The fact you've pulled that many silver rings is also a good sign.

Seriously... if people are losing that much money, it's worth going back and checking any mid-tone that isn't verifiable as trash. One single gold ring is worth all the clad you found... to put that in perspective.

You find 2-5 rings, and you've seriously made bank.

As an example, the last High School I discovered hadn't been hit in a while (producing $45 in coins) I pulled 4 gold rings out of, a half-dozen silvers, 2 tungsten, and a couple stainless steels, in addition to the pendants from necklaces.

Where ever that was, it'd be my #1 place to go find gold.

Cheers,

Skippy

Back
Top Bottom