Pair Of Identical Tokens

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
Earlier this week I hunted my last farm field/former home site permission that hasn’t been planted yet (and judging by the weeds, it won’t get planted this year - it’s slated to become a housing development “soon”). I’ve hunted it several times already, and the good finds have slowed to a trickle, but it’s literally in my backyard so it’s great for those “time’s short, I need a quick hit” kind of hunts :yes:

I started the hunt with a few hits on some unidentifiable brass bits, but then got over a small buckle for the first keeper. A couple of Montgomery Ward “Redhead” shotshell headstamps and the shaft of an eating utensil came next.

I was just about to call it quits and head in for dinner when I got over a deeper signal, with a jumpy VDI. It sounded like a potential Indian, although the VDI was averaging a number or two too low (mostly 18-19 showing on the EQ800). Digging down about 7-8”, I was pleased to pop out a big coin shaped disk! I couldn’t make out any detail through the dirt, but it was definitely too thin for a US Large Cent, and it didn’t ring up right for that anyway...maybe a Canadian Largie?? I had found one of those before, but couldn’t remember what the VDI was. The mystery would have to wait until clean up...savoring the suspense, I popped it into my pouch.

But dinner would have to wait too...buoyed by a potentially nice find, I sniffed around the vicinity a little longer. About 10 feet away, I got over another deeper, jumpy signal, but this one was a higher tone - centered more in the low to mid 20s on the EQ800. From about 7” down, I was ecstatic to bring up another big, greenish disc...but this one I could see right away had some lettering, an old “Good For” token! On a hunch, I took the mystery disc out of my pouch and compared them - yep, exact same size and thickness!

Clean up at home turned out to be very difficult and time consuming. Despite the sandy soil, it turned out both tokens suffered quite a bit of corrosion. The first one I knew was going to be rough because it showed no detail at all out of the hole and the crust was like concrete. The second one I honestly thought was going to be relatively easy, but one side ended up having a huge splotch of bronze disease that can’t be completely removed. Patient work eventually confirmed they are both, indeed, two examples of the same token though. With the help of tokencatalog,com, the name on the obverse can be identified as “H. R. Hopkins”. It’s partially visible on one, but apparently the name is completely obliterated by the bronze disease bubbling up on the other.

Despite their rough shape, I’m thrilled with the pair! I love the large size, which is somewhat unusual for a relatively small denomination token. The all incuse lettering just oozes age and the tokens themselves are dripping with history!

Attachments

• B444D31C-D420-48EB-A65E-C5C77C759B6F.jpg
    B444D31C-D420-48EB-A65E-C5C77C759B6F.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 260
  • CF538807-3F82-4B4C-AF4B-36F1CBDFC899.jpg
    CF538807-3F82-4B4C-AF4B-36F1CBDFC899.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 200
  • AE69F40B-A363-4080-8ADF-A3AA7A4F2D8C.jpg
    AE69F40B-A363-4080-8ADF-A3AA7A4F2D8C.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 222
  • ECA553A2-D1E8-49EE-8139-BB6B02970C47.jpg
    ECA553A2-D1E8-49EE-8139-BB6B02970C47.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 224
  • AD111D32-B35A-49AC-9662-A4655FF40461.jpg
    AD111D32-B35A-49AC-9662-A4655FF40461.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 209
  • CD834EC5-5785-49EC-BD14-0D9521F443B1.jpg
    CD834EC5-5785-49EC-BD14-0D9521F443B1.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 223
  • 4DA750FA-B60B-417A-ACCD-8D8153DA310F.jpg
    4DA750FA-B60B-417A-ACCD-8D8153DA310F.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 223
  • A909F3CF-F9DD-47E1-B627-FBB6BAE7D60C.jpg
    A909F3CF-F9DD-47E1-B627-FBB6BAE7D60C.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 219
  • A4535515-470B-42D2-BAA9-8986A2B3BA93.jpg
    A4535515-470B-42D2-BAA9-8986A2B3BA93.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 202
Yes, they did clean up nice and the worst one would be a great keeper.
Great finds.

Have you got back into the overgrown area (I think it is next to that field)?

Another small piece of local history saved. Hopefully some more information can be found for the person or the business. But then again you know as well as I do that back in the day lots of little businesses popped up in places that no longer exist and records were lost.
Glad to see you've made it out detecting as for me I've hit the blah blahs of life and need a swift kick in the rear.

Nice tokens! And a set to boot- I’m not sure how lucky I’ll be in SoCal finding things like that, so I’ll admire yours from afar. Congrats!

Man those cleaned up nicely, congrats on the cool token duo!

Thanks GS! It took a lot of patience and care, but I’m pretty happy with how they turned out, especially considering how crusty the first one was!

Yes, they did clean up nice and the worst one would be a great keeper.
Great finds.

Have you got back into the overgrown area (I think it is next to that field)?

Thanks waltr! Yes, I’m perfectly pleased with both of them - plus they really compliment each other well, since opposite sides of each one came out a little better. And they even look a little better in person - the token style and patina just shout out “turn of the century” or earlier :yes:

You might be remembering one of my other permissions - this one is strictly open field. It’s supposed going to be sold and developed as an extension of my own neighborhood.

Tokens! High five!

Thanks, TS! Tokens are my favorite :hi5:

Nice. You know I like tokens. Great pair you got there! Wish I had open fields with history around here.

Awesome tokens, I much prefer finding tokens than the usual coins...

I agree, zeemang! They’re actually my favorite kind of find - much more unique than coins, with a researchable history that often directly relates to local history :cool3:

Those are a pair of nice tokens.

Thanks Jamflicker! It’s a first for me digging two that match - ever, let alone on the same hunt!

Very cool find. I have found some tags, but no tokens yet. Looking forward to finding my first one!

Thanks Diabolik! Don’t worry - it’s just a matter of time and you’ll get your coil over some. The key, as always, is location! But also keep in mind that a majority of store cards or merchant tokens ring up in the mid-tone to zinc penny range, so don’t be afraid to dig those if the depth is right, the signal has good characteristics, and the site has history.

Another small piece of local history saved. Hopefully some more information can be found for the person or the business. But then again you know as well as I do that back in the day lots of little businesses popped up in places that no longer exist and records were lost.
Glad to see you've made it out detecting as for me I've hit the blah blahs of life and need a swift kick in the rear.

Thanks Dan! And I appreciate your messaged offer to help check some local records to see if we can match up the name to something local. The example shown on Tokencatalog.com is said to have been found in “the Texas Valley” - so Mr. Hopkin’s tokens seem to have traveled far and wide! And with Hopkins being such a common name, there’s no wonder why this token is a “maverick”. But it’s certainly worth trying to find a local name match!

Nice tokens! And a set to boot- I’m not sure how lucky I’ll be in SoCal finding things like that, so I’ll admire yours from afar. Congrats!

Thanks Ramble! I really was floored to see that I had lucked out and got the pair. Yep, the geographic distribution of metallic history is definitely uneven! I feel very fortunate to have a wide variety of detectable history within easy reach in my area.

Nice. You know I like tokens. Great pair you got there! Wish I had open fields with history around here.

Thanks SW! You and me both - tokens are my absolute favorite finds! And fields are my favorite hunt zones - they’re consistent producers for older finds in my area. Without fields as an option, my older finds would drop to an even slower trickle!

Back
Top Bottom