Boom! First Silver! 1853 Seated Liberty Half Dollar

Great find!
A ‘53 with arrows!

Can’t imagine another coil swinger NOT being stoked by that half!

Tom

Congrats...

"Wow what a first silver! I've found around 1,000 silver coins in my career, guess how many are seated half dollars? Yup, nada! HUGE CONGRATS!"

I knew this was a good coin to find, but I guess I didn't know quite how good.

"That may be the best first silver post ever! I hope you won't be disappointed if that never happens again! That is one sweet find!"

It's like someone catching the world record largemouth bass the first time they ever hold a fishing rod. Tough to top it. But I'll keep on trying.

"When any silver coins from now on turn out to be plain old silver mercs and rosies please don't pitch them over the fence."

Oh, I sure won't. I was expecting my first silver to be a Rosie. I've found two 1965 Rosies. So close, but yet so far. They will all be appreciated, since there are so many corroded zinc pennies and can tabs in between them.

"Wow...any silver half is great find, but a seated half is in a league of its own. Major congrats on finding that Big Old silver, especially with an "O" mint mark!"

I didn't even see the mint mark until you mentioned it. Clever placement. New Orleans, pre-civil war. I've been to New Orleans, for Mardi Gras two years ago. It was a drunken mess, but some of the most fun I've ever had. Glad this coin was made there.

"Heck don't feel bad about the 800. Just don't tell the 800 you cheated on him/her."

Shortly after I dug the coin I realized I didn't use the Equinox, and I was kinda bummed, since that's the one I consider my flagship machine. Oh well, what the Nox doesn't know won't hurt it. I like the AT Max too, mainly the controls spelled out in words right next to the buttons so it's easier to decide (and remember) which settings to change on the fly, but it's so shrill, squeaky, and chirpy in comparison. The Nox is a much smoother machine to use as far as the sounds go, more pleasant to listen to, and is just a cut above the AT Max in several ways.

"Ok, that’s not fair play. You need to go bury that seated half back in the ground..."

I have the same thought whenever I see people's finds posted on the net. "Yeah, great, congratulations. Now there's one less coin out there for me to find. You found it, you photographed it, now put it back." Kinda like catch and release fishing. A realistic trophy mount can be made from a photo these days. :yes: That won't really work with coins though, I guess. There's a lot of ground out there to cover and a lot of coins buried in it, but what we're all really doing is digging ourselves right out of things to find.

"Few places with that much square footage, history, foot traffic, trash, and cash transactions are ever completely hunted out."

I was beginning to wonder, but if this coin was there, there's gotta be more old stuff. It was almost right under a power line and there are electrical lines in the ground in that area too. Maybe it was missed due to interference on someone's machine? Who knows? I could spend the rest of the summer hunting this place and maybe not cover it all. I go slower than the maniacs on the YouTube videos. And once you've covered ground gridded in one direction, you have to turn 90 degrees and do it all again.

"rule number one.. when a place is hunted out, pounded to death, and yields nothing...hunt it again."

So many variables involved in what a given person finds on a given day. How many times have we all read about someone following behind their buddy and finding stuff that was missed? As fast as some of these YouTube guys go, you can watch their coil and see they're missing a third to half of the ground they're walking on because they go so fast.

"That is disgustingly AWESOME!!!👍👍👍👍 You get two dingers"

I knew it was awesome, but I didn't know how awesome until I started reading people's reactions to it. I have a couple coin cases ordered for it, and some extras for my future silvers. It will be displayed where I can see it all the time.

Thanks everyone for all the comments. This is a great hobby and it's made better by the great group of people involved in it.

That is just silly, huge congrats though. Now you have a great arrows and rays Seated Half and a story to flex on all other detectorists with forever! :D

Back
Top Bottom