Been called into duty by lostmystuff.

HuntNGold

Ok everyone I need some advise. I have been emailed to help this guy find his wedding ring. But what I want to know is I'm getting my new 250 in tomorrow an would love to use it to find his ring but I will need some practice to get use to it as its a little different from what I'm using now. So any quick help on settings to use would be grateful.

Ok everyone I need some advise. I have been emailed to help this guy find his wedding ring. But what I want to know is I'm getting my new 250 in tomorrow an would love to use it to find his ring but I will need some practice to get use to it as its a little different from what I'm using now. So any quick help on settings to use would be grateful.

If it is a men's wedding band it should come in between a pullring and a zinc penny. Maybe like a pulltab. Notches 2-5 on the 250. I am betting on notch 4, take away a notch if it is a thinner mens band. Ladies notch 1 and 2.
Wow never realized that the Quick Draw II has the same notches as the 250! A huge mens class ring will come in on notch 5. These are just knowledgable guesses, based mostly on my not exactly completely relevant Minelab Experience, and experience on some lesser BH machines.

A good hands on technique would be to use some of your own jewelry, whether yours or your wife if you are married, to see how the detector reacts to that. I am not schooled on the ace 250, but if it has numbers or tones to correspond to those different types of rings, then that will help you out. Also, depending on where he lost it, it will not be buried but rather at or near the surface so you don't need to crank up the sensitivity. I can't help you if it's made of something like platinum, but if its a silver ring then it will come in just like a silver coin like a quarter, maybe even a half or dollar sized depending on size of the ring. As long as you don't notch it out and get your coil over it, you should find it. The easy part is if its not right at the surface; if it calls for you to dig, then that is not his ring unless he lost it a long time ago. Good luck!

A good hands on technique would be to use some of your own jewelry, whether yours or your wife if you are married, to see how the detector reacts to that. I am not schooled on the ace 250, but if it has numbers or tones to correspond to those different types of rings, then that will help you out. Also, depending on where he lost it, it will not be buried but rather at or near the surface so you don't need to crank up the sensitivity. I can't help you if it's made of something like platinum, but if its a silver ring then it will come in just like a silver coin like a quarter, maybe even a half or dollar sized depending on size of the ring. As long as you don't notch it out and get your coil over it, you should find it. The easy part is if its not right at the surface; if it calls for you to dig, then that is not his ring unless he lost it a long time ago. Good luck!

Notch out only iron. Wait it looks like iron and foil are together, so maybe you can't notch anything out.

Hopefully there isn't too much junk.

If it is silver, then like he said look for coins more. I think Tungsten comes in high too, I forget. I tried a tungsten ring once but I can't remember for sure.

Platinum comes in a notch or two lower than comparable gold rings! Brass and fake rings will come in higher too.

Notch out only iron and dig the rest. You don't know what it's made of or the size. I'm assuming it's a standard men's band, probably in the nickel, pull tab range.

How long ago was it lost, and where was it lost...public or private? If it was recently lost, and not a public place, then I might just look shallow and with no discrimination at all. If it's a signal which hits good, especially if the known area of it being lost at is pretty solid and minimal, and the 250 says less than an inch, look for the near surface find. You may find this in a flash.

Ignore this if the rings was lost long ago. martin

I have to email a few about the ones near me. But I was contacted by someone else to look for a wedding band for a lady. For that I get to hunt a old Gold mine with a cave.

Hope you find yours also.

It is a mans band and lost it on his property gardening this past christmas. But the whole gardening and the time I'm allready expecting to not find it on the top. Lol

you say the ring's owner is sure he lost it in the garden. If so, then ask him to pull up all metal stakes, tomato cages and get any other metal in the garden removed before you show up. It will save you some time and considerable headaches! Also ask him if he has tilled the garden area since he knew the ring was lost. If so, then you will have to dig all targets, deep or shallow. I do not know the ACE machine, but on my BH I could hunt either Tone or Descriminate mode as both knock out iron but will still pick up gold, silver and coins.

Finally, if you do not find it, ask him to let you search the walking areas between the garden and tool shed and garden and home. He may not have lost it in the garden but while working around in those areas. Then again he may be fairly certain of the exact area of the garden it should be in!

Best of luck and keep us posted! I am anxious to hear the details of how it went!

Good Luck

That ring will not be deep most likely..if Gold..dig the low tone, all of them. I recently tried to help a lady (lostmystuff) who lost a very small gold earring. The item was so small I could not even get a read on my ETrac. My best advise for her was to get a small rake and keep working it.

I've had gold rings in the "foil" notch to "penny" notch on the 250. Dig everything in that range and be sure to overlap your swings by walking very slow. Good Luck Tom

I found one ring and have tested one ring. One rang as nickel one rang as zinc penny. :)

That ring will not be deep most likely..if Gold..dig the low tone, all of them. I recently tried to help a lady (lostmystuff) who lost a very small gold earring. The item was so small I could not even get a read on my ETrac. My best advise for her was to get a small rake and keep working it.

That is when I would pull out my 305 with a HF 6" DD coil, or borrow a compadre. ETrac probably won't find gold under .5g.

Back
Top Bottom