• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

I am lost.

PlutoBlue

Hello,

I ready to buy my first metal detector. I have ALWAYS wanted one! I know that I want a digital display and headphones. And I know that I'm going to be using it in parks, beaches, etc. I also want a good battery life.

I want to spend up to $500 (or even just a little over, but I don't HAVE to spend that much if a cheaper one is the one I need).

Can someone help me as to which one to buy? There are SO many and I only want to buy one (as opposed to buying one and then wishing I had bought another one).

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME FIND THE RIGHT DETECTOR? (If you help me find the right one, I'll let you name it.)

Thank you,

Reid

Are you planning to just use it in the dry sand when you go to the beach or also in the wet sand or the water itself? Makes a big difference. :yes:

Need a little more info please.
As for a name, I like the "General".......

You would be better off before spending your money to take a week or two and read/research for yourself what detector would best meet your needs.

Rushing-out to buy, simply on the recommendation of others (many of which are across the country, or even in a different country) may very well leave you displeased with your purchase.

I may be silly, but when I buy something, I want it to satisfy my needs, not those of someone else. Then again, I guess it's just easier to have someone to tell you what to do. I bet you're married? :laughing:

Seriously, take the responsibility for your own purchase. When I see someone who won't even take the time to learn about detectors in an effort to buy their 1st, I figure they won't put forth the effort to research sites either. So, that said, just buy a Compadre, it's a great tot-lot and Park detector since those are the easiest places to find to hunt.

Hello,

There are SO many and I only want to buy one (as opposed to buying one and then wishing I had bought another one).

Reid, listen to Gauntlet...he makes a lot of sense.
Everyone is different, everyone has slightly different needs.
Do a little research, answer the beach question, make sure you get a decent digger and make sure your budget has a little over $100 for a Propointer.
If not at first, eventually.

By the way, this wishing you had bought another one thing...we call that upgrade madness and it really never ends for most of us.

You would be better off before spending your money to take a week or two and read/research for yourself what detector would best meet your needs.

Rushing-out to buy, simply on the recommendation of others (many of which are across the country, or even in a different country) may very well leave you displeased with your purchase.

I may be silly, but when I buy something, I want it to satisfy my needs, not those of someone else. Then again, I guess it's just easier to have someone to tell you what to do. I bet you're married? :laughing:

Seriously, take the responsibility for your own purchase. When I see someone who won't even take the time to learn about detectors in an effort to buy their 1st, I figure they won't put forth the effort to research sites either. So, that said, just buy a Compadre, it's a great tot-lot and Park detector since those are the easiest places to find to hunt.

Well said. :cool:

PlutoBlue, I know this is your first post, so let me explaine why people are asking for more information. If you notice, most people have their state or country, and sometimes their county or city under their join date at the top of their post. The reason that is helpful is because not only is it more interesting to know what part of the country they are in when they show there finds, but also when people ask what detector or coil to buy or what settings to use on their detector, the rest of us have some idea what soil conditions they have in their part of the country, and other people from your part of the country can tell you what works for them and why. Also when you say beaches do you mean fresh water beaches or salt water, in the wet sand or dry sand. All those things make a difference. If you are talking fresh water beaches, or the dry sand on any beach, and any land hunting, then a new Garrett AT pro (with all the improvements) would be in the under $600 range (and they are waterproof to 10 feet), but they are not good in the salt water. Give us as much information as possible and if something isn't available for your style and environment in in your price range, maybe we will suggest something used. (though not an at pro because they have made some needed improvements lately).

Thank you all for your help. I was just getting overwhelmed by so many detectors on the market.

To answer your questions:

1. I will be using it mostly (or always) on the dry part of the sand.
2. I will use it on a salt water beach.
3. I am from San Francisco California.
4. My shoe size is 11 1/2 to 12 1/2 (depending on the manufactuer)
5. I am not married. (She is too fast and knows my hiding spots by now)

What do you think? And yes, I will do my own research as well. I just had hoped you guys could help me narrow the search a little bit.

Thanks!

Ok Im new to detecting, I started at the first of the year. I'm gonna suggest something easy to use for the first detector. The higher price most of the time will give you more functions to use. You can find tons of stuff with a good entry level detector and then as you learn you can upgrade. Just my 2 cents.

Be sure to leave enough $$ to get a garrett pro pointer with your MD purchase.

Getting the two together will save you a lot of hassels.

New MD

Welcome to the forum from Lake Dallas texas. There are many good detectors on the market, You will find Most Members will recommend whatever brand or detector they are using. The banners at the top right are sponsor/dealers and link to their sites, They all give Discounts to Forum members so contact several and make sure you tell them you are a member and they will talk to you and get the info they need to recommend the Best MDs to fit your needs, Then you shopuld research and read reviews etc. and learn as much as you can about How MDs work, How the different search coils perform, How a MDs frequency and coil size relates to Depth. I took almost 8 weeks to decide on my MD and had to actually force a decision to end my continuous mental anguish. start at www.metaldetectorreviews.net They recommend the highest rated most popular MDs in the different types and price ranges....... Good Luck and Happy Hunting.....:biker: :signals: :digginahole: :biker:

Thank you all for your help. I was just getting overwhelmed by so many detectors on the market.

To answer your questions:

1. I will be using it mostly (or always) on the dry part of the sand.
2. I will use it on a salt water beach.
3. I am from San Francisco California.
4. My shoe size is 11 1/2 to 12 1/2 (depending on the manufactuer)
5. I am not married. (She is too fast and knows my hiding spots by now)

What do you think? And yes, I will do my own research as well. I just had hoped you guys could help me narrow the search a little bit.

Thanks!

Ok, considering you might want to get the Propointer right off the bat, that leaves about $400 left.
Look into a Tesoro Vaquero, a Minelab 305,or a Fisher F4.
These 3 have manual ground balance, (the Fisher in all metal mode, only), and will help if the salt water beach is going to be the place you are going to hunt most.

If you just want to get your feet wet, something a little cheaper but with a DD coil might work at the beach pretty good, too.
Ace 350 is one, I think the F2 with the DD coil is better.

Thanks for the shoe size.
If you stay in this you have to purchase the official uniform so the owners of this site have those available.
Lots of newbies coming on board so the shoes are running low, lately.
You will be responsible for the black sox...everything else you need will come in the kit.

Attachments

• 00297313.jpg
    00297313.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 967
I am in Alaska, my boot size is a 12, my soil does change a lot especially in an area north of me that produces small gold nuggets, I might do some salt beach detecting but for the most part I am after small gold, not so much into coins or relics as the places for those are minimal.

So it was suggested to me to try out the AT Gold or the Gold Bug 2, and for the places with mineralized soil the Minelab GPX 5000 which is a highly regarded gold nugget finder but is also very expensive.

I have two good sized glacier formed rivers nearby and a creek that has produced gold so I'll probably use the AT Gold, I cannot make suggestions as I do not have any real MD experience, I'm still waiting for the snow to disappear before I start using a MD yet.

thanks for the shoe size.
If you stay in this you have to purchase the official uniform so the owners of this site have those available.
Lots of newbies coming on board so the shoes are running low, lately.
You will be responsible for the black sox...everything else you need will come in the kit.

Laughing_Mouse.gifhi-5.gif

Thank you for the information about the Garret Pro Pointer. I wouldn't have had the knowledge to even think of such a thing. But, I looked at some youtube videos and I saw what others have said about them so I will save some moolah for it. Thanks guys.

I'm glad that this site has some nice people on it. I was about to come on and post something to the fact that you can all suck it! But, this was only after my original post garnered something of a jerk response (the 3rd or 4th one down). Plus on top of that, others were saying <<<<deleted by admin>>>>But, after seeing that there ARE nice and helpful freindly people. I may just stick around. Thank you all for your advice. I will try to post a pic or at least let you know what I ended up with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad that this site has some nice people on it. I was about to come on and post something to the fact that you can all suck it! But, this was only after my original post garnered something of a jerk response (the 3rd or 4th one down). Plus on top of that, others were saying <<<<deleted by admin>>>>

Sorry my reply wasn't all rolled-up in sugar for you. :roll: You won't have to worry about another reply from me, as you just joined my ignore list. Feel free to reciprocate ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom