Yet another pinpointer post

Garrett carrot for me. I had a minor issue after purchase and after a 3 minute call to customer service they just sent me a new one overnight. The PP is 2 years old and going strong.

Once you get the basic gear for metal detecting there's really not much else to spend (as long as you can resist buying a new detector every year). If metal detecting is replacing some other hobby that's more expensive, then that's a pretty good argument.[/QUOTE]

I use to be into RC airplanes, now that ran into some money:laughing:
MD, once the initial outlay is completed, isn't that bad.

Once you get the basic gear for metal detecting there's really not much else to spend (as long as you can resist buying a new detector every year). If metal detecting is replacing some other hobby that's more expensive, then that's a pretty good argument.
I use to be into RC airplanes, now that ran into some money.

MD, once the initial outlay is completed, isn't that bad.

I started with RC planes and went into helicopters. Thats when RC became really expensive! Metal detecting is much cheaper even if you buy the best of everything.

Cliff

Last edited:
My Fisher F2 was purchased as a "kit" and came with one of their cheap pinpointers that look like all of the rest of the Bounty Hunter clones. It was garbage, barely lasting a year with very light use. I bought a fake Chinese carrot from Amazon for under $30 and have had it for almost two months now and not a single issue with it. It's not fully submersible but it gets wet a lot and I toss it around and it just keeps working. Maybe I got lucky but I'm happy with it and my buddy with his Garrett carrot says it's not a bad unit too. He's been detecting ever since they started forging metal in the Iron Age so I trust his judgement.

Last edited:
Thot i saw they had one that looked like orange, etc. Coulda been someone else. But nonetheless thats the general idea for a backup...around mid 20 dollar range. But the Deteknix/Quest regular XP got really solid reviews and very very few reported issues....and it costs just under ninety bucks.

Didn't Quest, pull their e USA support? Not trying to stir the pot here, but confident I had heard that.

I've got a Makro pointer that I've been using a few months. Its been reliable enough, but sometimes, it doesn't seem to have much range/depth. I notice this particularly when the targets turns out to be a small bit of foil or similar.

A friend has a Carrot and that seems to have more range ect, but sometimes its a bit too powerful in that even on its lowest setting, it goes off where ever it is in the hole so its difficult to actually pinpoint some targets with it...

Still, I am thinking a Carrot will be my next buy although not 100% sure yet...

Had one of the 26.00 bounty hunter PP for years. The sensitivity knob was a bit finicky and I eventually wore a hole in the end of the probe that I had to epoxy over a couple times. It was a good PP for the money and I still have it. It never stopped working, just developed some character traits over time. If the 100 PP works better fine, but for 100 buck just buy 5 of the cheaper ones and if it gives you trouble toss it and open a new one :)

Attachments

• asdasd.jpeg
    asdasd.jpeg
    10.2 KB · Views: 540
I’ve been using a 20$ harbor freight stud finder as a pinpointer for 2 years now. It has sensitivity control and that’s all i really need on my pinpointer. I also use it to dig in rocky gravel a fair amount, and at one point it was completely submerged underwater, and survived that. My point is if you don’t need all the bells and whistles, the off-brand will work perfect.

Y'know....maybe THAT is the point. Some folks are very content with "lo-hi tech" while some feel most comfortable with the hand held version of the SDI program. Whole I have a lower tech unit to tide me over while I look at the better ones, I am saving up the dough for that purchase AND hunting some in the meantime. I will never criticize either school of thought. I now think both sides have some valid points. My take away? Hey, Chinese manufacturers get some QC going! American manufacturers you guys could stand a little QC too if you are gonna be charging 5X what the guys from Beijing are. Just my take on it. I am sure someone will say quality costs, but when quite a few are seeking alternatives, maybe that's the market talkin' and they could listen to that. I am on fixed income and like some others I want to be CERTAIN I am dropping that folding green on a winner. Or at least high odds.

I’ve been using a 20$ harbor freight stud finder as a pinpointer for 2 years now. It has sensitivity control and that’s all i really need on my pinpointer. I also use it to dig in rocky gravel a fair amount, and at one point it was completely submerged underwater, and survived that. My point is if you don’t need all the bells and whistles, the off-brand will work perfect.

I still have my harbor freight pinpointed too. still works, still my back up.

only thing is it could be oversensitive in hot weathed.

kept it In my cargo pocket along with a frozen bottle of water.

The carrot is my primary now, works great.

My Fisher F2 was purchased as a "kit" and came with one of their cheap pinpointers that look like all of the rest of the Bounty Hunter clones. It was garbage, barely lasting a year with very light use. I bought a fake Chinese carrot from Amazon for under $30 and have had it for almost two months now and not a single issue with it. It's not fully submersible but it gets wet a lot and I toss it around and it just keeps working. Maybe I got lucky but I'm happy with it and my buddy with his Garrett carrot says it's not a bad unit too. He's been detecting ever since they started forging metal in the Iron Age so I trust his judgement.

I also bought a cheap carrot clone one Amazon for under $30. I've got about 2 months on it and have had no issues and I'm happy with it. Maybe it will last, maybe it won't... I'll see how it does.

had one of the 26.00 bounty hunter pp for years. The sensitivity knob was a bit finicky and i eventually wore a hole in the end of the probe that i had to epoxy over a couple times. It was a good pp for the money and i still have it. It never stopped working, just developed some character traits over time. If the 100 pp works better fine, but for 100 buck just buy 5 of the cheaper ones and if it gives you trouble toss it and open a new one :)

100%.

I have used the heck out of my Garrett At Pro Pointer and it is still going strong after 4 years. I had the standard for a few years and had a problem but Garrett took care of the problem much quicker than I expected, No Charge, And they paid UPS to bring it back to me. Every thing can and sometimes does have problems.

I went from not having a pinpointer to having a carrot knock off and now dont think I could ever go without one. It gets about 3" and with it I can recover a target in seconds rather than minutes without one. I now have the clad to buy a better one but dont see the point in doing so as my $20 pointer is still kicking strong. My only complaint would be it takes.to long to turn on and off.

I have had two of the old Garrett PPs for about eight years?? now. They each went bad about years 3-5 respectively. Garrett did not charge me a dime to replace both of them at different times. So, in my book, it's still the best option for me.

I went from not having a pinpointer to having a carrot knock off and now dont think I could ever go without one. It gets about 3" and with it I can recover a target in seconds rather than minutes without one. I now have the clad to buy a better one but dont see the point in doing so as my $20 pointer is still kicking strong. My only complaint would be it takes.to long to turn on and off.

My knockoff pinpointer picks up a CAN at 3". You got lucky!:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom