Pinpointer, don't die on me! Edited: Bonus Poll

Metal detecto

Elite Member
So I went to the beach on friday, and my pinpointer was going crazy. I though it was just the black sand, so I tucked it in, and hunted the rest without it. I thought it was a no biggy, but when I got back to land, it was still beeping like crazy. Replaced the battery, did a reset, and still, no. Beep beep beep beep beep even though there was nothing. I think some water went in a fried the poor thing. But I was using a GP pointer, which served me well, but maybe I should upgrade? I'm still trying to recover from my scoop purchase, a Garrett Carrot would send me into jail. Any thoughts?

I can NOT hunt without it, it's like hunting without the Lesche digger. Impossible.

Last edited:
One option, check out the pro-find 15. They're pretty reliable and you can pick them up new on the flea for around $75

Clad hunting can be a good way to fund the needed accessories, If you scout out all the sports fields that have a snack shack you'll be amazed at the amount of coins some of them hold.
I get what your saying though, I can't land hunt without my pointer either.
Good luck!

Clad hunting can be a good way to fund the needed accessories, If you scout out all the sports fields that have a snack shack you'll be amazed at the amount of coins some of them hold.
I get what your saying though, I can't land hunt without my pointer either.
Good luck!

You know what I'm talking about... I need to pay my scoop, detector, AND pinpointer with my clad...

I'm with Ron, find that clad and save for a new one, that's how I bought all my stuff years ago..

So I went to the beach on friday, and my pinpointer was going crazy. I though it was just the black sand, so I tucked it in, and hunted the rest without it. I thought it was a no biggy, but when I got back to land, it was still beeping like crazy. Replaced the battery, did a reset, and still, no. Beep beep beep beep beep even though there was nothing. I think some water went in a fried the poor thing. But I was using a GP pointer, which served me well, but maybe I should upgrade? I'm still trying to recover from my scoop purchase, a Garrett Carrot would send me into jail. Any thoughts?

I can NOT hunt without it, it's like hunting without the Lesche digger. Impossible.

You don't need a pin pointer at the beach that is what a big scoop is for :yes:

You can get a Garrett ProPointer II for less money than the Garrett Carrot.

this... I used a PP II for years with the speaker taped over with electrical tape... it was in mud, water and where ever... never failed me.. when you hear the siren it's time for a battery change. most of us carry a spare 9v.. I used to tape one under my arm cuff...

A Garrett Carrot is in the box. You are welcome. Remember I said a few small surprises

Scuba... the phrase it takes a village is small compared to your generosity... I don't know what else to say... not too many go out of their way at their cost for others these days... I am a half broken guy with many talents.. you let me know if there is anything I can ever do for you...

What. If you just got me a bride I'll be set for life, scuba. I demand that the dictionary makes a word to describe someone as generous as him. Who's with me?

Scube-genourous-

Adjective. To describe a very kind and generous action (optionally) from a person that scuba dives.

Example: Josh received a very Scube-generous gift from Scuba.

Truly, Very, grateful.

What. If you just got me a bride I'll be set for life, scuba. I demand that the dictionary makes a word to describe someone as generous as him. Who's with me?

Scube-genourous-

Adjective. To describe a very kind and generous action (optionally) from a person that scuba dives.

Example: Josh received a very Scube-generous gift from Scuba.

Truly, Very, grateful.

How about an acronym for S.C.U.B.A. ?

Sincere
Cool
Underwater
Benevolent
Altruist

this... I used a PP II for years with the speaker taped over with electrical tape... it was in mud, water and where ever... never failed me.. when you hear the siren it's time for a battery change. most of us carry a spare 9v.. I used to tape one under my arm cuff...

That's a good plan...much better than when I just tossed a spare 9v in my jeans pocket...forgetting about the half dozen .22LR rounds still in there from earlier in the day.:no:

I'm not familiar with the model you're using, but my Nokta has replaceable cover-sleeves. Is it possible a piece or flake of something you dug up got stuck in some little cranny on your pointer and is perpetually making it sing?

I'm not familiar with the model you're using, but my Nokta has replaceable cover-sleeves. Is it possible a piece or flake of something you dug up got stuck in some little cranny on your pointer and is perpetually making it sing?

I'm actually using an off-brand pinpointer, and it can't detect a really tiny piece of metal. Thanks for the suggestion though. It's under warranty, so I just need to hear back from the company.

Try putting the pinpointer in a zip-lock bag filled with rice. Oftentimes the rice will draw out all the moisture and the electronic whatever will work again.

Back
Top Bottom