Detector for my son

pryan67

Forum Supporter
So I'm thinking of getting my son a detector. He's been showing SOME interest in detecting with me, but last time we went out the AT Pro was chatty, so he didn't enjoy it too much.

We're also going on a beach vacation soon, and he'll likely want to detect with me there.

I have an Nox 800, so I'm thinking of the 600 for him, since I know the machine fairly well....but I'm open to suggestions. It would have to be waterproof and handle salt water and salty sand.

I was going to say any vanquish then remembered waterproof so the nox 600.

Last edited:
I'm not a parent, but maybe a vanquish? or are you hunting saltwater beaches? If I had a kid, I'll start with a vanquish 540 maybe, then if he (or she) likes the hobby a lot, get them a better detector on their Bday. Just my 2% of a dollar. (get it? 2 cents?)

Edit: Sorry, I didn't read it all the way through, if you need waterproof maybe a simplex will be ok. Just don't touch the wet sand, and boom, you got a good starter detector. My edited 2% of a dollar.

I forgot to mention...he's 15.

Waterproof isn't NECESSARY, so I could go with the Vanquish....

Oh, in that case, YES on vanquish. Just get a swimsuit and lift the detector above your waist when a wave comes crashing.

Hope this helps!

Josh

Oh, in that case, YES on vanquish. Just get a swimsuit and lift the detector above your waist when a wave comes crashing.

Hope this helps!

Josh

Thanks...I'm thinking the Vanquish....I love the Nox I have, but even a 600 is a bit pricey to try out....although if I got a 600 I'd have a backup detector for myself

Knowing the machine will help you help him. Backup machine is a good thought too if you got the 600. Simplex handle salt (?) it’s cheaper than a 600....

I recently started the metal detecting hobby about 4 months ago. I started with the Fisher F22 but recently bought the Minelab Vanquish pro pack. I absolutely love the Minelab Vanquish. I can vouch that it goes deep

so the Vanquish 540 is 369, the pro-pack (two coils and the wireless headphones) is 500.

The 600 is 650 (all prices are MSRP).

I'm leaning towards a used 600....I should be able to get one for 500 or so, which would be the same as the 540 pro-pack...

Of course, I'm sure I can find a 540 used too, which would save money LOL

decisions, decisions, decisions.

We also may be bringing a friend of his on vacation with us, so I'd still have to bring the AT Pro, so all three of us can detect at the same time...but whoever uses the AT Pro will have to stay in the dry sand, or cut the sensitivity down.

Equinox 600 would be my first choice. But the vanquish 440 or 540 are good options too. In fact, if my kid was interested, it would be a 440. Its cheap enough that if they give up, its not a huge loss.

Equinox 600 would be my first choice. But the vanquish 440 or 540 are good options too. In fact, if my kid was interested, it would be a 440. Its cheap enough that if they give up, its not a huge loss.

Thanks....

I found a decent price for the 600. Still deciding though....

Vanquish 440 has everything a newbie needs except for wireless for $279. Makes a great back-up and is very easy to use. The 540 (not the Pro Pack) has built in Bluetooth just like the Equinox. It also has a backlight, iron bias low and high, iron audio adjustment and some customization of search modes for $369. Both have very similar tones, tone breaks and VDIs like the Equinox. I have both and I have trained newbies on both the Vanquish and Equinox. It takes 5 minutes to learn how to use the Vanquish 440 and hunt. It takes way more than that to learn how to use the Equinox 600. Ergonomics are great on the Vanquish and they are very quiet detectors. The Equinox is much more high gain especially on little stuff so the dig or not dig decision is harder to make.

So far the suggestions have been good, just make sure that the new machine does not have the word (ace) in its nomenclature.

The Simplex didn't seem to get much good said about it. I don't own one but I know someone who does own the Simplex+ bundle ($339) and he really likes it. He is a 40 year veteran in metal detecting also. The $339 bundle is loaded with stuff including the wireless HPs.

I don't think I would put out the money on the Equinox since you said this about your son, "He's been showing SOME interest in detecting" but it does make good sense about you having a backup for yourself if he isn't genuine about the desire to detect. Fifteen is an age of mind-changing.

As I said, I don't own the Simplex nor any Notka, but there's really a lot of bang for the buck at $339 with all its items in the bundle. Good luck either way you go.

Thanks....for that price I'd consider the 540 AND 600 :) Just to learn another machine.

:cool3:

I just got the 340 for my son and the 540 is for me to try out. I may keep it or just get the Equinox 600, we shall see.

Vanquish 440 has everything a newbie needs except for wireless for $279. Makes a great back-up and is very easy to use. The 540 (not the Pro Pack) has built in Bluetooth just like the Equinox. It also has a backlight, iron bias low and high, iron audio adjustment and some customization of search modes for $369. Both have very similar tones, tone breaks and VDIs like the Equinox. I have both and I have trained newbies on both the Vanquish and Equinox. It takes 5 minutes to learn how to use the Vanquish 440 and hunt. It takes way more than that to learn how to use the Equinox 600. Ergonomics are great on the Vanquish and they are very quiet detectors. The Equinox is much more high gain especially on little stuff so the dig or not dig decision is harder to make.

Agreed! Very good.

Back
Top Bottom