• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Hunted a Memphis park

longbow62

Forum Supporter
So last week my buddy Jeff sends me this link: https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2021...-course-unearths-hidden-items-buried-decades/

So we went today knowing there would probably be other people detecting. I told my buddy I'm just going for the ride because I doubt we find anything. When we got there it was probably around 8:30 and someone was already detecting. It was a young guy with an Etrac. He said he didn't find any silver.

My buddy Jeff got the first silver a Merc within the first 20 minutes. My first find was a Wheat then a little later got a deep clad quarter I just knew was going to be silver but wasn't. A little later a had a sweet deep dime single and dug a 1907 Barber dime which was a nice surprise. My next deep coin about 100ft. away was another 1907 Barber dime. I was starting to think wow we are going to kill it. I got another Wheat or two, but soon realized coin signals were actually pretty scarce. As the morning wore on more people started to show up with detectors. We met some nice people detecting. A couple of guys we talked to had found two three ringers and one found a Barber dime.

In all there was like 8-10 people detecting throughout the day. My buddy ran and got us something to eat around noon and I kept hunting but found nothing before he got back. We ate in truck then got back at it. Right off the bat I got a solid 25 shallow signal and was thinking Memorial, but when I popped it out it was a Merc. It must have been on edge or had something close to it pulling down the I.D.. As I said coin signals turned out to be pretty scarce. I bet I didn't dig more than 10-12 coins in 6 hours of looking. I was really lucky to get on the three silver dimes I dug.

We never saw the guy in the news report. I am surprised the guy did not keep it quite. I have no clue what all he found or silver totals might have been. I know I would have liked to have been the first person out there detecting. I wonder if Beephead ever got out there?

Attachments

• 20210410_170821_resized.jpg
    20210410_170821_resized.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 821
  • 20210410_095457_resized.jpg
    20210410_095457_resized.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 793
  • 20210410_143204_resized.jpg
    20210410_143204_resized.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 800
Great link. Thanx for sharing. Yup, when they rip turf off of a park, school lawn or golf course (any old-town tractor work scrapes) it can sometimes be real fun !

Great link. Thanx for sharing. Yup, when they rip turf off of a park, school lawn or golf course (any old-town tractor work scrapes) it can sometimes be real fun !

Yes and it becomes a free for all! That's the most people I ever saw detecting at one time. I sure would like to know how many silvers the guy on the news found.

Yes and it becomes a free for all! ....

There was a park in San Francisco, that dated back to the 1880s, that had a large section of turf (about 1/4 of the park) to make way for artificial turf field installation. They took off the *perfect* 6 to 8" over large swaths of what had previously been junky blighted turf. And it was an md'ing orgy, as you can imagine.

We all kept our tallies, and did a final calculation: About 250 silver coins between 8 or so of us, over the course of a couple of weeks. It was crazy fun !

Wow, congrats on those finds !!!!! :thumbsup:

Hey, I'd be thrilled with that selection of coins in one hunt and look at the hours it took as "free exercise" :lol:

That's the things we'd all like to see, turf tear ups, and also sidewalk or road tear ups, a detectorist's dream :lol:

Wow, congrats on those finds !!!!! :thumbsup:

Hey, I'd be thrilled with that selection of coins in one hunt and look at the hours it took as "free exercise" :lol:

That's the things we'd all like to see, turf tear ups, and also sidewalk or road tear ups, a detectorist's dream :lol:

Holy carp some nice dimes there Long. Congrats!

Thanks we were probably a little late to the party, but I did better than I originally thought I would.

Dang, I would be pissed about that news article haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we had a fun day! Longbow62, don't forget my first signal i dug was a 50 centavos with a jewelry bezel. it was huge and i thought the whole day was going to be filled with suprises. it turned off pretty much. the guy we spoke with, david, found a neat old Memphis bus transit token, good for one fare.

i hope others see this post and let us know what else they found. this will revert back to a golf course soon and be gone again for our lifetimes.

Dang, I would be pissed about that news article haha

I actually think he must have called to have them do a report on it.

we had a fun day! Longbow62, don't forget my first signal i dug was a 50 centavos with a jewelry bezel. it was huge and i thought the whole day was going to be filled with suprises. it turned off pretty much. the guy we spoke with, david, found a neat old Memphis bus transit token, good for one fare.

i hope others see this post and let us know what else they found. this will revert back to a golf course soon and be gone again for our lifetimes.

One of our many fun hunts together! Good times as always whether we kill it or we come home empty handed.

Cool story & nice dimes ! Congrats !

Thank you!

I actually think he must have called to have them do a report on it.

One of our many fun hunts together! Good times as always whether we kill it or we come home empty handed.

Thank you!

Ya maybe he wanted some hunting partners? He wouldnt do an interview if he didnt want the attention. If that was the case, pretty cool he gave people the opportunity. I cant even get outta the WWII era of coins for the life of me in over a year of hunting most weekends, so I would shake his hand for a barber anything.

Edit: Hell, I just realized I will be stopping in Memphis on my way to Nashville to meet up with an old friend to attend Wheeler Walker Jr’s Super Spreader event all next weekend. Maybe I should bring the tector and have a real shot at a Barber.

Last edited:
Wait, he found all that with an AT MAX ? No way. he he he

Good on you for finding the three silvers. Congrats, think I would hit it a few more times.

Very cool. The guy in the video is in our FB Metal Detecting Tennessee group and he has been doing well there. I would have loved a shot at that place. I grew up in Memphis and drove past that park many, many times.

I could not figure the place out. I was hearing quite a bit of iron in places and seeing busted brick and what looked like slate shingles. There was some older looking glass here and there. I saw quite a bit of broken plates but it didn't look real old. I think there had been some structures there maybe at one time. I need to find an old map.

So last week my buddy Jeff sends me this link: https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2021...-course-unearths-hidden-items-buried-decades/

So we went today knowing there would probably be other people detecting. I told my buddy I'm just going for the ride because I doubt we find anything. When we got there it was probably around 8:30 and someone was already detecting. It was a young guy with an Etrac. He said he didn't find any silver.

My buddy Jeff got the first silver a Merc within the first 20 minutes. My first find was a Wheat then a little later got a deep clad quarter I just knew was going to be silver but wasn't. A little later a had a sweet deep dime single and dug a 1907 Barber dime which was a nice surprise. My next deep coin about 100ft. away was another 1907 Barber dime. I was starting to think wow we are going to kill it. I got another Wheat or two, but soon realized coin signals were actually pretty scarce. As the morning wore on more people started to show up with detectors. We met some nice people detecting. A couple of guys we talked to had found two three ringers and one found a Barber dime.

In all there was like 8-10 people detecting throughout the day. My buddy ran and got us something to eat around noon and I kept hunting but found nothing before he got back. We ate in truck then got back at it. Right off the bat I got a solid 25 shallow signal and was thinking Memorial, but when I popped it out it was a Merc. It must have been on edge or had something close to it pulling down the I.D.. As I said coin signals turned out to be pretty scarce. I bet I didn't dig more than 10-12 coins in 6 hours of looking. I was really lucky to get on the three silver dimes I dug.

We never saw the guy in the news report. I am surprised the guy did not keep it quite. I have no clue what all he found or silver totals might have been. I know I would have liked to have been the first person out there detecting. I wonder if Beephead ever got out there?

Just a decade ago , if this was to happen at that park you would probably be one of VERY FEW people if any to dig it.... I blame all this on youtube..
Getting decent places to dig has become increasingly hard to find...i think youtube is the main reason digging is becoming more and more fruitless... I cant see there being anywhere good to hunt in just a few more yrs (at most) besides door knocking... there was a time someone could walk 1 hour to a cellar hole and not see it has been cleaned out and holes EVERYWHERE ...I cant imagine people who start this hobby in 1 more decade are gonna find anything old consistently, and it saddens me ....im not a big clad hunter but theres no way around the fact that this hobby gets worse with time ...of course you can dig a silver rosie at any old park , but even that can take 100 hours now adays

When the good stuff is gone ...ITS GONE,!!
Unless your a dedicated beach hunter...even door knocking is getting thin as its not unusual to hear "sure you can dig my yard, but its been hunted 1000 times by 20 different people" ....uuuuugh​

Just a decade ago , if this was to happen at that park you would probably be one of VERY FEW people if any to dig it.......​

Where I'm at, very few, if any md'rs ever descend on an old-town demolition site. Either they are 1) Just un-aware of the potential for goodies at such sites, or 2) Weren't aware it was going on, or the biggest issue: 3) They're afraid of orange ribbon tape/cones and/or fences.

But for me , I've taken it to the "next level" : I've even subscribed to the Builders Exchange Network ($400-ish per year), to get daily email news alerts to every single public works bids going on , in the entire state. And scout the daily email for anything that hints of old-town sidewalk tearouts, park scrapes, etc....

Back
Top Bottom