Cross of the legion of honor?

Bleeohio

Is what it says on it. Dug it in a plowed field and it was in a ball. After boiling it in water till it got pretty hot, I managed to slowly fold it out. Some sort of military pin? I believe French?

Attachments

• IMG_20210330_183340.jpg
    IMG_20210330_183340.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 586
I believe its this. The Legion of Honour is the highest French order of merit, both military and civil. Established in 1802 by Napoleon Bonaparte, it has been retained by all later French governments and régimes.

I found the same one also in ohio

Is what it says on it. Dug it in a plowed field and it was in a ball. After boiling it in water till it got pretty hot, I managed to slowly fold it out. Some sort of military pin? I believe French?

I found one just like this yesterday

Generally, where did you find it?

I found one just like this yesterday

Really!?! :shock: Where abouts did yours turn up?

Thanks to both of you for sharing!

Boiling in water did absolutely nothing to make it easy to bend out. Stamped brass is worked cold, only iron is really worked hot. Brass and other non ferrous metals including silver can be annealed by heating to a dull red hot then cooling to room temperature to soften the metal for bending but 212 degrees does nothing to it. If one tries to bend non ferrous metals while red hot the item just breaks.

This "badge" features the five armed "asterisk" Maltese Cross emblem with the crown and a central eagle. This eagle was a feature of the "late empire", Emperor Napoleon III, and may therefore date to his reign, 2 December 1852 – 4 September 1870. I believe the decoration could be awarded to foreigners as well as Frenchmen. I believe General George Patton was at least twice awarded the "Legion of Honour".

Wow, a lot of good information here. I found this in a plowed field where a homestead sat at one time. No idea of who may have lived there. In nw Ohio. I've found a lot of sash buckles as I call them, over the years and some are bent up after years of being under the plow. I've tried different ways to straighten some up and they usually end up snapping.
I really didn't know what was on this one as it was rolled up pretty good. Dropped it in some boiling water and slowly bent it out. Maybe some are made of more of a bronze or brass? Thanks for all the information.

Wow, a lot of good information here. I found this in a plowed field where a homestead sat at one time. No idea of who may have lived there. In nw Ohio. I've found a lot of sash buckles as I call them, over the years and some are bent up after years of being under the plow. I've tried different ways to straighten some up and they usually end up snapping.
I really didn't know what was on this one as it was rolled up pretty good. Dropped it in some boiling water and slowly bent it out. Maybe some are made of more of a bronze or brass? Thanks for all the information.

48da43d6cbdbe07149ce85d82cb54ef4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom