1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or more Tone ID preference. ???

Monte

"In Memory of"
I stopped at '5-Tone' because, for me, that's the limit. I don't care for the '7-Tone' of the M6 and MXT Pro, or '8-Tone' or '20-Tone' on the MX-7 or MX Sport, and I have absolutely no desire to use the so-called '99-Tone' or '50-Tone' 'Full-Tones' functions on a lot of different models. I seldom like a '4-Tone' audio, either, except on a couple of models and only on rare occasion.

I do like a '1-Tone' audio on models like my Tesoro's that reject most ferrous-range targets at minimum Discrimination (ED-120), or something like an M6 or F5 when I am also using a Disc. setting at the Ferrous / Non-Ferrous rejection point. I am satisfied with the designed-in '5-Tone' audio ID of the Garrett Apex and Minelab Vanquish 540, and otherwise like the '2-Tone' and '3-Tone' audio options of my FORS CoRe, FORS Relic and Simplex + devices and F5.

I spent about twenty-one years with Single-Tone before I got Two-Tones in April of '86, and even that was for non-ferrous target range Discrimination. No ferrous-range acceptance. and I still favored a single-tone most of the time. It's really only been the past decade that I have enjoyed using a '2-Tone' audio with the low-tone for Iron audio, and then I like it to be a raw or natural audio with or without VCO enhancement. Also during this last decade I like a '3' or '5' Tone 'processed' audio for working a lot of trashy environments.

Adapting to a processed '3' or '5' Tone audio is also dependent on the audio tone pitch they use that works with my impaired hearing, and that also carries over the the headphones I use that also lets me hear a good audio report. In the end, when it comes for me to select a detector for my wants and needs, it is the audio response and audio quality that I appreciate and rely on the most. Any visual display is just an 'extra' that I might glance at from time-to-time. Audio is what really matters.

The only detector I have used and enjoyed for over a quarter-century that features a multiple-Tone ID is the XLT. I can turn the Tone ID 'Off' if desired, but most of the time it is on for the locations I am most comfortable working the XLT with either a 6½" Concentric coil, if it's a bit trashy, or an 8" Concentric coil for common grassy parks, yards and the like.

I've tried all the other multi-tone offerings but, to me, they are just too much noise and confusion. It's interesting how each of us have our different likes and dislikes about detector design and features, but when it comes to the audio Tone ID design, I definitely prefer '3' or '5' tones for everyday trashy conditions, '2' tones if I am mainly working more open area with less trash, or perhaps only encountering Iron Nails most of the time.

Anyone else have a liking for Fewer-Tones vs Many-Tones?

Monte

Monte, just scratching the surface with 5 years in the hobby compared to your 5 decades. I suffer from high frequency hearing loss and often wondered if I was missing some signals. I used Grey Ghost, then Killer Bs with my Etrac and found my self using two tone most of the time. I have only used several machines and now since early 18 have used the Equinox 800. I like 5 tone or maybe just become accustomed to it. 50 tone is just too busy IMO. And 2 tone doesn't seem the same as it was on the Etrac. I like being able to set bin volumes so in 5 tone I set my iron volume low and keep all metal engaged, 11-13 at 25 ,14-17 on 15, 18-24 at 20, 25-40 at 25. For me this works. The Minelab Ml 80s are a bit tight on my head but seem to do a decent job. Good topic, Mark

Monte, I'm a 3-5 guy. 50 on the Nox is not necessary imo. I used 50 for a couple of days at the beach last year just to find out if would be advantageous. It wasn't. In fact for jewelry hunting, more tones complicates things.

I use 3h or 4h on my 75. I do so to alert me to nickels with a high tone.

3 or 4 on my Makro.

The 350 has three tones and I like it. FTR, I still prefer Garrett tones over other makers with Fisher a close second.

Monte, I love the three tones and extra scratches and blips and such on my AT pro!
I also like the 5 tones on my Nox 800
50 tones is too much.
My F70 had a lot of tones/stuff going on too, I know now I could have limited it's tones but I sold it before I gave it much of a chance.:no:

Last edited:
For me, it depends on the detector. I too started out using single tone machines many moons ago. That’s what I was used to so I stuck with it for a long time. Fast forward a couple of decades and finally a detector turned me on to using multi tones. The Etrac. I absolutely loved the high pitched silver warble sound with threshold pitch and variability stretched out. I still set up my CTX in 50 tones to mimic those sweet sounds.

I also like to use full tones on my Deus, even though it took a while for me to get comfortable with and the tones aren’t nearly as pleasing to the ear as FBS. I feel like full tones does give some extra information about the target.

I run my Equinox in 5 tones. On that detector 50 tones is just too busy for my ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends , I used single tone for many years. Tesoro was a favorite of mine for many years. If the ORX had 5 tones I'd use it more. I don't hear as good as used to and I don't feel the digital detectors don't give the details in the tone like in yesteryear. Some kind of do like XP.. I've always been good at being able to listen to a tone and hear roundness, shapes, iron buzz, size etc. For me it is harder to do that today.

I got my first multi-tone detector back in the 80's. It was a Teknetic 8500B. (Not the current Tek 8500) I don't know how many tones it had but i'm sure that it was more than any today. In fact it sounded like a circus calliope and it about drove me nuts. I was almost ready to sell the detector when all of the sudden the tones made sense. It became my favorite detector and with the Tek 9000B which had the same tones, I found over 200 silver coins with the first year I had them. I still have them and will never sell them.

Back
Top Bottom