First Snow Hunt With The APEX, And It Passed The Freezing Cold Test.

John-Edmonton

Elite Member
Went to a toboggan hill, and detected for two hours. In the past, using rechargeable NiMH batteries required me to attach a hot pack on the electronics to prevent the batteries from discharging from the cold. Not so with the APEX. I started with 4/4 bars battery indicator, and after 2 hours in cold temperatures, I still ended with 4/4 bars. Plus, I already had some previous time on this detector for about an hour, without recharging it.

Attachments

• nov20 (2).jpg
    nov20 (2).jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 287
Apex info

Nice to hear more info on apex I live 6 months in mo and 6 months ca near ocean so I detect in different climates

Garrett Atpro, Seahunter Mk2, Ace 300, Apex

John-Edmonton: said:
Went to a toboggan hill, and detected for two hours. In the past, using rechargeable NiMH batteries required me to attach a hot pack on the electronics to prevent the batteries from discharging from the cold. Not so with the APEX. I started with 4/4 bars battery indicator, and after 2 hours in cold temperatures, I still ended with 4/4 bars. Plus, I already had some previous time on this detector for about an hour, without recharging it.
John,

Good to hear. When I was younger and able I used to hunt a lot of sledding & tubing hills when I lived in Utah, including one we used back when I was in 2nd grade (1956) that was a make-shift 'neighborhood run' that I'm sure most of the new-to-the-hobby Coin Hunters didn't know about. The regular local places got hit, but they also saw a lot of use and were generally productive. Especially if you could get there first thing Monday morning.

It's warmed up to 36° F by 2 PM here, and headed for 17° tonight. Warmer than the 14° last night, but this achy, aged body can't tolerate the cold like I used to. But I did get out to try and locate and recover some of my planted test targets this past weekend and it was cold.

I was going to post a comment, as you just didn't about how the Apex seems to handle the colder temperate rs seasonally well and I didn't have any issues with battery power, nor lose much, but it was maybe an hour or so in the cold weather so not the toughest test. But with a lot of indoor testing and sampling and comparisons this past couple of weeks, the Apex already had some run-time on it and now I'm only down 1 bar.

It looks like Friday we might get close to 38°-40° and mostly sunny and I'm going to try and work a double vacant lot they are blading a little more. Ground is frozen but I'm hoping their grader activity might loosen some of it up at least a little. Nothing has been deep and it's too frozen to dig deep anyway, but the Apex & I are going to try an get some hunt-time in before we get a shot of snow that evening.

No sledding spots here in the high desert, and no warmth, either, this time of year. This cabin fever season sure makes me think more about moving.

Monte

The early bird got the Looney! Good going John, My Apex sniffed out another 14k mans wedding band 2 weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom