Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > What's the Value?

Old 11-05-2020, 11:31 PM
Supporter

Default What about a no-date stander?

So I dug a Standing Liberty quarter today...
It has no date, so I look online to see what I can figure out. It has the three stars below the flying eagle on the reverse, so it is a Type 2. This eliminates 1916, leaving 1917 to 1930. The worn off date area is the raised type; not the recessed type. According to one site, they changed that in 1925, so I can narrow my range to 1917 - 1925. My quarter also has a D mint mark. So, looking at the years they minted these quarters in Denver, my possible years are 1917D, 1918D, 1919D, 1920D, or 1924D.
This brings me to the value question: All of these 5 dates, in "fine" to "very fine" condition, are fairly valuable.(from maybe $60 to over $100) So if I can narrow it down to one of these 5, but can't get a year off it, is the value still in the same ballpark, or does it drop right down to the standard 6 or 8 bucks?
My microscopic inspection has me thinking 1924, but not certain.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2020, 07:04 AM
Supporter

Personally, I’d say melt value, but if you were to toss it on eBay anything’s possible.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-06-2020, 08:18 AM
Elite Member

Yea I agree with the post above. The auction site might get you a little over melt, but after shipping, listing fees, etc, you will probably break close to even. A 1924 D standing Liberty quarter goes for around $77 in average condition, so you never know, you could make a quick 20$. But if it were me, it would take a spot in the collection. A great find, and one of my personal favorite coins of all time. Congrats!

☆Oldest Coin FTY:1860 IHP☆

Old 11-06-2020, 10:17 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
Personally, I’d say melt value, but if you were to toss it on eBay anything’s possible.
Originally Posted by cellrdwellr View post
Yea I agree with the post above. The auction site might get you a little over melt, but after shipping, listing fees, etc, you will probably break close to even. A 1924 D standing Liberty quarter goes for around $77 in average condition, so you never know, you could make a quick 20$. But if it were me, it would take a spot in the collection. A great find, and one of my personal favorite coins of all time. Congrats!
Thanks guys. It stays in my collection. I was just hoping my collection just got a nice bump in value.
Didn't want to hear that 4-letter word: "melt", but this is the kind of question I asked...

Old 11-06-2020, 10:29 AM
Supporter

Just a side note that SLQ’s are available online from a major vendor for $6.75 ea., $2 per coin over melt.

The add says they are dated coins, might be a good way to add to an album or a collection in general.

Old 11-06-2020, 12:56 PM
Elite Member

I found a Stander with the date worn off just like yours, but not quite as good in stars. I took silver acid solution, put a big drop on the date area, and the date popped. It will blemish the spot with a gray hue, but getting the date was a must for my curiosity. JM2C

Old 11-06-2020, 05:28 PM
Elite Member

Unfortunately, your coin is only worth scrap value. Still a nice find. Some years back I dug a dateless SLQ which was a type 1......no stars under the eagle and it has no value other then scrap. If your coin had the date on it, the value would still be low because it's nowhere near fine or very fine. The rims are worn down into the letters and the grade would in reality be AG-Good.

Last edited by diggin4clad; 11-06-2020 at 06:19 PM.

Old 11-06-2020, 11:23 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
Just a side note that SLQ’s are available online from a major vendor for $6.75 ea., $2 per coin over melt.

The add says they are dated coins, might be a good way to add to an album or a collection in general.
Sounds like a fair deal, but I get mine the hard way.

Originally Posted by Martin_V3i View post
I found a Stander with the date worn off just like yours, but not quite as good in stars. I took silver acid solution, put a big drop on the date area, and the date popped. It will blemish the spot with a gray hue, but getting the date was a must for my curiosity. JM2C
I have heard of this before, but I guess I'd rather not. I'm OK with not knowing. Maybe the next one will have a clear key date.

Originally Posted by diggin4clad View post
Unfortunately, your coin is only worth scrap value. Still a nice find. Some years back I dug a dateless SLQ which was a type 1......no stars under the eagle and it has no value other then scrap. If your coin had the date on it, the value would still be low because it's nowhere near fine or very fine. The rims are worn down into the letters and the grade would in reality be AG-Good.
Ugh. "scrap" sounds even worse than "melt".
I admit I have never mastered the grading of coins. Just winging it. I have seen enough examples to get the impression that anything more than dead slick will grade as "fine".