Garden trowel as digging tool

TheHound

Hello, I'm not an expert and not even an amateur yet, so I would like to ask if a garden trowel is suitable for digging, or if you definitely need a shovel from a specialized store. Just for now, as far as I understand, the only difference is that the last one is made of hardened stainless steel, so, particularly there's no much of difference. Upd. Why am I asking, I was recently buying some equipment from the lists https://www.backyardstyle.com/best-garden-trowel/, https://www.backyardstyle.com/best-garden-fork/, so thought would be okay to use any of trowels from the list, but as I see that's not the right choice

Last edited:
If you're anything like me, a garden trowel will last one hunt. Invest in a nice digging tool. You won't regret it.

I've never used a shovel. Well, once, for a really deep target. The trowel is fine, until it breaks. Probably sooner than later.

I shopped around and found a couple better built trowels that looked up to surviving a while. Still using one of them. Ames 5-in-1 I think it is called.

There should be tons of threads on here about digging tools, low priced ones and "the best ones." Some use "garden knives" too. Search away!

I think that most of us started off with the family garden trowel and wore it out. By then most of us gained a group of friends like we have here on this forum which directed most of us to the next step. There are several different models available and with a wide range of prices. You will quickly find that there is one maker that has gained the respect of many and not to give a pitch in that direction I will let you do the research to find out which maker best fits your needs.

I've never used a shovel. Well, once, for a really deep target. The trowel is fine, until it breaks. Probably sooner than later.

I shopped around and found a couple better built trowels that looked up to surviving a while. Still using one of them. Ames 5-in-1 I think it is called.

There should be tons of threads on here about digging tools, low priced ones and "the best ones." Some use "garden knives" too. Search away!
I use one very similar to this one. Mine is a True Temper I believe but it is just like this. It has worked well for me but it will depend on the soil you are digging in.

This picture is the Ames.
36f08e5d5370499ad6608c13c9e47adb.jpg

Cliff

I carry a White’s digger most of the time but I also have a very lightweight garden trowel I bring along for clearing loose dirt from the hole.

When I am clad hunting in parks I carry a coin pick and the small trowel just in case I need to cut a very shallow plug and it works just fine. No need to carry a full sized digger for that and it draws a little less attention.

You can get away with most anything as a digging tool as you learn this hobby. I started with a Prospectors Choice digger off Amazon for about $10. It lasted a full year and many hundreds of hours. I upgraded to a Lesche earlier this year and the Lesche is a nice tool but I still have the Prospectors Choice digger, no cracks or breaks. A quality pinpointer is much more important than a quality digger IMHO.

I use one very similar to this one. Mine is a True Temper I believe but it is just like this. It has worked well for me but it will depend on the soil you are digging in.

This picture is the Ames.
36f08e5d5370499ad6608c13c9e47adb.jpg

Cliff

I have that one. I like it for parks/turf cause its low profile and agree that it works well. Especially for the price.

I use a lesche digging tool. I view shovels as a no no in places like parks and private yards they give the public the wrong impression of what one is doing. The garden trowel might last a few plugs. they are not made strong enough to withstand the use we put them to.

The Ames pictured in the previous posts is just like the one I have and recommended for an inexpensive choice. I guessed wrong with the name it's called a 7-in-1 or a planters pal.

I also have a Fiskars Big grip garden knife, which I do NOT recommend. It looks strong but seems to be cheap pot metal -- many have been quickly broken by folks not even mistreating them. I'll find a pic...

Attachments

• s-l300 - Copy.jpg
    s-l300 - Copy.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 547
I highly recommend the Wilcox 202 bulb digger. I started detecting in 2008, and have dug over 25000 coins, and of course countless trash and relics, and am only on my third one.

The only problems I've ever had is the leather strap will come off eventually (which isn't a big deal), and it will eventually get shorter and duller (and we have pretty rocky soil around here).

I use this for parks and lawns, and the gravedigger shovel for fields. It is much cheaper than the Lesche, and I personally prefer it.

Attachments

• wilcox.jpg
    wilcox.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 533
The Ames pictured in the previous posts is just like the one I have and recommended for an inexpensive choice. I guessed wrong with the name it's called a 7-in-1 or a planters pal.

I also have a Fiskars Big grip garden knife, which I do NOT recommend. It looks strong but seems to be cheap pot metal -- many have been quickly broken by folks not even mistreating them. I'll find a pic...
Thanks, googled for it. Is that the one from this thread, right? Planters buddy
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=16303

Yes, in that thread, it's the blue handled True Temper 7-in-1 Planter's Buddy.

Same thing comes in at least one more brand (Ames) and a variety of handle colors, and I think there's a stainless steel bladed version, as well. Mine's chromed and starting to wear off on the leading edges. I expect they're all similar durability.

I highly recommend the Wilcox 202 bulb digger. I started detecting in 2008, and have dug over 25000 coins, and of course countless trash and relics, and am only on my third one.

The only problems I've ever had is the leather strap will come off eventually (which isn't a big deal), and it will eventually get shorter and duller (and we have pretty rocky soil around here).

I use this for parks and lawns, and the gravedigger shovel for fields. It is much cheaper than the Lesche, and I personally prefer it.

randy,

I've seen many good reviews of the wilcox through the years. Seems like a solid digger option. Have you used any other models than the 202?

Yes, in that thread, it's the blue handled True Temper 7-in-1 Planter's Buddy.

Same thing comes in at least one more brand (Ames) and a variety of handle colors, and I think there's a stainless steel bladed version, as well. Mine's chromed and starting to wear off on the leading edges. I expect they're all similar durability.

So I forgot how far I went down this road a few years ago...

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=180878&highlight=ames

randy,

I've seen many good reviews of the wilcox through the years. Seems like a solid digger option. Have you used any other models than the 202?

I have two but don't know the numbers. Their smallest one, it's only 1 14" wide and around 8" long. I believe it's ten times better than a screwdriver and leaves no more mess. And one like Randy's but a little smaller, around 2 1/2" wide. My next bigger digger is the Whites. It digs deeper faster but doesn't do as well in rocky ground. The more pointed they are the better they work in rocky areas. In very rocky areas I use https://www.amazon.com/SE-GP3-SS30DT-Prospectors-Choice-Serrated/dp/B01KZAHR78 These don't work near as well in just dirt. Just like boats, one can't be great in all situations.

Wilcox trowel

I use the Wilcox 22 in trowel for the leverage and it also helps a old man get off the ground. Works great for both.

As a next step, the Black Ada tools from England are well worth the $. One is under 10 euro. They also have all SS tools and everything is top notch. Will post details soon.

Back
Top Bottom