Equinox coil ear stiffener and repair

Bought this in April of 2019. Both ears were broken off. Put this away on Sunday and all was fine. Just noticed today that it was hanging off.

I have a Garrett that I have had for years. A while back one of the ears broke on the coil and it came apart. Looking closer it appeared that the other ear had never been glued in the first place.

Last edited:
If your detector is still under warranty it covered.
Surprisingly the ear protector only help a little.
THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR NOX IF YOU CARE ABOUT IT.
If anyone looks at their coil ears now without touching anything you can see the ears bending inward. That is close to the breaking point.
If you make and place washers/spacers behind the existing rubber teardrop in the shaft.
Make the washers out of a common gallon milk jug.
Place one behind each original washer.
The washers are a perfect thickness.
My ears barely bend before the become lightly snug.
YOUR FREND; Doug

Thankfully it was still under warranty.

Just got a brand new coil today from Minelab. Whole process took about 10 days. Even with the new one I think I'm going to take your advice Doug with the milk jug washers. Thanks for the reply.
Steve

Don’t pay $15, it’s like 2 cents worth of plastic and 5 cents of electric. If you want let me know what color you like and how many you want for which coils and I’ll send them to you.

Hi, i would very much like to get one of those stiffeners from you in black for the equinox 800 stock coil before i manage to break an ear. Please advise me on this, and i'll happily pay for it.

Hi, i would very much like to get one of those stiffeners from you in black for the equinox 800 stock coil before i manage to break an ear. Please advise me on this, and i'll happily pay for it.

ChrisMD's last activity on this forum was 06-13-20.

Steve. Rawkfist
Place the spacers behind the existing washers in the cavity the OEM washers are in. The spacers move the OEM washers toward the coil ears.
They are not seen when installed. You might have to use some dielectric grease on the OEM teardrop washers to get the shaft between the ears on the coil. And taking up that sloppiness helps the snugging up the coil bolt with much less bending of the ears.
Doug

Thankfully it was still under warranty.

Just got a brand new coil today from Minelab. Whole process took about 10 days. Even with the new one I think I'm going to take your advice Doug with the milk jug washers. Thanks for the reply.
Steve
Place the spacers behind the existing washers in the cavity the OEM washers are in. The spacers move the OEM washers toward the coil ears.
They are not seen when installed. You might have to use some dielectric grease on the OEM teardrop washers to get the shaft between the ears on the coil. And taking up that sloppiness helps the snugging up the coil bolt with much less bending of the ears.
Doug

Update from 1st post

I came across this 3D printer program that solves the issue of coil ear breaking off. I went to our local library this morning they saved the program to their 3D printer and created me this part. With a little cleanup with a razor blade it fits perfectly. I sure hope this is helpful. Here is the link so the file can be downloaded.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3949618

The above link seems to be broken since I created this thread a year ago. Here is a new download program that I found. I have not used it so I am not sure how well it works.

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/minelab-equinox-600-800-eqx11-coil-stiffener

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4103992

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom