Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

Notices

Old 10-27-2020, 11:07 PM

Question Minelab Vanquish 440 vs 540?

Hey guys, havenít posted in a long time. Been out of detecting for years but Iím getting interested again.

Been looking at this Vanquish 440 deal for 279 shipped where you get a 100 dollar pinpointer for free. For 90 more I could get a 540 with the same pinpointer. I do know the differences between the two machines but I was hoping for some advice on whether those extra features are worth the money. I donít see myself detecting in the dark so the back light isnít necessary. I could get a $10 adapter and get the same Bluetooth functionality on the 440 that the 540 has built in. The only thing Iím not sure about is the iron bias adjustability on the 540 versus the fixed ďhighĒ setting on the 440. Is this something I will really regret not having if I go with the 440?

There would be additional savings as well if I go with the 440 because it comes with the 10 inch coil, which Iím hearing is the better balanced coil compared to the 12Ē that comes with the 540. Having the 10 inch coil will prevent a future purchase of the 8 inch coil, which I would probably want to buy if I get the 12 inch coil on the 540

Opinions welcome. Thank you

Old 10-30-2020, 05:14 PM

Ended up going with the 440 because of a less EMI prone coil and a good deal I found. Canít wait to receive it

Last edited by Metallian; 10-30-2020 at 08:34 PM.

Old 10-30-2020, 06:10 PM
Supporter

Sorry, I've never used one..

Old 10-30-2020, 07:56 PM
Elite Member

Just noticed your post, sorry. The Vanquish 440 to me is the steal of the lineup especially if you already have a Bluetooth headphone/transmitter setup or 2.4 gHz setup. Personally, I don't care for the Bluetooth headphones that come with the top of the line Vanquish 540 or the Equinox 800. To my ears they are way too bass heavy with no way to adjust them.

The iron bias issue is only important if you plan to do a lot of hunting in thick iron trash. Otherwise, the Vanquish 440 does very well in normal modern trash with completely ignoring most crown bottle caps in jewelry and coin modes. The 10" coil does balance the Vanquish very well and will detect coin sized objects with outstanding target ID accuracy at or beyond 10" depending on your soil conditions. For a grab and go or beach detector, the Vanquish is hard to beat. Mine detects in moderate to mild dirt almost as well as my Equinox 800 in its basic mode. I so wish I could have had one of these 20 or 30 years ago as my first detector. It detects way above its price and way better than a lot of $600 or more detectors.........Enjoy.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by jmaclen View post
Just noticed your post, sorry. The Vanquish 440 to me is the steal of the lineup especially if you already have a Bluetooth headphone/transmitter setup or 2.4 gHz setup. Personally, I don't care for the Bluetooth headphones that come with the top of the line Vanquish 540 or the Equinox 800. To my ears they are way too bass heavy with no way to adjust them.

The iron bias issue is only important if you plan to do a lot of hunting in thick iron trash. Otherwise, the Vanquish 440 does very well in normal modern trash with completely ignoring most crown bottle caps in jewelry and coin modes. The 10" coil does balance the Vanquish very well and will detect coin sized objects with outstanding target ID accuracy at or beyond 10" depending on your soil conditions. For a grab and go or beach detector, the Vanquish is hard to beat. Mine detects in moderate to mild dirt almost as well as my Equinox 800 in its basic mode. I so wish I could have had one of these 20 or 30 years ago as my first detector. It detects way above its price and way better than a lot of $600 or more detectors.........Enjoy.
Excellent, thank you. I just bought a 3.5mm Bluetooth transmitter on eBay for 7 bucks shipped that I hope will work with the 440. I have some apple AirPods that I like that have noise canceling, so hopefully that works. With the iron bias, after thinking about it some more I probably would always want it in ďhighĒ setting anyway since I would rather lose a few mask targets if it allows me to not dig as much trash. Worthy trade off for me. Now I just need to get some rechargeable batteries. Do you have to use the Minelab ones or can you get an energizer/Duracell setup?

Old 10-30-2020, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Metallian View post
Excellent, thank you. I just bought a 3.5mm Bluetooth transmitter on eBay for 7 bucks shipped that I hope will work with the 440. I have some apple AirPods that I like that have noise canceling, so hopefully that works. With the iron bias, after thinking about it some more I probably would always want it in ďhighĒ setting anyway since I would rather lose a few mask targets if it allows me to not dig as much trash. Worthy trade off for me. Now I just need to get some rechargeable batteries. Do you have to use the Minelab ones or can you get an energizer/Duracell setup?
You can use other rechargeable batteries. I am using Fujitsu that are 2450 mAh. Try to find the highest rated ones you can. I get a whole day of hunting which is all I need. I always take an extra set with me either way.

You will like the Vanquish. Itís very friendly and very capable. Turn it on and youíre off and hunting. Good luck!

Old 10-30-2020, 10:57 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by jmaclen View post

X2..vanquish 440 is just a coin and jewlery vacuum. Iím surprised I donít see more post of people using them

Old 10-31-2020, 05:28 PM

I think a lot of people jumped on the simplex train, one of the best entry detectors on the market now.