silver from the curb...

(Heavy)

Elite Member
Tonight was certainly the most exciting hunt to date for me. I set out at midnight with a hot coffee and no certain destination, it just had to be older houses on an older street. I was looking for it to be garbage day for the neighborhood so I would have trash trucks and curb pickers for company.

Getting weary of over hunted parks and wanting to test my theory that the distance between the curb and the sidewalks on old houses was virgin territory I was determined to deal with whatever happened for walking down one of these old city blocks :lol: I planned on getting some resistance.

Nothing happened! No one came running out at 1am in the morning to ask what the heck I was doing, no police showed up to question me. Any car that passed must have just thought I lived there. Way easier than I expected and I got THREE SILVERS :sweet: Best time I've had yet as a noob Th'er. They weren't even that deep and I didn't go too far down the block. I would still be there but a horrific thunderstorm opened up on me and I had to abort and run for the truck.

I need to tweek two things before I try this again;

My MD display lit me up like a christmas tree even though it was set to the lowest setting on V3i.
The other problem is the garrett Pinpointer.
It might as well have be a siren on a quiet street (the light I need but the BEEP I don't) I either need to rig a light on my Vibra-Probe or tape the speaker... no big deal.

There is SILVER on those service ways and you can reach it from the curb if you don't want to actually walk on people's lawns... but I did get comfortable walking down the city service area at 1-2am in the morning but stepped in a big o'l pile of dog poo :lol: the only hazard.

jackchief3.jpg
Chief says we will do this again, and next time we crank up the gain and bring extra shoes.

Time to change my sig, and what do we call this kind of hunting? Crazy comes to mind
jack-1-1.jpg

101_0687.jpg

Haha, night pirate, way to go on the silver! Don't know nothin bout where you're at so Im not sure if you're insane or clever or both.

Maybe some window tint over the screen?

Haha, night pirate, way to go on the silver! Don't know nothin bout where you're at so Im not sure if you're insane or clever or both.

Maybe some window tint over the screen?

yes... some tinting, getting on 3 am, coffee is wearing off zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Hey i like Pirate!... maybe Curb Pirate?

Congratz on the silvers Chicago! Man, you are brave to wander those city streets like that in the middle of the night. Sorry about your shoes..:lol:

Gemmy

for night hunting i place a bandana over my screen when the back lit screen is on, that way the lit screen doesn't take away from my night vision. i only lift the bandana to see what the target is and during pinpointing. the only light i use while diggin it the light on the propointer.....very handy feature,tape on the propointer does quiet the unit down considerably, also a glow in the dark dot sized sticker on the coil is a big help for pinpointing:D

Last edited:
Congratulations on the silver. I did curb hunting back in the spring during my lunch hour and nobody ever questioned what I was doing. I also found close to a dozen silver coins and lots of wheats. Then the finds dried up. Keep at it, you'll find more silvers.

yes... some tinting, getting on 3 am, coffee is wearing off zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Hey i like Pirate!... maybe Curb Pirate?

Good to see you're getting over your shyness. I'm still scouting for strips to hunt. Time is an issue and I want to make the most of it!

Can't imagine being on the street at that hour detecting, but it worked for you. Nice finds. Silver at any time of day is good. Just be careful and have fun. Congratulations on your success.:yes:

Can't imagine being on the street at that hour detecting, but it worked for you. Nice finds. Silver at any time of day is good. Just be careful and have fun. Congratulations on your success.:yes:

Still surprised that nobody took a shot at you....maybe not a homeowner but the wanna-be gang-bangers cruising the streets.

I've heard that just shooting a person at random is an initiation in some gangs. And they sometimes move out into the better areas of the city to avoid being shot back at if they miss. (I have a degree in Criminology)

So, I would advise you to find a partner just to be safer....we don't want to read about you in the paper...in the wrong section....if you get my drift!

Congrats on the silvers!
Put A piece of reflective tape over the PP speaker. It will quiet it down and make it easier to find if you misplace it during your midnight curb pirating.:pirate:

Excellent hunt.

Be glad you are in Chicago. In a medium size city like mine, I would have been:

A)Harassed
B)Molested
C)Insulted
D)Ran Amok
E)Bitten
F)Flogged
G)And generally met with an attitude of malaise...

...if I was hunting at 1am in front of people's houses

well done on the silver,
the neighbourhood i live in is super old (mid 1700), now you have me siked up for a night of curb crawling, "oh hang on, wrong phrase", well you know what i meen :),

curb if you a brit

nice ideas....

OMGosh you guys give me all kinds of good idea's here... thanks.

1. the glow dot on the coil can be a tiny battery powered led :yes:

2. the reflective tape on the PP would have come in handy twice already

3. I do want to slip something over the display rather then attach anything, maybe panty hose?
jackchief2.jpg
Wait, Chief say's pantyhose is going to be too difficult to explain to the wife and the officer.

I will take a picture of the kind of houses and you will see there are no gangbangers cruising these hoods :lol:

what is that smell in my truck?

Back
Top Bottom